“Lovely house, charming hosts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chester House Inn

Chester House Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Chester B&B and Inns
“Lovely house, charming hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

If you are looking for a quiet getaway to a place where you are made to feel at home, then head to the Chester House Inn. Visit the inn’s website (http://www.chesterhouseinn.com/), and you will notice that the slogan reads, “…where everyone is treated like family.” True to this slogan, innkeepers Jan and Robert Francis go out of their way to make their home your home for the duration of your stay. Each guest is made to feel like a welcomed family member and the innkeepers go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your visit to the inn and find your way to other areas of interest. The Chester House Inn serves as an excellent base camp for a relaxing weekend in the beautiful state of Vermont. For visitors who prefer a bit more excitement, the Chester House Inn is a great hub between two of Vermont’s popular ski resorts – Okemo and Bromley. Whether you plan to relax in one of the seven tastefully appointed impeccably clean rooms, explore the friendly nearby shops and restaurants, play a few holes of golf at one of the nearby courses, enjoy the splendor of the autumn foliage, or hit the slopes and hiking trails that streak through Vermont, The Chester House Inn is the ideal spot for your next getaway.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Denise P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Very friendly and helpful host who helped us with maps and told us about interesting places to stop. Lovely 1860 home. Great location, several restaurants nearby, within walking distance
Bikes were allowed to be stored safely in the shed
Highly recommended, will be back

• Stayed June 2014
jfrancis0150, Owner at Chester House Inn, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for your kind words about chester house inn. It is always a great pleasure to hear that we are serving our customers well. We look forward to serving you again soon. Gratefully,chester house inn
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Last weekend we stayed at Chester House Inn. We skied in Stratton and Okemo. Chester is a great alternative a for ski trip. The Inn is centrally located and walking distance to many food options. The innkeepers were welcoming and friendly. The room was spacious for two and the breakfast was a really good deal. Their are other options to stay in the area but I think Chester House is the best value. I would go back to the inn for weekend getaways!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
jfrancis0150, Owner at Chester House Inn, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
We thank you and hope to see you again soon. Bob & Jan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed there on two occasions. The inn keepers are warm and friendly. They greet you with free cookies and very nice choice of Keurig coffee.
Be warned that the inn is home to several big dogs. If you are allergic to dogs, this might be an issue for you.
The common area is very small but rustic. The inn keepers make a very nice breakfast. Each breakfast we have had there was unique and surprising. They do some traditional breakfasts and some unique, such as a parfait with fresh blue berries.
The rooms are typical B&B antique type rooms with home made quilts and wide pine floors. The beds had Godiva chocolates on the pillows.
The town of Chester is wonderful, making this Inn a convenient place to stay. If you go to Chester, do not miss the terrific bakery, Baba Louise. This truly is a cathedral of a bakery. The owners of the bakery are charming.
There are great art galleries and antique stores in Chester.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank H R
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I traveled to Vermont for a ski weekend with 5 friends. We stayed at The Chester House Inn after skiing at Stratton Saturday (~40 minutes away) so we were closer to Okemo Sunday morning (~15 minutes away). I am very reluctant to stay at Bed and Breakfasts, but boy did The Chester House Inn change my mind. We stayed in room 5 which has a King and a Queen bed. It also has a gas fireplace. The bed was very comfortable, the room was huge and the shower water was very hot which felt amazing after a day of skiing. When we arrived Bob welcomed us, gave us each a tour of our rooms, offered us coffee, fresh baked cookies (amazing), and snacks. He also shared local restaurant offerings and didn't lead us astray. We went to the Scottish Pub MacLaomainns and it was wonderful and within walking distance. We were offered two breakfast offerings: an early continental or a later (8:30am) full breakfast. We opted for the full breakfast and that certainly was the right choice. We were served a homemade chocolate chip muffin, hot seasoned baked apple with whipped cream and then a delicious sausage and egg fritatta-type dish with grilled pineapple on the side. It was all spectacular. And, we let them know we were in somewhat of a rush and they worked with us to get us our the door promptly. I will absolutely stay at the Chester House Inn again!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AEN0126
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Love this B&B, quaint, super clean room and friendly and accommodating owners. Honestly they have the best housekeeper! Very comfortable beds, peaceful rooms, private baths, walking to distance to my now favorite Scottish Pub MacLaomainns. Owners were so great, they knew I had to leave before breakfast and they made me a coffee and bagel to go. Definitely coming back.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Definitely not worth the nightly rate. I picked the Chester House because of its location on the way down Scenic Route 100, figuring it for a good place to rest between Stowe and Boston. Reviews on yelp and trip advisor gave me the impression of a sleepy (quiet) country town. But it's not. It's a main thoroughfare with loud trucks all through the night. But if that doesn't keep you up, the slamming doors, and creaky floors will.

That being said, besides the bathroom spider and his cousins spider-webs behind the beds, it is a fairly charming b&b. The room was big enough for mom, dad, and 3 kids. Breakfast was very good, but way too much food for the kids. And they charge for it (pp fees), so don't feel guilty when the kids leave 90% on the plate. I tried being thoughtful by warning him that the kids won't eat all the great food, but felt like I was bothering him.

My biggest disappointment was not the noise or the spider webs, or the nightly rate. Rather, it was the inn keepers. I hate saying that, because you always want to like the ma and pa that run the joint. But I just felt like they really don't like their retirement career. While very accommodating and cordial, one cannot shake the feeling that you are a burden to take care of. Not a lot of personality, or the kind of personable warm welcome you expect from a b&b.

To top it off, I made my reservation online for four people, knowing my little one wouldn't need his own bed. I then talked to Bob on the phone and told him so. He said the 5th person is an additional $29 because "he's gonna eat isn't he?" I responded by telling him he hardly eats, but its perfectly fine to charge the additional amount. Bob said, "Well, if he doesn't eat a lot, I'll let it slide." "Are you sure, I said. Please do whatever is appropriate." He said "it's okay,". -Cool, off to a good start.

He even set up an extra bed for my little guy, which was a nice surprise. Unfortunately, while I'm packing up my car the next morning, he gives my 10 year old the bill and tells him to tell me I owe $31 for the 5th person and reminds me that I only made my reservation for four. I don't have a problem with the extra $'s... but to give it to my kid... that was the most disappointing part of our stay... and just as we were leaving.

Horrible way to end a so-so experience when I was still trying to find the bright side of the Chester House, so I could remember it with some fondness.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
The Pointe at Castle Hill Resort
Fullerton Inn
Fullerton Inn
#5 of 9 in Chester
Rose Arbour Bed and Breakfast

Been to Chester House Inn? Share your experiences!