“It's like staying at home while on the road”

Hugging Bear Inn & Shoppe
Ranked #3 of 9 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The impression you will most probably carry away is the friendliness. And yes, the teddy bears - they are all over the place. This place also welcomes children - a lot of bed and breakfasts don't. The property is a friendly old house and can do with some sprucing up. May be some bears could also be confined to the shop at the back. But we did not really mind this at all as the family that runs it is charming. For us breakfast was relaxed and we enjoyed the food and conversation. There is a bit of history around town and some prior reading and planning is advised. You would do well to plan to spend some time, if not money, in the shop at the back or the barn/gallery next to the house.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shoumo

Reviewed 26 June 2013

The exterior really needed to be repainted and the inside was stuffed full of dusty clutter. It was like a room that you've seen so often and looked at so often that you stop "seeing" it. Teddy bears on top of knick-knacks on top of doo-dads--every surface cluttered with barely-cute "stuff" that needed a good cleaning. It's gone way over the edge from quaint to just old. The beds were quite comfortable, but again the room was stuffed full of furniture. Please remember that the guests need somewhere to put their suitcases! The arm chair and tables look great upon entering the room, until you realize that there's not an inch of free floor space to set down a suitcase! Breakfast was just the same pancakes, eggs and bacon I can cook myself any Sunday. I think people expect something more at B&Bs these days--at least a custom granola, maybe some artsy muffin, just something with a little more "special" to it. All in all, a disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank wrinkledpassport
Reviewed 18 May 2013

we had a wonderful time, We will go back there again, The people that own the b&b were awesome people, we felt very welcome, and the food was great. I recommend this place every one who is traveling, if you are a bear collector, they have any bear you want.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Gary W
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Lovely place, lovely innkeepers. We really felt like part of a big family. Owner Laura is a holistic acupuncturist and Scott is an amazing artist. Everything they prepare for breakfast is either organic or natural.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Inci K
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This place reminded me of my auntie's house from childhood, so I mmediately felt at home. The innkeepers are lovely. I really enjoyed the Tower Room (the multi-sided room in front). I didn't notice any street noise and the bed was extremely comfortable. Wonderful breakfast--best pancakes I ever had. This is a great place to visit with a group of friends.

Room Tip: If you don't like teddy bear decor or small children, you might want to consider a different pla...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank calicosandie
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We returned to the Hugging Bear Inn after a couple visits over 20 years ago. It is still a wonderful quaint bed & breakfast in a lovely little town. Georgette, the innkeeper for all these years, greeted us with a smile and hug. Little has changed in all these years. They are a family friendly hotel, although we were visiting for our 25th anniversary. There are various rooms to choose from each with different types of bed choices all with teddy bears. We were in the Tower Room which is small but charming with a private small bath. The breakfasts were delicious – Georgette is a wonderful cook – we love her apple pancakes. She is very knowledgeable about the area and was able to give recommendations of places to shop and eat. We enjoyed the inn and teddy bear shop attached. There is also an art gallery in the carriage house. We enjoyed meeting Laura, Scott and Fiona – Georgette’s family and innkeepers as well, or in Fiona’s case, Jr. Innkeeper and greeter. Chester is a lovely town and is only 30 minutes or so from Manchester where we spent a day shopping as well. Visiting the Hugging Bear is like going home. I’m sure we will be back again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peggy B
Reviewed 9 June 2012

In my opinion, you can't beat the hospitality, wonderful breakfast, and the fact that the owners are real people! I felt instantly, that I could make myself at home....and I did! Georgette and her family make you part of their family within moments of your arrival. Already booked for next year!! I can't wait. Wonderful people make the world a much better place!....at the Hugging Bear, the owner truly cares and makes your get-away the BEST! Thank You Georgette, and your family, for a wonderful 3 nights!
Tip: You might want to visit the Art gallery on site.....amazing talent in this family! I also found the Teddy Bear shop to be a must see! I HAD to bring a few of the bears home! What a delightful shop. L.H from MA

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lynn H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Grafton Inn
Inn Victoria
Inn Victoria
#1 of 9 in Chester
Stone Hearth Inn and Tavern

Been to Hugging Bear Inn & Shoppe? Share your experiences!