“We were so sad to leave!”

Castle Hill Resort And Spa
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We stayed at the "Castle" for just one night. We arrived around 4pm and left the next day at checkout. We stopped in after spending 4 days in NY and left the "Castle" to spend another 3 days in Boston, so it was our little relaxing break between 2 big cities. It was perfect. There wasn't an elevator, but we didn't mind it at all. Our room was room #1 and was gorgeous. Had a separate living room and an amazing bedroom with a 4 post bed. We had a view of the road out front...we enjoyed the view very much and didn't hear any of the street noise at all...except for the train that only went by once. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The assisted in taking our luggage upstairs. I really can only review the room and the service, as we did not eat dinner at the restaurant on site, but the menu looked really good. We did use the pool and jacuzzi and the gym. I was really impressed with how nice and new all the gym equipment was!! The grounds surrounding the "Castle" were very nice too...we went for a small walk in the morning, but the trail wasn't really very long at all. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and although we live far away in CA, we do plan to return for a visit. The only suggestion I would make is try and find out the details of the room you're staying in. We actually went with another couple and paid the same amount. The room they were given was just a standard room, while ours was HUGE with the living room. Our room was so romantic, my only regret was not staying longer.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #1.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Got a Groupon at $99 and $25 spa discount which we did not use. We thought the Castle was charming. We were in Room 12, 3rd floor. It was clean, quiet and spacious, candles in the fireplace was a nice romantic touch. The outdoor pool and whirlpool were a treat, and the robes provided came in handy. Dinner at the restaurant was convenient and good, although pricey (including drinks). If we stayed there again in the future, I would adventure out to Ludlow for dinner. We went to a local restaurant for breakfast, which as delicious. I found the staff to be very nice, helpful and accommodating.

It's definitely not a 5 star resort as I know them to be, perhaps a 3 star would be good, but a nice 3 star. I'm surprised at all the negative reviews and was nervous about what to expect. Needless to say, we were both pleasantly surprised and enjoyed our nice evening in the mountains of VT.

1  Thank Denise O
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I must begin by saying I got a Groupon to visit and perhaps that is why I was put into such a horrible room I this old stone home, built in the early 1900's; calling it a castle is laughable other than it was built with stone.
My room (#6) was clearly in what once served as quarters for the help. It was in a corridor with maintenance closets and very shabby carpeting. It was also directly over the kitchen. This helped with the heating issue which I will mention later in the review.
The bathroom had a nice big soaking tub with jacuzzi jets but no shower which was a deal killer for my husband.
The heat (or A/C) is delivered thru this huge, very loud gizmo on the wall. We called maintenance to see if we could do something to reduce the horrible racket unfortunately our only option was to turn it off and not have any heat. We chose this option figuring at least we could get some sleep, even if the room was cold, which it was.
Dinner was another disappointment. We were given a menu with only 3 full course options; all of the appetizers were seafood, which I am alergic to, except one cheese thing. My husband and I did not have appetizers yet there was no reduction in the menu price: $54 for rack of lamb, $52 for a steak. Are you kidding? Perhaps in NYC but in the middle of VT, directly on a highway? No way.
The food was fine, just extremely over priced. As we were leaving I saw a menu posted outside the main door, with individual prices for appetizers and salads, along with lower priced entreés: we were not offered that menu.
There was no one to help with our bags. When I called to say we were checking out, I was not asked about our stay or thanked for coming. Zero customer service!
This place does not come close to what they advertise; luxury and elegance are two words I would NEVER use to describe this place. I am thankful we were only there for one night.

• Stayed: November 2011
29  Thank TinySeasideDancer
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Castle building was clean and well cared for. Due to a very late check in, we did not have very much interaction with the hotel staff. Our room was on the top floor, lots of room and a comfortable bed. We did not eat here or use any of the facilities, had breakfast downtown in Ludlow at The Hatchery. Had it not been for the Groupon deal we had, I would not have thought to stay here. Although the Castle building is very nice to look at, it does not seem worth the $299 a night. I would stay again if the price was right or I was there for an event, but not for $299.

Room Tip: we had to book very early to be in the Castle building, otherwise they only had rooms in the condo s...
2  Thank epTravelerBoston
Reviewed 11 November 2011

My 12 year old niece and I had a wonderful experience here last weekend. Dinner was served by a roaring fire in the billard room. We had a fantastic grilled chicken caesar and then shared a chocolate mousse cake dessert by the fire in the Library. Tom played piano and sang us a few songs. The waitstaff was attentive and friendly. Breakfast in the morning was perfect in the sunny front breakfast room. Then we went next door to what must have originally been the stables and has turned into an Aveda spa. The pool was the perfect temperature as well as the jacuzzi. All in all a fun weekend. We stopped at the Vermont Country Store and then Manchester on the way home.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Denise540
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Had weekend dinner reservations in October and found the castle setting truly breathtaking. The magnificent restaurant is housed in a few of the mansion's formal rooms encased in richly panelled walls, lacey plasterwork ceilings and with elegant fireplaces that were aglow that evening. It is with pleasure to note that the food lived up to the setting and the price-fixed menu offerings were dellicious and the staff friendly and competent throughout. (The crab cakes, filet mignons, lamb chops, tuna, dessert selections did not disappoint). A special place for a memorable meal. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2011

There must be a big difference between the accommodation in the Castle Inn and Pointe Hotel.

We got a Groupon early April for one night stay for $99 and called the resort right away. Then found that the only one available weekend stay for the Castle room was in the last weekend of October. So I grabbed it. I am glad we could get a Castle room.

When we arrived, the foliage was almost gone and the snow storm was coming. I was a bit nervous wondering if it was a good choice to come here, especially after reading many negative reviews in Tripadvisor. The check in was processed at the Pointe Hotel on route 103, and the Castle Inn was right behind the hotel on the hill. The Castle building looked more like a classy stone house from outside and smaller than I thought. The moment we walked in the Castle building, however, I was glad we came.

All the interior woodwork was absolutely stunning and the original plaster decorated sealing was reserved beautifully. There was no one to greet us when we walked in, so we walked around and found the way to our room. It was a castle queen room as stated in Groupon, in the second floor. There was no elevator in the building, so people with heavy luggage or difficulty with stairs would have a trouble.

Our room was not huge but clean and classically appointed with a lovely queen canopy bed and three chars, as well as a flat screen TV, a coffee machine, and two complimentary bottles of water. I assume that the bed was antique because the mattress came high above the floor. The room had a Gothic feel with a mountain view in the distance. The bathroom was tiny and no tub, but everything was in working condition. I felt comfortable and liked our room very much.

Then we explored the building a little. There was a piano and a fireplace in the library and the other side was a classy and beautiful restaurant. The woodwork inside the building was astonishing. One lady was guiding some guests in the building, and another young lady, Nicole, offered us a mini tour of the building. She was very sweet and kind and said the mansion was built 1905 by wealthy Vermont governor.

We did not have a chance to use their spa or restaurant because of another plan we had, so I cannot comment on those. We did enjoy our stay and would love to come back if we get the same deal again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavendish
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Kedron Valley Inn
Kedron Valley Inn
#5 of 6 in Woodstock
Woodstock Inn and Resort

Been to Castle Hill Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!