“Wonderful Victorian Inn and Teddy Bear Shop”

Hugging Bear Inn & Shoppe
Ranked #3 of 9 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The Hugging Bear Inn and Shoppe combines all of the best qualities of a classic Victorian Inn in a charming town in central Vermont, with all of the love, affection and fun of teddy bears. The famous Teddy Bear Shoppe (open to the public) is connected to the Inn and gives visitors a chance to browse bears ranging from plush toys perfect to kids, to high-end artist and collectible bears from Steiff. The family-run inn is well-run, clean, friendly and right in the middle of town. This is a perfect place to stay for romantic couples or families and located perfectly to explore Vermont. The location is excellent, so it's worth staying here even without the Teddy Bear decor. And, if you do love teddy bears, it's a great place to stop by even if you're not staying here. If you do stay, ask about package deals sometimes available with discounts to the shop. A great find and a place to return to often.

Room Tip: The Tower Room is cozy and comfortable, for couples only, with a great view of main street Chester...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Matt M

Reviewed 22 December 2013

A great place to kick back and relax - for the past 3 years have made an annual weekend trip with 8 of my stitching friends up there and we have a great time every year. More like visiting family than staying at an Inn, and the breakfasts are fantastic. It's the type of place where you can kick your shoes off and be comfortable, and is a great central locatiion for day-tripping around Vermont.

Room Tip: The Bear Den and Pandamonium rooms are my favorites - Panda has the biggest bathroom.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank beckydory
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My husband and I have made many trips to this wonderful B & B in the delightful town of Chester,VT! The Inn-keeper,Georgette, and her family are warm and friendly folks who always make you feel at home. This is one of my favorite places to be!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joanne U
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Friendly B&B with more cuddly bears than people, 10 000 at the latest count! Our room (Pooh and Piglet Hideaway was on the small side but comfortable. The bathroom was tiny.Delicious breakfast. For a slightly special meal, The Fullerton Inn also offered first rate food.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MillbrookCottage
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My daughter and I stayed at the Hugging Bear several years back! It is a trip we still laugh about since I had to buy new blankets and pillows; the stuff that was on our beds made us itch and was filthy. I spent the afternoon on Saturday cleaning the dust off of the shelves. In the middle of the night, I left my daughter in the living room and ran across the street to the Fullerton to try to get a clean room, but unfortunately for us, the Fullerton was locked for the evening. Boo Hoo! I don't know if the same lady owns it, but it is not a place I would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Maria C
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We were planning a trip to Vermont in the Fall and wanted to stay somewhere centrally located for a few days so that we could explore the area. Several of the popular (and very expensive) inns were already booked when I found this inn. Chester is very close to all the little villages you want to explore - Grafton, Weston, Newfane, etc. and the rate was very good. So I decided to give it a try. Yes, there are Teddy bears everywhere. Yes, it seems cluttered and eclectic. But the family is warm and welcoming, the breakfasts are made to order, and the rooms are clean. It was more like visiting a distant relative than staying in a B&B with an Innkeeper. We had the tower room, which faced the front. There was a bit of street noise, but my earplugs did the trick and I slept great. The bathroom was a bit small and there were no supplies that you would normally expect in an inn - soap for the shower, shampoo, hair dryer, etc. I was OK with all of it, except the soap. We made do with the hand soap pump from the sink and mentioned it to Laura in the morning. She apologized and said that there should have been some soap packages and would replace them for us. That night we had three small packages of the Vermont soap that is so wonderful. All in all it was a great place to stay to explore the area without paying more than twice the price. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: There is a fair amount of street noise as the inn is right on the main highway through town, so if t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Never2MuchTravel
Reviewed 15 September 2013

The impression you will most probably carry away is the friendliness. And yes, the teddy bears - they are all over the place. This place also welcomes children - a lot of bed and breakfasts don't. The property is a friendly old house and can do with some sprucing up. May be some bears could also be confined to the shop at the back. But we did not really mind this at all as the family that runs it is charming. For us breakfast was relaxed and we enjoyed the food and conversation. There is a bit of history around town and some prior reading and planning is advised. You would do well to plan to spend some time, if not money, in the shop at the back or the barn/gallery next to the house.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shoumo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Grafton Inn
0 mi away
Chester House Inn
Chester House Inn
#4 of 9 in Chester

Been to Hugging Bear Inn & Shoppe? Share your experiences!