“Inexpensive and Romantic Vermont Getaway!”
Review of Fullerton Inn

Fullerton Inn
Ranked #4 of 9 Chester B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Chester is a quaint, beautiful little Vermont town and this place is in the center of all the action. The inn is within walking distance to a great health food store as well as a quaint little Scottish pub, a nice book store, shops, and more. We stayed in room #4 with a full bed and it is slightly small, but... the close quarters made it that much more romantic! It was cozy, clean, and well appointed!

The continental breakfast included in the room rate was top notch! They had fresh fruit (berries, grapes, pineapple and more) and awesome fresh homemade scones.. They also had delicious waffles, bagels, cereal, yogurt, etc.. Long story short, this is probably the best "continental" breakfast we have ever had. They really do a great job with breakfast...

If you are looking for a relaxing getaway in a nice small Vermont community, this place will not dissappoint. We hope to come back real soon.

P.S. The WIFI is free and worked great, but there are no TV's in the rooms. It's kind of nice that way!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fullerton Inn

Reviewed 14 March 2013

A wonderful place to lay your head. My son and I were well received and were made immediately at home. The rooms were clean and comfortable. My son and I were there for one night and shared a room with two twins. The room was not what I would call spacious but definitely more than adequate. The bathroom was neat and proper and had all the amenities. Breakfast was served downstairs in the Breakfast dining area in a buffet style and was scrumtious. The coffee piping hot and the food selection was very good. I would definitely go back. The pricing was fair.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We have stayed at the Fullerton twice already and both times, the experience has more or less been the same. The location is nice (Chester is not that big) and within walking distance to the handful of local eateries. It is also a few minutes' drive away from Ludlow (and Okemo mountain).

The inn itself has a large, nice lobby with a fireplace, games, and often, people. It opens to the inn restaurant (which we did not experience, unfortunately) so the lobby can be quite full, loud, and busy around mealtimes. There are parking spots in front of the inn that runs down the strip of stores next to it but the spots may fill near mealtimes.

The rooms themselves (we have stayed in two different ones on the third floor) are clean but leaves a bit more to be desired. They are minimally furnished, do not have TVs, and generally are rather cold (the heat does kick up a bit more overnight but there is no self-regulation; there are many blankets available that can be used). The walls are also rather thin, so there is a good amount of ambient noise. Mind you, there is a walk-up to get to the rooms (up to three floors).

The inn is a rather big place with many available rooms. The breakfast offers some average choices and pales somewhat compared to what one would expect. Overall, it is an average place. The inn owners are kind, helpful, and attentive to any problems in the rooms.

High points:
1. Location to town eateries and to Okemo.
2. It's a large place, so there is a higher chance of getting a room.
3. It has its own restaurant.
4. Ample parking depending on time of day (see below).

Low points:
1. Rooms are rather simple and can be chilly at night during the winter.
2. Noises from other rooms can be heard.
3. Breakfast is a bit lackluster.
4. Parking can fill up quickly around mealtimes.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I have to preface this with my prejudice... I love Vermont and have been familiar with this area for the last decade. This most likely pushed my stay at the Fullerton from a 3 to 4 star experience.
This is a funky B&B/Inn where you can do what you want without the owner becoming part of your life... They are accomodating and friendly but not clingy as can happen in B&B's .
Rooms are small clean and adequate as woulf be expected of a 19th century hostel. No TV in the room... YES... bit lots of distractions in the common area including a jigsaw puzzle.
The restaurant and tavern ok.. trying to do more than it needed.. and the complimentary breakfasts were ok as well.... nothing to write home about.

I'd stay here in the future if I were traveling to Chester.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank dennis u
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Although we're from out of state, we drive through Chester often and thought why not stop for lunch at the Fullerton Inn tavern for lunch, having never stopped there. Walked in the inn's front door and were directed into the tavern, "lunch, that way". The main area looked lovely with it's huge stone fireplace. The tavern was a bit cool inside so we decided to sit by the fireplace for warmth. The menus were already on the table and the waitress took our drink order. I asked about the specials, as she hadn't reviewed them and they weren't on their wall board. We noticed them on a board outside but couldn't remember them all. After receiving our drinks, and then taking our lunch order, the waitress came back and stood by the bar near our table watching a wall tv and making comments about what a bad night she had the night before, hadn't slept well, how tired she was, etc, and didn't leave...made me uncomfortable. She brought my soup and slapped it down on the table in front of my husband, he told her it was mine. She tossed the crackers my way. She again remarked how tired she was. No one else was in the restaurant. She left and I noticed there was just one small log on the fire that needed more wood. No one tended to it. The soup was a little odd tasting, but I ate it as I was cold and hungry. The lunch arrived, chicken parm sandwiches. We tasted them and thought how weird they tasted, what was all the soggy coating, odd flavor, and almost inedible bread, and tasted almost like something that had been in the refrigerator too long...but the waitress never returned to ask us how the meals were. She finally came back and I told her they were terrible. First she thought I was talking about the weather forecast and then realized I meant the food. She left and returned with the owner who apologized and said all ingredients are freshly made but she would not charge us for our lunch and did we want anything else? We declined. It turns out the chicken was breaded in a beer batter with dill, maybe that's the reason for the odd flavor, but it was awful. It definitely was not what I was expecting a chicken parm sandwich to be. This is the only time I can remember a dining out experience I would call terrible. My recommendation, if you go here, ask before ordering specifically what ingredients are used even if it's an item you enjoyed elsewhere in the past. If the wait staff doesn't seem to care if you're there when you first arrive, leave!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheEnergizerGram
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We are an older couple who wanted a small private wedding at a Vermont B and B. The Fullerton Inn was a charming venue, with a lovely back deck on which to take our vows. Our room on the third floor was more like a suite, with a sofa and chair. Very spacious, clean and comfortable. We, as well as my daughter and husband, very much enjoyed the dinner in the restaurant later. Wonderful menu, and my new husband loved the beer sampler. Very pleasant, competent waitress. The " continental breakfast" was all that and more. The scones were to die for, wonderful self serve waffle maker, several juice selections, yogurt, fresh fruit bowl. The Inn was not full at all, and yet the entire breakfast was put out and not skimped on.
A few small concerns. WiFi was very sporadic, but we weren't there to watch TV anyway. However, my daughter and husband were flying out to Las Vegas for a conference right before Hurricane Sandy was to hit and were frantic trying to change plane flights, and simply could not get on line to make arrangements. Upon leaving, we had to bag up our own trash and leave it in the hallway, as it appeared that housekeeping had not been into the room during our three night stay. Also, when we arrived, we discovered that we had been booked for the previous night in error, despite having stopped at the Inn 2 weeks previous to see it and confirm with the Innkeeper. We had also indicated we would be paying in cash, and yet my debit card, which we had to give for security, had been run, and of course " declined " since I keep it only for incidentals. So that was awkward.
Despite these minor glitches, we had a wonderful, relaxing time. The Innkeepers were pleasant and accommodating, and we will definitely be back for our anniversary next year, perhaps even sooner.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2012

I can only comment on the food at The Fullerton Inn as we have a vacation home in Chester. My husband and I have been dining at the Inn for many years. The owners are very welcoming and the food is delicious. There is a wonderful variety of choices as well as a good price range. We always have a great meal at the Fullerton. The decor and atmosphere are captivating and the service is friendly but professional and the staff go out of their way to make sure you have a positive experience. Thank you for everything!!

Room Tip: Just have been in the Dining Room and Tavern!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Grafton Inn
Chester House Inn
#3 of 9 in Chester
Rose Arbour Bed and Breakfast
Hugging Bear Inn & Shoppe

Been to Fullerton Inn? Share your experiences!