“Great Stay Along the Way”
Review of Chester House Inn

Chester House Inn
Ranked #3 of 9 Chester B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Great Stay Along the Way”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This bed and breakfast was a stop along the way for our family cycling trip. Although only there one night, the stay was relaxing and the room was spacious and comfortable. The inn keeper, Bob, was very friendly and accomodating and I would stay there again just for the breakfast waffles which were devoured in an instant by all three kids.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
connecticut
Reviewed 3 March 2013

I have stayed at this very bed and breakfast before. It is under new ownership, and the new owners are nice people, but they aren't carrying the standard set by the old owners. Our room was the Octavius Suite, with the steam shower. The shower worked well, and the room had a fireplace as advertised. But the bed was horrible. 8 inch mattresses don't provide the comfort one expects in a $210 night room. This is the age of pillow tops, and after two nights our bodies ached terribly. The other half of a bed and breakfast is the breakfast. It should be many things, but never light. The skier's breakfast (different here from the "full" breakfast) consisted of a bagel and a muffin. Most hotel chains offer hot continental breakfasts which are better. The "full" breakfast was not so much. An apple crisp and a small piece of egg casserole. And a child sized muffin. Not what I'm used to in a bed and breakfast. Breakfast is the cheapest meal to serve, yet it appeared that this inn was on a budget. And after all of this, we were urged as we left to submit a good review. Somewhat rude, I thought. Especially when undeserved. I will not return, for either of the reasons listed above.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Cortland, New York
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Part of the Inn is 230 years old with an original fireplace. You walk into that room to check in and to have breakfast. How awesome it would have been to be greeted by a roaring fire with the smell of wood smoke. There was no fire burning but thankfully they did light a fire on our second day there after we requested it. The breakfasts and home made cookies for snacks were great. Our bed was not comfortable however and we constantly rolled to the middle. We'll pick another B&B on our next trip.

Room Tip: the bed in room 4 was below average
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dix Hills, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2013

We chose the Chester House Inn for a ski and stay package with skiing at Okemo (about 12-13 miles away). We were not disappointed. Our room (#3) was cozy with a king size bed and gas fireplace. The breakfasts were more than plentiful, starting with either freshly baked muffins or scones, followed by a fruit course (baked apple, yogurt parfait, banana pillows (more like dessert), followed by either an egg course or pancakes or waffles, accompanied by choice of juice and coffee/tea. Home-baked cookies and snacks and coffee/tea/hot cocoa are always available. The innkeepers, Jan and Bob, are friendly and accommodating, and their suggestion for a special place to go for dinner on Valentine's Day was spot on. When we had trouble finding a television channel we were searching for (a tv is available in the shared "keep room"), Bob came out and helped. Our first day, Jan and Bob went to pick up the newest addition to their family -- Archie -- a nine week old yellow Labrador Retriever puppy. Knowing we were dog lovers, when my husband asked to take a parting picture of Archie, Bob offered to let me hold him. Our vacation was complete! Archie joined three Welsh corgis and a cat which are all kept in the owners' private part of the house. When I realized they had a cat (to which I have a serious allergy), Bob offered to move our room upstairs without our asking. He also told me he would make even more of an effort than usual to assure the cat did not come out even briefly into the dining area. We decided to wait to see if we wanted to take him up on the offer, and It turned out not to be a problem, but we appreciated his thoughtfulness. We would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
East Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 January 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Chester House Inn during the recent holiday season. Jan and Bob were very gracious and accomodating hosts. The inn and property are very well maintained. We really enjoyed our room which included a 4 poster bed, gas fireplace and a very large bath which has a Steam Shower. The breakfast's are unique and very tasty. My wife was quite pleased with the food and service though I joked with Bob that I wasn't a breakfast person. I would defintely recommend this Inn to anyone looking to stay in a peaceful setting. Chester, the town is charming and we are looking forward to returning again in the future.
John & Denise

Room Tip: View the web site photos of the rooms, each are unique. At least 4 of the rooms are facing the stree...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We decided to take a weekend in New England and with my experience leading group tours throughout the area, I wanted to stay somewhere the regular hotels my tour companies use...so we chose a B&B. I read quite a few reviews and decided on Chester House, and glad I did.

Arriving in a drizzle and cool temps, I knew this is exactly what I wanted! And the feeling of coming into a country inn and being hit with the smell of fresh baked muffins was awesome! I couldn't wait ti try the complimentary chocolate chip cookies and coffee -- great way to start a stay.

We really enjoyed our room (#4) complete with a necessary gas fireplace and enjoyable jacuzzi, which we did get to use. The weather was chilly enough to utilize the fireplace, I was happy about that.

Breakfasts were fantastic as we enjoyed the homemade muffins we had smelled upon arrival, eggs, pancakes, fruit cups, juice and coffee. We especially enjoyed the homey feel of the breakfast area where we got to have share conversation with other guests. That was probably the biggest reason to choose a B&B, the sense of a weekend home and isolation from the masses enjoying the Fall foliage season.

It worked out perfectly!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I was travelling to VT to meet some friends and found it difficult finding a hotel for a weekend in late Sept. I researched the different towns and found that Chester has a great location to other attractions including Woodstock, Grafton, Killington, and state parks including Mount Ascutney.

I ended up picking the Chester House Inn because it had availability at a reasonable price and liked the location. The house is nice and has been improved. I stayed in room 7 with my wife and the bed was comfortable, but no special amenities such as fridge or TV, but that was expected. Linens were clean and comfortable, but it was dusty behind the bed. Breakfast is truly a treat so bring your appetite and enjoy. The owners have several friendly pets, but none will roam anywhere near the private rooms.

Chester is a quaint town and people there are very friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Grafton Inn
#4 of 9 in Chester
The Karass Inn
The Karass Inn
#7 of 9 in Chester

Been to Chester House Inn? Share your experiences!