“Just Beautiful”

The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed at the Inn for a wedding this past weekend and it was a really wonderful experience. The staff was nothing but courteous and extremely helpful; the grounds are so vast and and beautiful and there is an amazing view looking out from the lodge!
We stayed in the main lodge which was very nice (may need a little updating in the rooms but still very nice and no complaints). I got a chance to look around some of the houses where our other guests were staying and they were gorgeous! The wedding reception took place in the barn which is also stunning.
Its a little bit out in the middle of nowhere (which certainly adds a lot especially if you are looking to escape the stresses of everyday) so not sure how soon we will get back there but nevertheless I would certainly recommend the MTI to anyone who appreciates the beauty of the NE region and needs a real breath of fresh air.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you very much for taking time to share your observations of The Mountain Top Inn & Resort with other travelers. We know it is a long trip from FL, however we hope you'll find your way back up to Vermont to once again see the beauty of the region and enjoy "a real breath of fresh air".

Reviewed 17 April 2013

This resort is a perfect getaway that's not too far away from our reality! It offers all the amenities we could ask for.. Kayaking, hiking, horseback riding, boat rides and more! Its even close to other great venues such as Killington mountain and the Longtrail brewery! The rooms are cozy and really make us feel at home! It's great to have real fireplaces and cabins that even welcome your pets.. Although you wouldn't know it because the cleanliness if the cabins is wonderful! I would recommend this resort for a range of occasions from just a weekend getaway to a romantic wedding! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Courtney5308
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Thank you very much for your positive review of the Resort. It is rewarding to hear that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you again soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 4 April 2013

My husband bought a Groupon a few months ago and we finally went last weekend, March 30 and 31. We weren't really sure what to expect. This isn't a place we would normal travel to, but the Groupon provided us with a good chance to explore something different. The Inn is very pretty and cozy. The front desk staff was polite and curteous. We both got massages (one at a time though, as there was only 1 massouse). They had just built the new "Barn" which housed the workout room, game room, massage rooms, movie theatre, and open spaces for weddings and events. Before I go into the "bad" about the massage, I will say that the massage itself was great. Very relaxing, for the most part. Now, why it was bad. First of all, they charged $110 (not including tip) for each massage. This is just a crazy expensive price for what you get. I wouldn't mind paying this if I received a spa-like experience complete with somewhere to relax before and after, tea or water, a sauna, steam room, or whirlpool. There was none of this. Instead I got a massage in a noisy room. The placement of the massage rooms is right in the main hallway of the lower level. The elevator is right outside the door, the restrooms are next to and across from the room. Anytime anyone came down the stairs and walked to the gym, you could hear them talking. Then people were playing air hockey in the game room, you could hear them too! They were also setting up upstairs for a function, and I could hear them moving tables around etc. Needless to say, the design and layout of the Barn and where they put things was not done correctly. The massage rooms should have been in the very back, where it's quiet. And once again, these massages were $110 each! I'm not sure who came up with that price, but in my opinion, that's way out of whack. We stayed in the Equus Suite. I was a little hesitant at first because it was the first room off the lobby and I was afraid it was going to be noisy. Which it was. They offered us room 117 which was down the other end of the hallway. It was in a more quiet location, but the room was smaller, as it wasn't a suite. We opted for the suite. I also requested a fan. We are used to sleeping with a fan for white noise. If it wasn't for the fan, we would have had to change rooms. There were guests coming in for weddings, so the greetings in the lobby were very loud. The floorboards above us creaked every time the guests in the room upstairs moved. And the restaurant was directly below us, so we could hear that as well. Like I said, thank God for the fan, it really drowned out a lot of the noise. We had a nice whirlpool tub jacuzzi/shower which was really nice! We ate in the Tavern on Saturday night and the dining room on Sunday night. We were the only ones eating on Sunday night (it was Easter) so we opted for the table right in front of the fireplace. We had a waiter named JR in the dining room, he was great. I would highly recommend the pumpkin and sage wontons, they are delicious! The fried artichoke hearts were also fantastic. We also got the portabella quesadilla and chicken cesear salad, both were good. On Saturday we went snowboarding at Killington. Killington is about a 30-40min drive. We took a beginner snowboarding lesson which was fun and then stopped at Lookout Tavern for a beer and snack on the way home. The view of the mountains and lake from our room was beautiful...there was snow when we were there and the pond was still frozen. I bet it's beautiful in the spring, summer, and fall as well. The scenary is very pretty. We took a short walk down the trail. We were going to walk all the way to the lake, but we stopped when we hit the stream. It was getting late and we had just come from our snowboarding lesson, so we were quite tired and sore! The nordic center was closed when we were there. There wasn't much for us to do, which was fine, we just wanted to relax. It was definitely relaxing and peaceful, minus the loud, rowdy groups and creaking floorboards that we could hear from our room. There is a door that separates the rooms from the main lobby area. I shut it periodically. If they could keep that door closed, it would definitely help keep the noise of the lobby out of our rooms. A free breakfast was included in our stay, so that was nice. It wasn't a huge spread, but plenty to fill your belly. Another thing that bothered us was the vacuuming. We were enjoying a coffee in front of the fireplace in lobby after dinner one night, maybe around 9-930pm and all of a sudden a woman started vacuuming the stairs. Well that ruined our nice moment. Nothing like enjoying your coffee, looking at a beautiful fire, cuddling with your loved one, and then a loud vacuum starts up only a few feet away. All in all it was a quaint little spot and we had a nice time.

Room Tip: We had the Equus suite which was right off the lobby and was loud.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kate g

Thank you very much for your very detailed review of your stay. We appreciate all of your comments and find them very constructive. With the new massage rooms in The Barn we are still working through some of the logistics and trying to determine what we can do to improve the massage experience. We have contacted the builder and are working with him to create a plan for possible changes. Thank you again.
Best regards,

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Flew to Boston from FL, then drove the scenic 3 hours to resort. Stopped at Woodstock Farmers Market for lunch. The most delish gourmet deli options! We ended up with like 8 small containers so we could taste all the different concoctions. Had a car picnic in the lot on river next door, and it snowed! That’s when I taste the dessert, a Carmelita. Went right back to store and bought a bunch more to take to resort! TO DIE FOR! Also found a new fave ginger ale, Reed’s Premium Ginger Brew, Jamaican style. Back home, Whole Foods carries it. It was the first day of Spring and resort wasn't crowded. We got a regular room and had neighbors/with kid, and we never heard a thing. I think some people just know to talk quiet and not slam and … have class. (But people walking down hallway are soo loud with their heavy boots! Lucky for us traffic stopped by 10pm. Think they need thick carpet in hall. There are mats, but the wood floor parts are ridiculous loud.) The regular rooms have breath taking views and wonderful décor. The commode is Right at the window, so you’ll find yourself having “to go” a lot. Best seat in the room. We toured the gorgeous property and played some games in the game room. Got a table Right in front of the fireplace for dinner. We tried a Lot of apps and salad. The cheese nut dried fruit salad was our fave. The mac and cheese people raved about we didn't like. It was like a loose pasta dinner dish, not thick and chewy like we like. The Jacuzzi tub was THE best bath in my life!!! I put battery candles and laxed for like an hour. The water was soo hot my face was Still red the next morning! That tub is the perfect size and back slant and … And the hotel shampoo smell delish! Like honey and ? The next day we were up early for breakfast. It’s perfect, something hot or cold or crunchy or sweet or fresh … for everyone. We walked over to the activity center and spent the day rent Everything they offered to do! The cross county trails are Gorgeous! Stopped Constantly to take pix. Snow shoe trekking was fun, Love that crunching sound! The sleigh ride was of course romantic. Ice skating closed. Snowmobiling was killer scenery and crazy fun. Sledding was tons of giggles and crashes on purpose. Snow angles were heavenly. And it snowed again! We had the soup and grilled cheese plate back at the lodge for lunch, best meal we ate while there. We saw these gorgeous homes while playing all day and asked about taking a look, as we’d decided This was where the extended family should spend next year’s winter vaca. We got 3 sets of keys and went touring. Picked the perfect home for our return trip, then upgraded that night’s stay to another GORGEOUS house. Think they call them chalets. We did the fireplace, ordered the celebration champ/truffles/cheese plate (cheese plate is Fantastic! Huge with Lots of variety and extras.) Had another salad, okay duck and scallops from lodge as take out to eat in our dining room. Another fab tub bath. The views from back of house windows made us weak. A snowy wonderland. This house had three units to rent. We rented the largest one in the middle. We made cocoa and tea to warm us up each time we came back inside. Did a Large takeout breakfast the next morning, delicious. The ONLY negative thing was as we were leaving. I filled an iron with water and when I went to use it thick, black water poured out and ruined my shirt. Thank GOODNESS I had a spare and there was another iron. I alerted checkout and back home the shirt is stained with rust something or other, no getting it out. Back to Woodstock for lunch on way outta town. This was The Dreamiest, Most Fun, Most Soul Enriching, Most Romantic… winter break EVER! Can’t wait to share with family next year!! PS There are lil rooms in the activity center where you can get a massage, but that’s all it is. It’s not like a spa. Mentioning this as I couldn't find Any reviews about this.

Room Tip: Rent a chalet!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2013

Thank you so much for your very thorough and positive review of your recent stay with us. We appreciate the time you took to touch on so many fun details of your stay; including a few suggestions for how we can improve. We're glad to hear that you were able to enjoy so many of our winter activities and we look forward to seeing you and your family next winter.
The situation with the iron has been shared with our Housekeeping staff and we certainly apologize for what happened. Thank you for the tip on the Carmelita dessert in Woodstock too!
Most sincerely,

Reviewed 24 March 2013

Several weeks ago, I cross-country skied at Mountain Top and it was fabulous. The grooming is terrific which makes for excellent striding, while the trails are delightful and the views are spectacular. I think this is one of the very best places to cross-country ski in the Northeast.

Because the skiing was so good, I came back last week and stayed at the inn for three days. The grooming was perfect, particularly after the snow storm dropped a foot of snow on the ground.

Furthermore, the inn is lovely, with charming rooms and spectacular views of the Chittendon Reservoir (really a gorgeous lake). the food is pretty good too.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2013

Thank you very much for the great review of the Resort and in particular our cross country ski trails. I will share your comments with the Nordic Center staff to let them know how much you appreciate their hard work. We hope you will return again next season and let's all hope the snow comes early and stays late.

Regards,

Reviewed 16 March 2013

We were looking for a short, rustic, Vermont winter vacation, and this place fit the bill perfectly. The rooms were modern, spacious and comfortable, the staff accommodative and friendly and the food in the restaurants made it easy to resist a trip into town unless we were out exploring the farms and local sights. The Nordic center and ski trails are perfect for cross country snow activities, which we enjoyed a couple of times during our stay. We were there mid-week, so things were nice and quiet, but we can imagine it to be a bustling hive of activity on the weekends.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Thank you for your review of your winter vacation with us. We are pleased to hear that our service, food, accommodations and activities all met your expectations. Recognizing that you can visit many places for your Vermont winter vacation, we appreciate that you chose The Mountain Top Inn & Resort. We hope you will return soon.
Most sincerely,

Reviewed 7 March 2013

We finally stayed here after visiting to ski many times. The resort is very nice. The common areas are comfortable and there are beautiful views from throughout the property. Our room was nice - it had a whirlpool tub that I really appreciated after a long day skiing.

One of the things we enjoyed the most was being able to do so many things without leaving - 2 restaurants (the tavern food was excellent), sledding, skating, skiing, and just relaxing in front of the fire with a book.

One thing anyone planning a romantic getaway should know - there were TONS and I mean TONS of kids there during our stay. And it was NOT during a school break - these were toddlers. Sort of a downer, particularly during mealtime, and even around the fireplace - toddlers aren't the best travel companions, IMO.

The room was somewhat noisy - we were woken up by a very loud group coming in just after midnight - considering the place was full (on a Sunday night, sadly, due to the Groupons they've been selling) it could have been worse - but I recommend a room that isn't near an exit door.

The decor in the room was beautiful and I never wanted to look away from the view.

We enjoyed our visit and will be back - BUT will try to visit on a night that isn't full.

One last thing - I will say that if you are paying full price (one night in our room with tax/fee came to $303) I will say - it's a STEEP price to pay - I would actually not say that the value is necessarily there. But if you can get a discount, sure.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near exit doors. Ask for a whirlpool tub if you want one - not all rooms have them.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank catsnotkids

We appreciate your many comments and suggestions for future guests. Thank you for taking the time to share positive and constructive ideas. We look forward to welcoming you back when the resort is not as busy. Our reservations staff can assist you in selecting a date that may be more appropriate for your getaway.
Many thanks,
Khele Sparks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
506 On The River Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!