“Historic trek--”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cavendish
Rochester, New Hampshire
“Historic trek--”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I traveled with my 13 yr old daughter who found this castle to be "so cool"...We loved the charm and the old furnishings--The pool was beautiful as well as the 5 foot deep hot tub which I think is very old and could be apart of the original setting. The grounds were very serene and well kept! We ate there also and she loved the food! We slept well and I really would love if they did a tour of the house or at least a history lesson. Maybe share in some old tales of the place. I did read about the home which explained some in our room guest book. I would love to go back someday.

Room Tip: we stayed on the top floor--I would recommend if you have health issues to book a room on the first...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Zealandgirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Salem, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We choose our hotels by their pools and this one is a beauty. Big old hot tub too. Plenty of chairs, towels and umbrellas, located adjacent to the spa so (did not indulge) surrounded by gardens. Our room (11) was up on the third floor, it would be very tough for someone with health limitations, however minor, to use this room. Also I don't think families with kids would want to make this climb. It is a very steep climb up there. There are three buildings: The Point which are modern condos, the rooms in the spa building which are not that spacious and of modern design. And then there's the Castle. If you have trouble with stairs, this is not the building for you. Also the entry to the Castle is tricky. You enter from the rear of the building thru the carriage port which lands you directly into a formal hall which is sometimes used for wedding receptions. So you are traipsing thru someone's formal reception in your bathing suit or just your casual clothes. You cannot use the front entrance because it is blocked by the manager's desk. Bring your own blow drier as theirs shut off. Also bring a bright reading light as the rooms are huge, but dark so you might need extra light to read by. Our clawfoot bathtub did not have a stopper. Maybe that was by design? Very hard to get hot water going, but that makes your Castle experience more authentic. Enjoy.

Room Tip: The stairs are very, very steep in the Castle building and there is no elevator or help. Not appropr...
3 Thank leafpeeper98
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

So much to say about this property. I really was apprehensive about coming because of the not so great reviews but I have to say I am so thrilled we came and enjoyed 2 wonderful nights. I'll start with the check-in which is done at the Pointe. Our check-in was done quickly and although the girl was polite she was not warm but that's ok. The next two days, our interaction with the front desk to find out about places to see was very friendly and extremely helpful. One of the ladies even went out of the way to make a phone call to the chamber of commerce to help me find a specific place I was looking for! Back to the first day, we made our way up the hill to the castle. All the people whining that is not a real castle, get over yourselves. That place is a mansion built in 1905 and if they want to call it the castle, so be it. Something so majestic and antique in age is bound to have quirks but so does a Holiday Inn or wherever else you choose to say. If you can't appreciate the quirks then this place is probably not for you.

We stayed in room 4 and it was lovely. I loved the fireplace and although the fireplaces no longer work, they did have candles provided to give us a nice glow. We had a great area to enjoy the view from the window, too. The room was serene and we didn't hear any of our neighbors.

Our first evening there we ate in their beautiful dining room and although the food was terribly overpriced, it was very good. Had it not been our 27th wedding anniversary, we probably would have chosen to eat elsewhere. I have a multitude of food allergies and they were all very attentive and my food still tasted wonderfully. Our server Megan was the best and atmosphere was one that you could easily hold a conversation without screaming across the table.

We also enjoyed the pool, sauna, and hot tub as well as the lovely gardens.

Now for a little bit of the downside. I did mention that a place this old has quirks and although I understand and appreciate that owners want to keep as much as the original tiles, woodwork, etc, the bathroom left little to be desired. Although I am sure it had been cleaned because our room was immaculate, it's hard to rest when the toilet is brown from old iron stains, the tub back ups, the tub tiles are cracked and very unsightly, not to mention the windows were so dirty we could not see through them. I think there has to be a happy harmony here between being pleasing to the eyes and keeping the charm from yesteryear.

With all this said, I would definitely come back again and highly recommend it to anyone who loves the charm of yesteryear.

2 Thank Enzalina
Cromwell, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband and I just spent two lovely nights at the Castle and enjoyed every minute. First impressions mean a lot and the Castle itself is a gem. With only 10 rooms, this small hotel feels cozy and intimate, quiet and serene. The architecture of the building and the woodworking details are really wonderful. The guest rooms and bathrooms are large and the decor makes you feel as if you went back in time. There are many stairs to climb, so this would definitely be an issue for someone who can't climb them. The grounds are just beautiful, with the loveliest of gardens that were just starting to bloom this past week.
As others stated, the formal, oval dining room is beautiful. Dinner is quite pricey but very, very good. The service was as it should be - gracious and attentive. Breakfast, in the same lovely room, was perfect and quite reasonable.
I took advantage of the Aveda spa and had a wonderful massage.
We had the pleasure of meeting Bruce, the owner, and his general manager, both of whom could not have been nicer or more welcoming. Compliments to the entire staff as well for making us feel welcomed into this "old world" charming lodge. We highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to take a step back in time.

1 Thank 001LDZ
Allamuchy, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We were excited about spending a few days at this property. If you love B&B's and historical homes, stay at the castle, not the hotel. We had a beautiful room which was huge and very nicely decorated. Our bed was a 4 post, there was a comfy couch in front of a fireplace which they placed candles in so we could light them for ambiance, the fireplaces are sealed and no longer used. Having been an owner of a historical home, I understand why they have sealed them. I was very happy to see that the AC in the room is an individual unit, was comfortable and you are able to adjust it to your comfort. The bed was big and slightly too hard for my comfort and they rationed the towels and toiletries which leaves a negative vibe with me..

The bathroom was very clean and a nice Jacuzzi awaited us. Later, I realized there was no shower, but there was a handle on the bath that you can sit in and take a sitting shower, it worked for those who don't like baths.

Sitting around and looking at all the detail/artesian wood/molding work in the house was fun and was beautiful to see restored in it's glory including on the stairs, see pictures below.

I do have one negative comment about this site. We felt like we were all alone and there was no luggage service (we had to pull our luggage up to the second floor, there was a delightful tiny Ukrainian young lady who asked us if she could help us but, who would make her carry heavy suitcases up the two flights of steps) no room service, but there was that Ukrainian lady who ran to fill our ice bucket and was very helpful. Seems like they should have a tea/coffee and cookie spread around 4, a wine tasting with cheese and cracker's, something that would make all the people staying there come together and enjoy the Castle. Not having that type of event makes everyone a stranger who is visiting and gives the castle a very cold feeling.

The outside pool is gloriously warm at around 85 and I enjoyed it immensely. Since there was nothing to do on the grounds, we left and visited area cheese and wine businesses, the Robert Todd Lincoln" Hildene" Estate which is worth visiting. We didn't have time to book a massage since we had to go elsewhere to busy ourselves.

The dinner we had was delicious, slightly over priced but it was very good. They also offered a lower priced option so we had one lower priced and one more expensive item. The service was excellent and all of our needs were taken care of.

Room Tip: Stay in the Castle it is magnificent.
1 Thank Janette S
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Castle with another couple a few week-ends ago. After mixed reviews on tripadvisor, we really didn't know what to expect... Let me just say we were completely blown away by the concierge, Carmen and her hospitality and charm! she is a true asset and complements the beautiful historic Castle perfectly! The history behind the walls, the charm, the well maintained grounds, the very relaxing pool and hot tub at the spa...made our stay truly enjoyable and relaxing!! The only down fall was the check in at the hotel down billow the Castle..the girl was very impersonal not very friendly and the whole check in process seemed forced and rushed...it's too bad but the Castle and Carmen's personality made up for it and more...
We will be back Castle hill resort- our home away from home!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank John V
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I recently spent a weekend at this resort. The Castle was built in the early 1900's has a limited number of rooms (#10). It is a majestic stone building overlooking the Black River. The rooms are large and comfortable with clean bathrooms. However, there is not an elevator and the climb to the 3rd floor is quite a hike with bags. My biggest complaint is the lack of lighted fire exit signs. It is hard to believe that they were non-existent. There are smoke detectors, a sprinkler system and an emergency lighting system. The dinner service was excellent but expensive. The breakfast offering was excellent and reasonably priced. The salt water heated pool and hot tub were great!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sailor-NHYC
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavendish
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Grafton Inn
#1 of 1 in Grafton
Mountain Lodge at Okemo
Woodstock Inn and Resort

Been to Castle Hill Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!