“Breathtaking”

The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed at one of the houses on site. "Lake View Lodge". What a home. The views were beyond belief. The lady that works at the restaurant (Sylvie or Sylvia) amazing person. Extremely helpful. Overall the staff were more than helpful. I would 100% stay here again. The homes are a bit pricey, but if your 2 families then it's worth it. Outdoor pool, fitness Center, media Center, arcade, private beach with free use of canoes & kayaks, horseback riding, skeet shooting. And of course the Green Mountains.

• Stayed: July 2013
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Thank you so much for your review. Although we cannot take credit for the "beyond belief views" we are pleased that you enjoyed them along with our friendly, capable staff and the many activities we offer.
Come back again soon!

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for The Mountain Top Inn & Resort

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Well...I want to start by saying that this was our second time staying at the Mountain Top. We went last year and loved it. This year, I wanted to turn around and leave after the first hour!

We arrived on a Sunday, rented out beach towels and walked to the lake at about 3:00 pm. Most people choose to walk it, because the road is really rustic and a little dangerous to drive on. There are hills and it's about a mile of trekking through the woods. When we arrived, a very high strung, obnoxious wedding coordinator approached us and told us that we wouldn't be allowed on the beach because they had decided to have a wedding there. It was during the recent heatwave and about 98 degrees. The resort knew nothing about this, which I thought was strange.

Our room was only made up one day, and they just made the bed. They didn't empty the garbage cans or do anything else. The next day they didn't clean it at all, which left the "what do we tip the maid?" question very easy indeed! The room was below average. They had 2 easy chairs in front of the TV (instead of a couch) and the chairs were broken. I wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Don't let them give you Room 125 in the main house. It's decorated in a very rustic, America...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tamiwhotravels
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

I am sorry to hear that your return visit to see us was a disappointment. Indeed there was a last minute change with the wedding location and although we were aware, we did not fully communicate to all of our guests to save them the walk to the beach; hopefully the ride back up to the Lodge via our shuttle bus helped soften the situation somewhat. (Regarding the beach towels, they are complimentary as long as they are returned, so If you were charged please let us know.)
Your guest room and housekeeping comments have been shared with our management staff so that they can follow up and correct areas that you mentioned. Our Front Desk Manager, who provided you with the complimentary upgrade at check-in and complimentary dinner as an apology for the beach closure, has also been informed of your review.
It is disappointing to hear that we did not create a positive experience for you; however we will learn from your comments and appreciate that you took the time to tell us.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

My family of four including the dog stayed here for three days under a Living Social. The Woodlands cabin we stayed in was fully equipped with dishes and supplies needed. The cabin could have fit a larger family. The kids stayed downstairs with their own bathroom and we were upstairs. If you are taking your dog everything is included gates, dog bed, and bowls. The resort is very dog friendly. The kids enjoyed free access to the kayaks and canoes on the private beach. Towels are provided and there were lawn chairs on the beach. The scenery is unbelievable. The beach never became crowded. As you kayak with the backdrop of the mountains you can pull the kayak off to secluded areas for lunch. The breakfast provided was a huge buffet of hot dishes such as pancakes, French toast, egg sandwiches, bacon, sausage as well as a cold buffet of banana bread, cereals, fruit and yogurt. We filled up so much that lunch was always late in the day. The resort also a state of the art Life Fitness machines in the work out room. This is conveniently across from the arcade area as well as a room filled with beanbags that families can use to view free rented movies at the front desk. There is also one tennis court, a solar heated pool and hot tub. Horseback riding and pony rides were additional costs. We enjoyed our stay so much that we extended it another day passed the Living Social 3 night stay and the hotel manager gave the room to us at the same cost. Some negatives but please do not let it deter you from staying here. Fresh towels were provided on a regular basis, but it you want your room cleaned it is an extra cost. There is no bathroom facility at the beach so they expect you to either drive .7 miles back to the main house or to use the woods or the lake. Yoga was provided at cost (I say include it to the guests for free and just incorporate it into the cost of your stay). The movie room is great but I would have liked a movie time and showing versus a pick your own. Twice we tried to use the room but another family was in there watching a movie. We would have joined them but you don't know when the movie started or if the facility is being used. I think a shuttle service would be better than driving your car to the beach as the one road is a two way and shared by the horses. Back to the positives. The woman in the activities center was a wealth of knowledge on family friendly hikes in the area. The breakfast servers were phenomenal especially the day that they had 160 diners and only 2 women replenishing the buffet. We left relaxed and hoping for another Living Social to book for next year or to try in the winter on their numerous xcountry trails. I was reluctant to write this review as I don't want word to get out about this hidden gem.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

We certainly appreciate that you took the time to write such a thoughtful review of your stay with us at our "hidden gem". Receiving feedback regarding our service is the best way for us to improve our guests' experience.
We are proud to be dog friendly and pleased that you highlighted the amenities we offer for pets.
As a clarification of our housekeeping services, full housekeeping is provided at no additional cost in the main lodge and cabins; the vacation homes are the only accommodations that require an additional fee. We have also started opening the restroom facilities in the Beach Pavilion in response guest comments.
Thank you again for your positive and construction feedback. We hope you will come back to see us again soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Many, many thanks to the Mountain Top Inn and Resort for a wonderful stay with my granddaughter last week. I reserved a mini-vacation for the two of us with a Groupon.

From the first moment we arrived, we were made to feel welcome and at home. Our room (if a bit small) was very comfortable and clean. One caveat: the mattresses have memory-foam toppers. Some people are fans, some not. I'm not. I didn't have the best sleeps.

Shortly after we got settled in, I noticed that our clock radio wasn’t working. I told the front desk and they quickly installed a replacement. Also, the drain in the bathtub was clogged, but by the next day, housekeeping had fixed it.

Our room was on the second floor and there are no elevators, but you can call on the staff to help you with luggage if necessary.

The lobby and lounge are comfortable and offer spectacular views of the lake (Chittenden Reservoir) and the mountains. The décor throughout the inn is country rustic, which is very pleasant, but I found the color palette used in the lounge to be too dark; I think it could stand to be lightened up a bit. There’s a TV/DVD set-up (DVDs at the front desk) and a cabinet filled with board games in the lounge.

The landscaping is just gorgeous—a real treat for the eyes. The flower beds and pots all over the property are spectacular, and the pots on the dining terrace, complete with hummingbird feeders, attract lots of hummers.

The big draw for my 9-year-old granddaughter was the equestrian center. Weeks before we arrived, I’d scheduled a riding lesson (her very first ever) and a trail ride for the following day. We woke up to rain on the day her lesson was scheduled. We learned it would probably rain the whole day, so I called the activities center and they easily rescheduled the lesson for the following day, and moved her trail ride for the same afternoon. She loved both so much that we scheduled a second lesson for the following day. The equestrian staff is wonderful. Kelsey and Kyra (spelling?) her instructors, were outstanding: so patient, thorough, and careful. The horses were gentle and docile.

There’s a pool/hot tub adjacent to the lodge. It was mostly too chilly for us to swim while we were there, but I noticed that the pool and the pool area were clean and well maintained. You can also swim in the reservoir (the water’s used for hydroelectric power, not human consumption) which is just under a mile away, down a narrow gravel road. Some people hiked it, but we drove (there’s no shuttle). There are kayaks and canoes on the beach that guests may use for free. A pontoon boat offers scheduled reservoir tours for a fee. My granddaughter said she enjoyed the tour, but I found it kind of boring. I was expecting to see some wildlife, but we only saw a couple of distant loons. Plus the boat driver didn’t really “give the tour,” i.e., didn’t tell us anything, unless I prompted him with questions.

We were both very well fed. Breakfasts consist of a good selection of hearty and light items, and the lunch/dinner menu offers lots of excellent choices. Dinners come with a basket of fresh hot bread with a light, crisp crust, straight from the oven. So good! There is a kid’s menu, which my granddaughter chose from and was very happy with. Every kid’s meal, even the pizza and the PBJ, comes with fries. The portions are huge. It was actually her choice to tell the server, for her third dinner, to hold back on both the chicken tenders and the (really delicious) fries. After the first time she ordered that meal, we both saw it was just too much food going to waste.

The waitstaff were always pleasant, and they were efficient except for our last evening there. After our main course, my granddaughter ordered dessert and I ordered tea. I soon got a cup of hot water and a crock of assorted tea bags. The server didn’t come back with milk, sugar, or a spoon.

After a very long wait I managed to get the attention of another server and asked if he would tell our server to bring those items when she brought the dessert. A few moments later he came back with a crock of sugar packets. I caught him before he rushed off and asked him (again) for milk and a spoon. After several minutes he brought them just as our server finally came with the dessert. (By this time my tea had cooled off so much that the milk made it barely lukewarm.)

The dessert was delicious AND huge, so my granddaughter didn’t finish it. We sat and sat long after it was clear she was done, so I finally let her go off to the game room. Sitting there by myself waiting for the check for a good 20 minutes more, I nearly nodded off. Granted, it had gotten quite busy by then—it was about 8:00—but we had sat down around 6:00. Under normal circumstances, we would have finished long before it got so busy.

I’ve taken off points for the clock radio and bathtub drain problems that should have been caught by housekeeping before we checked in, for the half-hearted pontoon boat tour, and for the bewilderingly poor service on our last dinner. Otherwise, I’d give the Mountain Top Inn and Resort a 5. I would go back, and I would recommend it for couples and families. I can’t say enough about how cheerful, friendly, and welcoming the Inn staff is.

Room Tip: If you get a room in the lodge, get a room on the ground floor if stairs are a problem. There are no...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank LPLimon

Thank you so much for your very thorough review of your recent stay with us. Overall it seems that you and your granddaughter enjoyed your 'mini-vacation'; however we apologize for the issues that made it less than perfect. It is always our goal to ensure that our service is outstanding. We appreciate your feedback and suggestions for improvement, since that is how we learn to exceed the expectations of our guests.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort. Be assured that your positive comments will be shared with our staff as well as the areas for improvement.

Most sincerely,

Reviewed 25 July 2013

Attended a wedding here earlier this month. My two siblings and I and are families all stayed in one of the large houses affiliated with the hotel. Very expensive but also very nice. Large deck, pond, view of lake. The hotel had a nice beach on lake and free canoes/kayaks. Free lawn games which we enjoyed. I thought the food was pretty good and service fine. We ahd aspecial birthday cake made for my son which was very tasty! Small quibbles--the map of the location of the house implied it was far closer to the main Inn than it really was (more of a drive than a walk). The price seemed high for the house but this inn in Vermont has a limited number of weeks to make money I guess. Lots of horse-related activities. As abirdwatcher I enjoyed hearing/seeing lots of warblers and other forest birds nearby. My kids loved it--plenty of place to run around. My extended family was her for a wedding which was held on the hill with beautiful views of mountain and national forest. Overall a nice place--the lodge was a bit old though--might recommed a house affiliated with the hotel instead--if you have a big enough group

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Thank you very much for all of your comments regarding your recent stay. Although all of our vacation homes are within a half mile of the Lodge, we can do a better job of explaining the distance to our guests. It does sound like you enjoyed the natural surroundings of The Resort, in particular as a bird-watcher.
We hope you and your family will find time to come see us again.

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2013

My husband and I recently visited the Mountain Top again for some relaxation before having our first baby and had the opportunity to stay in the newly constructed Trillium Cottage. We were both really impressed and excited about this new addition to the current pet friendly house offerings. The Trillium offers more of a rustic luxury experience very similar to what you will find in some of the “non-pet friendly” lodge rooms or vacation rentals such the Jewel and Mountain Aire. In fact, I believe Trillium was designed by the same architect who designed the Mountain Aire. The cottage has a very comfortable feel and is plenty big enough for two couples or a single family. It’s fully furnished with everything you would need in the kitchen if you decide to cook your own meals at the house including an outdoor BBQ. We loved how private it felt sitting out on the screened in porch which overlooks a large horse pasture with mountain view. We both agreed that it makes a perfect vacation home especially when coupled with the adventure camp specials they offer to kids. We’re looking forward to returning this winter to enjoy more of the peaceful setting but this time in front of the stone fire place!

Keith, Kristin, and Maybelle

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kristin O

Thank you so much for being the first to review Trillium, the newest addition to our accommodations. Your description is exactly the ambiance we had hoped to create. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again during the winter, so you can enjoy the stone fireplace!
Warm regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I attended a wedding here a few weeks ago, and let me first say we love Vermont. It is a state that has so many amazing virtues and beautiful vistas so we were so looking forward to a weekend in the green mtn. State. I also travel a lot and stay in a wide range of places from high end resorts to simple guest houses. However, the mountain top inn is one that I cannot recommend and will not return to. The views are indeed beautiful but the building is very dated and in need of obvious repairs, there was little to no attention to detail(our basement room faced a field where lawn games were being played so to have any privacy the blinds had to be drawn completely darkening the room- and you needed privacy given that they put a toilet directly in front of one window! Blinds that go from the bottom up would have been a simple solution had anyone thought it through). Staff was not at all helpful and often rude, they up charge for everything (don't forget your toothpaste) and the food was truly AWFUL. I bit into a raw chicken skewer, my husband's potato was rock hard and inedible, and breakfast (again an up charge) consists of cold eggs, flavorless french toast and uncooked sausage. I wish we were alone in our displeasure but many other guests mentioned how this "resort" just seemed to miss the mark given what you'd expect for $200+ a night. Given all the amazing inns and B&Bs in Vermont skip the Mountain Top and stay where you get what you pay for- or at least come close! If you do stay double check you bill- ours had erroneous charges and we were given grief when I asked that they be removed.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank T F

We are sorry to hear that your visit to our resort was such a disappointment. Although we are committed to creating a positive Vermont experience for all of our guests, it sounds like we definitely fell short with you. Each of the reviews posted are shared with the staff so that we can learn from them and make changes whenever appropriate.
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
Khele Sparks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
506 On The River Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!