“So not worth the money”

The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I attended a wedding here a few weeks ago, and let me first say we love Vermont. It is a state that has so many amazing virtues and beautiful vistas so we were so looking forward to a weekend in the green mtn. State. I also travel a lot and stay in a wide range of places from high end resorts to simple guest houses. However, the mountain top inn is one that I cannot recommend and will not return to. The views are indeed beautiful but the building is very dated and in need of obvious repairs, there was little to no attention to detail(our basement room faced a field where lawn games were being played so to have any privacy the blinds had to be drawn completely darkening the room- and you needed privacy given that they put a toilet directly in front of one window! Blinds that go from the bottom up would have been a simple solution had anyone thought it through). Staff was not at all helpful and often rude, they up charge for everything (don't forget your toothpaste) and the food was truly AWFUL. I bit into a raw chicken skewer, my husband's potato was rock hard and inedible, and breakfast (again an up charge) consists of cold eggs, flavorless french toast and uncooked sausage. I wish we were alone in our displeasure but many other guests mentioned how this "resort" just seemed to miss the mark given what you'd expect for $200+ a night. Given all the amazing inns and B&Bs in Vermont skip the Mountain Top and stay where you get what you pay for- or at least come close! If you do stay double check you bill- ours had erroneous charges and we were given grief when I asked that they be removed.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank T F
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

We are sorry to hear that your visit to our resort was such a disappointment. Although we are committed to creating a positive Vermont experience for all of our guests, it sounds like we definitely fell short with you. Each of the reviews posted are shared with the staff so that we can learn from them and make changes whenever appropriate.
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

My husband, two young daughters and I stayed at the Mountain Top In July 1-4th. The Inn is beautifully appointed with a "lodge style" decor. The rooms are each unique - we stayed in two different rooms and both were a good size, very nicely decorated with gorgeouse views of the mountain and lake.

There is a retaurant and tavern onsite. We ate there almost exclusively. Breakfast was included in our Groupon package. The buffet included a full array of hot and cold items - all delicious. There is a patio where lunch and dinner are served. The food was very good - we sampled over half of the menu! The turkey wraps were made with gorganzola, sesame seeds, cranberry currant and blueberries -a unique mix and sooo yummy. We also had the scallops, beef tenderloin and the cheese board with a selection of VT cheeses - fantastic. (Can you tell I'm Italian? It's ALL about the food!).

The lake has complimentary canoes and kayaks. There is a pontoon boat that takes you on a one hour tour of the lake - so peaceful yet the kids enjoyed it, too! There are many places to sit and enjoy the view - two large lobby areas with couches, chairs and rockers overlooking the grounds and the mountains. There is an outdoor pool with lounge chairs, table and umbrellas surrounding.

They recently built a large barn on the property where weddings/events are held. The first floor of the barn has a decent size workout room, a small game room with pinball and video games and a "movie room" with a large flatscreen and beanbag chairs for the kids.

There is a firepit on the patio. For five dollars you can purchse a plate of smores fixings and the kids can toast marshmellos and make their treats - lots of fun!

We will definitely be back and highly recommend the Inn. Keep in mind that you are about 20-30 minutes from Rutland, a large commercial town so, stop on the way if you need toiletries or room snacks!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank KKD_Newtown

Thank you so very much for your great review and details of the many things you enjoyed about The Mountain Top Inn & Resort. We are happy to see that your visit was enjoyed by everyone in your family. Your comments will be shared with our staff and in particular the Chef. Needless to say we are pleased to hear that you give us a "high recommendation" and that you will be back again!
Most sincerely,

Reviewed 6 July 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Mountain Top Inn for a mini-vacation. Not only is the resort a great place for couples but we found it perfect for couples with different ideas of relaxation. The resort offered so many options, we discovered that we could enjoy our separate activities as well as time together. Further, we saw no reason to leave the resort during our time there.

An outdoorsy kind of guy, I enjoyed the many activities included in the resort fee. I fished, kayaked, and hiked the expansive trails on the property. My wife (who prefers to stay clean), loved lounging by the “incredible” pool and hot tub. She utilized the new gym and chatted up the friendly guests and staff at the resort. Together we were wowed by the views and atmosphere. It was the perfect backdrop for good conversation.

Meals were likewise perfect for our diverging tastes. I was able to sit back with a great burger and beer while my wife nibbled on a fruit and nut salad. Apparently the cheese on it (with a name I can’t pronounce much less spell) was the highlight. Most of our meals were similarly satisfying with a menu that catered to both refined tastes and those who prefer hearty favorites. If you can do Burger and Brew night, do. It’s a real deal for a good meal and drink. I recommend trying the Switchback, an amazing local beer. The resort’s breakfast buffet also provided numerous options to suit us. Servers were knowledgeable, friendly and attentive.

Aside from sleeping and one rainy day, we did not spend much time in our room. The bathroom met my wife’s approval (a big deal) and we both appreciated the cozy woodsy feel of the place. Our bed was comfortable. Housekeeping visited each day and was as eager to please as the rest of the resort’s staff.

All in all, this was the perfect vacation spot for us. Each of us had a wonderful time without feeling that any compromise was made. We will definitely make a point to return.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tom917

Your explanation of "Something for Everyone" is certainly appreciated. Thank you for detailing the many ways couples can enjoy the Resort, separately and together. It sounds like with the many activities and dining options offered at The Resort, you and your wife found plenty to do throughout your stay. And the ultimate compliment is that you will make it a "point to return".
Thank you for sharing your comments.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

This was our first time staying at the inn. After our 3-day stay, I have to agree with most of the comments provided by the other reviewers (great location, great staff, nice facilities, etc.).

My only negative comment has to do with the Saddle Brook C cabin. We were warned that the cabin was rustic and not as luxurious as the hotel rooms however, I still expected a little bit more. I think the cabin could have been better maintained. It felt like the bare minimum was provided. The cabin left much to be desired. It smelled of mildew for the first few days as if it had not been aired out in a while. The coffee machine had mold in it and there were dust bunnies the size of golf balls under the bed. The AC installed in the window was SUPER noisy and kept us up all night. The sheets were threadbare and when we looked at the pillows (under the pillow cases) we saw yellow stains so we decided NOT to use them.

We were travelling with our dog so we did understand that we were given the pet-friendly rental but there should be a minimum standard for all rooms. I think the cabin should be revamped so that it is on par (or close to) what is offered in the main hotel. I would not recommend staying in the cabin unless of course you got a really, really good deal on the price.

On a positive note, we LOVED the gym, the yoga room (thanks Jody), the gorgeous pool and the beach. Our toddler had a wonderful time visiting the horses each morning before breakfast. Our dog received dog treats and our room was equipped with a dog bed.

I think perhaps we would return to Mountain Top Inn because overall we did enjoy our experience. We would not, however, stay in the Saddle Brook C cabin again. Perhaps we may be enticed back if we got a REALLY SUPER FANTASTIC deal on a ROOM (not a cabin).

Room Tip: Do not book Saddle Brook C
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank roadgirl

Thank you very much for your review of your stay with us. It is disappointing to hear that your cabin experience was the one negative aspect of your visit. I have reviewed your specific comments with maintenance and housekeeping so that we can begin to make the recommended upgrades to the cabin. We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback, as it will help us to make improvements for future guests. Thank you for adding the positives to your posting and we hope you will give us the chance to welcome you (and of course your dog) back again.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

This was our second year staying at the beautiful Mountain Top Inn and resort. We have decided it will be a yearly get away vacation spot for us.This year our entire family came which includes 4 grandchildren.
The beautiful pool and inviting hot tub with their spectacular view are so relaxing. The beach area is private and has plenty of canoes and kayaks The added bonus this year of the Barn with the video room and game room added to the other activities.
The view of the Green Mountains makes for a wonderful backdrop for this vacation spot but the staff makes this even more comfortable.. They are welcoming, friendly and always want to assure your visit is comfortable. Even with 4 young grandchildren!. We have met some really wonderful families and couples at Mountain Top. I highly recommend this beautiful spot.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your high recommendation! We are pleased to hear that your second visit to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort was what you anticipated and that our added amenities in The Barn made for an even more enjoyable stay. Your description of our resort as a family vacation destination is certainly appreciated, as well as your recognition of our staff's friendly and accommodating demeanor. We are pleased to hear we have become the place for your yearly get away vacation spot and we look forward to seeing you again next summer (or maybe sooner).
Warm regards,

Reviewed 2 July 2013

My family recently stayed at MTI and were pleasantly surprised by everything we encountered. I cannot rate the location, staff and amenities highly enough.

The best part of the resort is definitely the location. Located in the mountains, every view is spectacular. More amazing is the Reservoir that the resort sits above. Not only does it complete the landscape, but it is readily accessible to resort guests. During our stay it seemed as if the Resevoir was utilized by only resort guests. Even among guests, the beach was always quiet. Surrounded by forrest, we enjoyed canoeing, kayaking, swimming, sun bathing and building sand castles. It is by far the most peacful beach I have ever visited.

Despite being in a very natural setting, the resort offers many upscale amenities. The heated outdoor pool and hot tube are beautiful. The patio area has been completed very tastefully to match the scenery. Changing rooms are clean, luxurious and well stocked with bright white towels and toiletries. My children enjoyed a movie in the new "theatre" on comfy bean bag chairs with a big screen TV. The fitness room appeared well equipped; however, we were so busy with outdoor activities we never used it.

Rooms at the inn are just what one might imagine. They radiate warmth. Again, the decor has been well thought out. In addition, anything you might want is within arm's reach in shared sitting rooms. We could sit and enjoy a magazine, board game or utilize the wifi throughout the lodge, including our room. Important to me was the resorts cleanliness. I was not disappointed in my room or throughout the lodge. Housekeeping and landscaping staff were clearly visible and everything was perfectly manicured.

The staff at MTI was extremely accomodating and friendly. It almost felt as if they were extended family members you WANTED to see. It seemed as if each staff member truly enjoyed being at the resort as much as we did. Staff was always smiling and quickly and eagerly met all requests.

This was definitely our families favorite vacation at a fraction of what we typically spend.

Room Tip: Staff is very accomodating if you specify requests and/or special circumstances.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth H

We appreciate the many areas you highlighted as being the reason you enjoyed your stay so much. Thank you for providing so many details for future guests to consider when planning a vacation. We all look forward to seeing again soon.
Most sincerely,

Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Everything is "ok", but certainly not what one would expect, and definitely not for the $.
Room not made up at 2:00pm when I return to get ready for a wedding. When I turned down the bedspread that night, the sheets and pillows were in the same crumpled mess I left them, just covered. Huh?

• Stayed: June 2013
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

We are sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations of a Vermont inn. It is helpful to know the specifics of your disappointment, as you detailed, so we can discuss with the appropriate department(s) where we fell short. I can assure you that your photo is not representative of our standards and management will be taking action to ensure it is not repeated. In regards to the timeliness of our housekeeping staff cleaning your room, we try to work within the schedule of the ceremony and wedding reception, it is not always possible.

Best regards,
Khele Sparks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
506 On The River Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!