“Beautiful VT wedding reception”

The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Fox Hollow cottage just up the road from the Inn and it was beautiful. The space was large, clean, comfortable, and felt very much like a log cabin. The view from out front door was stunning--a panorama of the mountains and the reservoir. We visited the equestrian center and also participated in clay pigeon shooting. The food and beer was sourced as much as possible from local vendors and was good as well.

Stayed: July 2014
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort. We are glad to hear you enjoyed staying in Fox Hollow, one of our select vacation home rentals. Please be sure to request it again the next time you visit.
Many thanks,

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We and our children and grandchildren, making a party of eight, spent five days at Mountain Top. We received unfailingly excellent and cordial service, extremely comfortable lodging with every conceivable amenity, tremendously entertaining activities of every description, etc, etc,etc.

Everyone agreed it was the best ever.

Oh yes, the food was delicious. A great American vacation experience.

Also, beautiful, serene, quiet surroundings.

Room Tip: The rental homes are an excellent value.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your excellent review of the Resort based on your recent stay with us. We know how special family vacations are, so we are delighted to have made yours 'the best ever'.
We look forward to welcoming you back real soon!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have always wanted to go to a "riding camp" for adults. I searched and searched and found the Equestrian Center at the Mountain Top Inn and Resort.
Upon arriving at the equestrian center, I was warmly greeted by Arden, my instructor and trainer for 5 days. Arden, a 20 yr. old college sophomore has the maturity of someone much older. Not only is she mature, personable, warm, intelligent, and knows almost everything about horses, her ease of style and great sense of humor made this past week one of the best experiences of my life. I have only been riding for about 19 months and today will be my last lesson with Arden. I really hate to say good-bye to her as she has taught me so much, and has helped my with my own self assurance when riding. The appropriate words are not there to express my gratitude for what Arden has done for my riding. She's wonderful!
I would also like to commend the entire equestrian center staff, a group of young ladies that never ceased to amaze me, Sarah, Abby, Jenny, Katey, and Sophie. They were all warm, and delightful to be around. I was working so hard to get my canter down and when I did they all were there applauding for me.
If you are thinking of going to "camp", taking a lesson, or going on a trail ride I enthusiastically recommend the Equestrian Center at the Mountain Top Inn and Resort.
I will be back next year and won't Arden be surprised when she sees how far I've come along with my riding abilities. I have her to thank for it all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the mountains and the lake. Room 117 was a gem.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank George011958
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you so much for your detailed review of our Equestrian Center staff and programs. It is rewarding for our staff to know that they have exceeded the expectations of our guests. Feedback like yours allows us to continue to excel at what we we do.
We look forward to seeing you again next year!
Most sincerely,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I've been here twice. Once to scope out my wedding and then for my wedding. In total I've stayed in three different lodge rooms and one of the vacation rentals on site (The Jewel).

Pros:
- Beautiful
- Tons of stuff to do
- The tavern food is actually very good and they have great beers on tap
- The service staff is in general great. The front desk can be snarky, but the restaurant and activity staff are wonderful.

Cons:
- 24% tax/resort fee on vacation rentals
- I can't remember the upcharges on lodge rooms

Also, if you are looking for a wedding location I will nominate Mountain Top as one of the best places in New England. I will spare you the details, but we had an amazing big day there.

Room Tip: Every room has a view of the lake. I also checked out roughly 6 vacation rentals and they were all...
1  Thank TJMBoston

Thank you for your review of the Resort and for your recommendation to future couples who are considering a destination wedding in Vermont. Your comments, both positive and those that offer constructive criticism, will be shared with our staff. One note of clarification regarding the 24% fee; 9% is tax which is a mandatory charge, while the 15% gives guests use of the resort facilities such as the pool, private beach, kayaks, canoes, paddle boards as well as the fitness center and more. As stated in the review there is 'tons of stuff to do'.
Thank you again for your thoughtful critique. We hope to see you again soon.
Best regards,

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We have stayed here twice in the winter and once in the summer (this past week). The vacation rental homes are all you could ever hope for - very nicely done with beautiful furnishings and spectacular views. The breakfast (included) is a hot buffet filled with blueberry pancakes, strata, French toast and more. The stone patio overlooking the jaw-dropping view has lovely teak wood tables and chairs with fresh herb center pieces. We kayaked on the lake, swam in the heated pool and rode the horses every day. We stayed in the lodge this time around and our room enjoyed that awesome view. They staff is very friendly and helpful and we loved our young, energetic trail guides. The horses were wonderful and the trails through the hills were so beautiful. So why not five stars? My only complaint is that the mattresses should be of better quality and the air conditioning (window units - ugh) were loud. I would still recommend it to anyone - it is a favorite of ours.

1  Thank roomserviceplease17
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

We appreciate the very positive review that you posted, noting the many reasons you will return; as well as the two specific areas that disappointed you. A new air conditioning system is on our list of additional improvements; we really appreciate you noted that. Regarding our mattresses, your feedback is very helpful. We find that although they are of excellent quality, it is challenging to have one brand that satisfies all of our guests.
Thank you again for all your kind words and we are happy to know The Mountain Top Inn & Resort is your 'favorite family destination'.
Best regards,

Reviewed 27 June 2014

This resort will now be officially our family's go-to vacation spot in VT. Last time we were here was in 2011, just the hubby and I for my birthday in December. We came back this week for my mom's birthday and was looking forward to the trip as soon as our leaves were approved.

We got the LivingSocial deal this time, which was good for 4 people. Breakfast was a buffet as opposed to the a la carte we had almost 3 years ago. I was looking forward to the wonderfully made eggs benedict I had during our previous visit but the buffet did not disappoint! Our whole family enjoyed the spread and the staff were very friendly. We asked them to refill our water bottles before we headed out to go kayaking and they happily obliged (Thank you Collin and another staff my husband forgot to ask for her name).

We were sorry we did not see Sylvia on our return trip because we would have loved for her to meet our little one but Anne was very gracious and helpful. She tried to find us a better room that would accommodate all 4 adults and an infant with a better lake view. Our room (#105) was fine, it had 2 queen beds but we were in the basement and lugging along the stroller and everything else the baby needed each time we went out was not something we looked forward to. Also, we had to keep the bathroom window blinds closed because people dining on the patio could see us. They did put in a personal fridge as I requested when making the reservation for our baby's food (Thank you, Kasha and Kyle, sorry for the wrong spelling if ever). Anyway, Anne upgraded us to a house. I was very surprised and thought that was really very nice of her! We loved the fact that we had a lot more room to move around in. We were a little paranoid about being up there (it was a 2 minute drive from the resort), surrounded by nature. We did open up some windows but couldn't do the doors due to the screen problem and the bugs coming in. The house did not have central air or window ACs but each room had fans. The baby did not enjoy the first night but we did better the second night thanks to the weather as well and the now fixed screen doors thanks to the maintenance staff Brian and the new guy who was shadowing him that day.

We enjoyed the grounds, which offered horseback riding, swimming and kayaking/ canoeing. There is no staff by the lake so you kayak/ paddle board/ canoe at your own risk (free of charge!). They provide life vests and everything else you may need to do the 3 activities aforementioned. They also have a port potty there and beach loungers. The boat can be rented and was priced at $20 per person.

You can borrow towels to be used poolside from the front desk. They have a gym and arcade in the barn where you can also shower after swimming. They also offer fitness classes that you can sign up for (payment is per session).

Housekeeping stopped in (they clean everyday), but since we just got there the previous night, we didn't really need them to do anything. Sarah asked if we needed anything and offered some supplies. She also graciously informed us that should we need anything later on to just call and they will come back.

We absolutely loved how serene this place is. We loved it there the first time we came and how warm the staff treated us. We were glad we came back and that our birthday celebrant enjoyed her trip to the green mountains. Thank you to the resort's staff for making our stay another memorable one. :) We hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Room 105 had the lake view but I think the rooms on the floor above would give you better views.
2  Thank Aissanne

Thank you so much for taking the time to share the many details of your second visit to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort. We are pleased to hear that we did not disappoint you and your family. Making note of so many of our staff members was most thoughtful and we will be sure to share your praise with each of them. We are glad to know that we are your 'family's go-to vacation spot in VT'.
See you again soon,

Reviewed 20 June 2014

The view is spectacular and the property definitely has some nice lodges including the Jewel at Meadows Edge where we attended a pre-wedding party. If you're looking for a New England wedding, this places is definitely worth checking out. We did not stay at the resort so I can't rate many of the services beyond what I experienced as a guest. We did take our 3 year old grandson for a pony ride and staff was very friendly and great with him. He really loved the ride and Ren was a great horse.

1  Thank TX13SR13
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate your recommendation of The Mountain Top Inn & Resort for anyone planning a wedding in New England. We hope you have the chance to return to Vermont and stay with us, so you can experience all the Resort has to offer.
Khele T. Sparks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
506 On The River Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!