“went for a day and liked the country side environment”

The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
“went for a day and liked the country side environment”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I was in this hotel for a day. i had a reservation to ride their horse sleigh ride. I was able to see allot of their different areas because we came in pretty early prior to our ride. I have two kids and they had a chance to play in the children's sleighs located in the back hill of the hotel, while we looked inside the hotel. The hotel is like a big cabin it has the wooden country smell all over. They were in a middle of a wedding preparation while we were wandering around so we were only able to see a couple of minutes. We went to the cross country skiing area. Unfortunately we were not able to try it out because we did not have enough time to do both. But the staff was very friendly there. A very laid back environment with an antique iron fireplace warmed up the area. Many expert cross country skiers were in that day. The horses that pulled the sleigh ride were just breathtaking... they were huge black persian horses...wow! I have never seen such a beautiful animal before. I enjoyed the day and will definitely go back when we are looking to have a winter country escape in a cabin. Very nice!

Room Tip: Have a walk through the horse stable... gorgeous! Go during winter.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you very much for your positive review of The Mountain Top Inn & Resort. Visiting for the day gave you the chance to get the overall ambiance of the Resort in Winter. We hope that your next visit will include an overnight so you can enjoy all of the services that the Resort offers.
Khele Sparks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Rochester, New York, United States
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I never understood those that revisit the same vacation destination until staying at the Mountain Top Inn. My family could not wait to return after our initial visit and was not disappointed. First, we were surprised to see many of the same employees. Clearly they like the place as much as we do. They were once again friendly, helpful and knowledgable about the area. We were impressed by the improvements that had been made in the year since our original visit. Additions included a movie room, yoga studio fitness room, changing rooms and a reception hall. I'm a bit of a germ phobe so I love new. Likewise, I love that maintenance and housekeeping was always visible. Of course, the ambiance of the original inn is irreplaceable.

The food and activities at the inn were enjoyed by everyone ages two to sixty. Holy kids meal...it was enough for lunch too! The breakfast variety pleased everyone and though the dinner menu is not vast, each entree was delicious. The pool and hot tub were we're barely used despite hot temperatures. It was like a private paradise. Alternatively, we enjoyed playing in the sand, swimming, and kayaking at the reservoir. Horse rides were also enjoyed. We opted out of one due to a downpour and were graciously offered the chance to reschedule.

The view is one of postcards, coffee table books and the like. Undeniably, my favorite feature.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth C
We appreciate that you shared your summer experience at The Mountain top Inn & Resort with future travelers. It is always rewarding to know that our guests are so satisfied that they return again. We hope that in 2014 you will once again find your way to see us. Having a staff that has been with us for so long, as you mentioned, gives us the opportunity to say "Welcome Back" to our regular guests. Thank you for your time and positive feedback.
New Canaan, CT
Reviewed 7 January 2014

This is not the first time we've been to the Mountain Top. We've been 4 times over the years and pretty much anyone with bring with us returns as well. We didn't want to stay home for New Year's, but we didn't want to go too far either so we thought of The Mountain Top since there's a lot to do and I know that they've added some amenities and they had a New Year's package. We left our adult children to theiir own devices and drove up on Monday with a check out of Wednesday. We got the package that was $665 with New Year's dinner, both breakfasts and the party in the barn on NYE. We got lucky and got the Mamie's Retreat Suite. It was beautiful! Remember this is a New England Inn: it's supposed to be rustic not sleek and swanky. There are a lot of gathering areas and the tavern was great. This was a very busy time and you could tell the staff was rushed off their feet but never lost their cool and the food was great. The dinner NYE was far better than we expected with very nice choices and super quality. The sledding hill is EPIC. We tried both cross country skiing and snow shoeing....prefer snow shoeing: didn't fall down. Both great work outs. We took advantage of the Yoga in the new barn. That was harder than we expected but felt great. Back to the room...two flat screen TVs; one in the bedroom, one in the living room. Fireplace in both and a huge remodelled bathroom with a massage tub. Bedding was super high quality with extra pillows. There was a kitchenette as well but we didn't use it. They put coffee out very early so we didn't even need to make it in the room. The staff are great and the service outstanding. The only one downside: no wifi in the rooms. There is wifi in the living room and no cell service at all. I care less about the cell service than the wifi. They just need to put routers in like they did in the barn. They have a shuttle to Killington as well. All in all it really is a perfect New England experience and great for children.

Room Tip: The lodge rooms in the main inn are very nice and updated. We had a suite: Maime's Retreat whic...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jtperreca
Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed each aspect of your visit and recognized the staff as well. As a repeat guest you knew what to expect and it sounds like we exceeded those expectations, which is always our goal. Regarding the in-room WIFI, we are aware that this is unacceptable and are working with our computer company to add the routers in the Lodge as you suggested. We look forward to welcoming you back again, at which time we are certain to have the WIFI throughout the Lodge.
Many thanks,
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We booked a trip to Mountain Top based on previous visits that were great. On a recent return, we were disappointed at the lack of overall effort from the resort. The in-house restaurant menu selection was mediocre at best and the food was very bland. The horse drawn sleigh ride was overpriced, much shorter than the advertised 30 minutes and the driver had the personality of a log. There just didn't seem to be any enthusiasm from the staff as a whole. I had expected to recommend this resort to others who had been looking forward to visiting Vermont, but I will not be recommending Mountaintop to them based on this last visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank TravelerS5071XL
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
We are always appreciative of feedback from our guests, since that is how we can identify issues that we need to correct. Having stayed with us previously, you know it is always our intention to provide a much better experience than you encountered on your last stay. Each of the areas that you mentioned have been addressed with our managers and staff. If you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back, I am confident your stay will mirror the "great visits" from earlier stays.
Thank you again for taking the time to communicate with us.
Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We visited here the busy week leading up to New Year's. Inn was full. Bar was packed with diners. Wi-Fi is only available in the lobby and lounge area so it was full as well. The room had a sitting area with fireplace, a mini bar with sink and refrigerator, and comfortable king bed. Bathroom had a recent makeover with upgraded Kohler fixtures and included a shower and large, soaking tub. Views from the room were gorgeous.Room downsides were grimy wall paper and large dark pieces of furniture. A reservation was definitely needed for dinner and we were a bit ahead of the crowd at 6:30 PM. Our group ordered salads and French onion soup (all tasty) followed by entrees. The entrees were problematic. The blackfish special was a very small serving, much smaller than the other plates. The salmon on a cedar plank was a generous piece of farmed salmon but the cedar aroma was overpowering and had spread to the meager serving of accompanying vegetables. One guest's clams and linguine dish was the largest plate, but 4 clams had not opened and had to be discarded. One guest had sheperd's pie and it was very tasty but in a crock and unaccompanied. Desserts of peanut butter explosion and a cheesecake were vastly overshadowed by homemade espresso heath bar crunch ice cream. The ice cream was the hit of the meal. If you visit with with kids, bring their plastic sleds for sliding on the great hill behind the Inn and ice skates for the little rink across the road. Great outdoor fun center.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bikers_Mom
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
It is disappointing to hear of your displeasure with your recent stay. We appreciate that you took the time to share specific areas that we need to reassess, since that helps us to review things like decor and menu items. Thank you for mentioning the positive aspects of your stay as well; that way we learn what we are doing right, in addition to what we need to improve. Since Middlebury is a short drive away, we hope you'll come back and give us a second chance, and perhaps have a dish of our homemade ice cream. Thank you again for your feedback.
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 17 December 2013

My boyfriend and I visited the Mountain Top Inn back in October, I had planned to review this beautiful place sooner but it slipped my mind!
Our stay began with a warm greeting by a receptions whose name escapes me for the moment, it started with an M. Regardless, she was wonderful throughout our stay-- our first room had an unfortunate temporary issue with the jacuzzi tub and she moved us quickly to a much nicer lodge room with a fully functional hot tub in the bathroom, we were so pleased!
The next morning we both awoke to watch the sun rise over the beautiful mountains while enjoying hot coffee on the back patio, and then enjoyed a hot breakfast inside while chit chatting with the friendly guests who joined us.
I cannot say a sufficient amount of positive things in regards to this hotel, Im excited to return in January to enjoy a winter retreat.

Room Tip: All rooms are comfortable, clean and beautifully decorated. For a real treat, choose a lodge room!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our front desk staff. It is rewarding to know that the way they greet the guests and handle 'issues' is what keeps guests returning time after time. We appreciate your taking the time to post a review and we look forward to seeing you for your winter retreat.
Warm regards,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I went here for an event and was a little disappointed. Totally cute location, building and ambiance, but it fell behind in some of its basic functionality. The rooms I looked in were total cabin in the woods, what you should expect from a New England Lodge Resort. I had quail wallcovering with matching window treatments. The bathroom had a nice size jet tub enclosed with a overhead shower.
The problems were discovered upon closer inspection and over time. The room was uncomfortably warm and dry which made it somewhat difficult to sleep. I am usually always cold but this was one of those rare instances where sleeping above the covers still didn't satisfy. I overheard my neighbor at breakfast say they had to open their window to cool off (40 degrees and raining outside). I did not see any controls in the room so that did seem like their only option.
I thought it would be fantastic to take a big bubble bath, but I noticed a good deal of what appeared to be black mold on the tub surround wall tile. I decided to stick with a shower for fear that the bath experience would be disturbing. Not that it was, I just had a fear to find out. The last disappointment was that the fire alarm went off at 6:30am and again at 6:45am in the hallway, for unknown reasons. I knew the sound transmission to the corridor was bad the night before when I mistook house keeping knocking on the door next to me as being my door, but it was even more evident when you are tucked under your pillows hiding from an alarm that the front desk informs you is some sort of false alarm.
I may have just had a bad experience, and like I said the place was really cute and cozy. The breakfast buffet was small but tasty and the service was friendly. If they can tackle the dry heat issue and the black grout at the shower tile it would make guests, at least me and my talkative neighbor's stay much more pleasant.

Room Tip: There isn't an elevator so if you are staying more than a night and have large luggage, pack lig...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Becky S
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
We appreciate that you took the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Specific comments such as yours can help us to implement procedures that will create a more positive experience for future guests. Making changes to how the fire alarm system works is prohibited, due to fire safety regulations; however we can take steps to make the in-room thermostat more obvious as well as including instructions for operation. Additionally we have advised housekeeping about the grout in the room where you stayed.
Thank you for your positive comments as well, and we hope you will find a reason for a return trip soon.
Khele Sparks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
Cascades Lodge Killington
#9 of 13 in Killington
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!