“Secret Garden with Magnificent Quiche”
Review of Baba A Louis

Baba A Louis
Ranked #2 of 2 Dessert in Chester
Price range: US$0 - US$8
Cuisines: American
Middlebury, Vermont
“Secret Garden with Magnificent Quiche”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

While the lunch options are limited, the quiche is magnificent (mostly vegetables), and the soup is often very good. The setting feels quaint and quiet, with a garden and almost European feel. The bakery is known for its bread; the deserts are also excellent. There is something magical about Baba A Louis, almost like The Secret Garden. I look forward to a return visit.

• Visited August 2012

Darien, Connecticut, United States
“Stop for Bread--Skip the Lunch”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We have been enjoying Baba A Louis bread for years. The bread is fresh, often hot and always delicious. The building is also worth a visit. If I were just rating the bread, it would get a 4 or 5.

Unfortunately, we made the mistake of getting lunch yesterday. Our hopes were high for a ham and swiss sandwich on their warm bread, particularly at $7.50 for a sandwich. When we got out to the car and opened it up, there were a measly two thin slices of ham and one slice of cheese--it was actually hard to see any filling from the side. I went back in to ask, very calmly, if this was a mistake and was told that no, in fact this is what I was entitled to for $7.50 because "Ham is an expensive ingredient". I doubt it is more expensive than losing a loyal customer, which is what it cost them (and they seemed quite unfazed when I expressed that I would never be back for lunch). In short, the sandwich was a rip-off (at $3.50 I probably wouldn't have complained) and their response to my question was even worse. If I were just rating lunch, it would get a 1 or 2.

We are likely to be back for bread, but that is all.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank pmichalski
Amesbury, Massachusetts
“Daily Bread and serenity”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

This restaurant is beautifully built with naturally stained beams in the shape of a boat, tall and arching over the tables. The smell of freshly baked bread envelopes your senses and the owner/chef was right at the counter to show us the specials and take our order. Prices were so reasonable, we had to take another look to make sure we had it right. Family of 4 had a beautiful hand crafted meal of eggs, sausages, waffles, oemlet and crepe for 32.00

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Devorah D
Vermont
“Fabuloous breads and other baked goods”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Whether you want a nice homemade lunch served cafeteria style or want to run in and grab some great bread for home, it's the place to go.

Connecticut
“Great breads & sandwiches!”
Reviewed 7 September 2010

six ovens bake dozens of different breads and fresh sandwiches are prepared on the spot. Simple, clean, good service, delicious Anadama bread!