“The View! The bathroom....”

The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I recently stayed here for a conference. The location is truly gorgeous. Every single day no matter what the weather; every window framed a work of art. The pool and hot tub are lovely. The outdoor patio for the restaurant at the Inn is just perfect. My room was "rustic"- as a style not as in "the furniture - including the cushions- came from the barn". The bed was comfortable, the room was clean though a better dusting might have been in order (not gross- don't they ever dust, but once in awhile someone should remember the window sills, top of pictures- like that). The bathroom was beyond heavenly! The common rooms are cozy and sprawling. Really a great place overall.
The front desk staff was nice though perhaps put off by the arrival of 40 or so guests all at once and earlier than expected. The restaurant staff was very nice overall- some were fabulous- though it could be spotty. Never was anyone rude though..
Oh and breakfast was a feast! And they sell a S'more plate for the fire pit. Cool!

Room Tip: Get a room on the lake side- though be ready for some outdoor noise, so if you go to bed early esche...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 August 2014

The Inn at Mountain Top in Chittenden, Vermont is the absolutely finest destination resort in Vermont. Any Season, you can boat, swim, hike, horseback ride, X-C ski, skate, and enjoy the finest dining experience. It is an historic building, but the rooms are wonderfully modern still keeping that historic feel. The staff is exemplary and will make you feel like old friends immediately. I was formerly from this Vermont area and would always go there for any special event, or just "because". Now that we live on the West side of the USA, it's always still a special treat to be sure we go there. it is definitely "Mountain top", but well worth the extra miles to arrive there.

Room Tip: Front of the Inn facing the Chittenden dam are my favorites, but they are all lovely.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheila B
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed here recently for a wedding. Overall, I would say this place is a bit rustic--- great if you're planning an outdoorsy weekend and want a step above camping, but not nice enough to warrant $200+ hotel rooms. No sense of customer service.

When I made my reservation, we were promised a second floor room to have a better lake view. When we arrived, we were given a room on the bottom floor- nestled next to the ice machine and the tavern kitchen. Diners on the patio could look directly into our windows, so we had to keep the shades drawn for privacy. It felt like we were in the servants' quarters (for $200+) and did not get the nicest lake view since we were on the bottom floor. There were several moths in our room.

The tavern food was very tasty, but service was slow and any substitutions (even just a side of greens as a healthy alternative to the French fries) meant an upcharge.

In terms of the wedding, this place is ideal for the vista and the barn-- it's quite beautiful. Again, service left something to be desired. They ran out of hors d'oeuvres and should have replenished quicker. Our table ran out of basic condiments (salad dressing, butter, bread). Wait staff never came by to refill the wine so we got up and refilled on our own. The main course was served quite later (after 9pm). It just seemed that for the venue, the staff should have been more on the ball, more proactive, and less reactive.

Free Wi-Fi is advertised but it is terrible. I know some people want to disconnect but be prepared to be unable to communicate; it was really hard to get in touch with friends (i.e., we couldn't make phone calls and texts sometimes just barely got through in order to arrange meeting up on the premises).

I'm sure this place is great for an outdoorsy weekend. I would recommend enjoying the amenities but staying in a rental nearby, as the lodge rooms are very dated and a bit musty.

We asked for a later check-out time and they flat-out refused and told us to be out by 11:00 AM. It was a Sunday-- they really have that many people checking in on a Sunday? It seemed more like the cleaning staff wanted to get the job done as soon as possible and not have to stay any later than necessary.

Room Tip: I'd say ask for the second floor lake view, but that was what was promised to us and they put us...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 617Traveler2014
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for writing this detailed review. We appreciate that your time is valuable.

As you were kind to note, with our natural surroundings, we are blessed with a beautiful and unique destination for special events such as weddings - and we strive to have our service and amenities meet those same high standards.

We sincerely apologize that there were elements of your stay with which you were not satisfied. As with many of our weddings, the schedule of events, room assignments, menu and other details are determined by the wedding party - as was the case with your stay. However, that does not mean that we could not do a better job of communicating any changes or non-standard timing to you so that you would have the information necessary to enjoy your stay.

We take pride in going above and beyond when a guest points out an issue and it is frustrating when we are unable to solve a particular problem - such as the level of a first floor window or sometimes spotty wireless or cell phone service. All of which, as you pointed out, can be challenges. Specifically for the wifi, as technologies advance, we are constantly working to ensure uninterrupted access.

We also regret that we could not accommodate a late check-out for you. A separate wedding party was scheduled to arrive that day and unfortunately our housekeeping staff required the standard amount of time to prepare the rooms. Point in case, if we did not communicate this to you, we should have.

Please be assured, your input is important to us and we take it very seriously. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, it has already been used to influence our operational procedures.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I recently visited for a trail ride and also played some disc golf. The trail ride, led by Marisa, was excellent. Staff seemed very skilled at judging your riding level and acting accordingly. Got a nice look at the property from horseback. Trails were wooded and not just flat roads, which makes for a really nice ride. All equipment was in excellent condition and the service friendly. The disc golf was also enjoyable, course and equipment again in great condition.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Many thanks for your excellent review of our Resort. We are glad you had the chance to enjoy a trail ride and to describe what you experienced to future guests. You comments about our equestrian center staff will be shared with them so they know how much our guests appreciate their passion and knowledge. Hopefully you will find your way back to see us again very soon!
Best regards,

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Fox Hollow cottage just up the road from the Inn and it was beautiful. The space was large, clean, comfortable, and felt very much like a log cabin. The view from out front door was stunning--a panorama of the mountains and the reservoir. We visited the equestrian center and also participated in clay pigeon shooting. The food and beer was sourced as much as possible from local vendors and was good as well.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort. We are glad to hear you enjoyed staying in Fox Hollow, one of our select vacation home rentals. Please be sure to request it again the next time you visit.
Many thanks,

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We and our children and grandchildren, making a party of eight, spent five days at Mountain Top. We received unfailingly excellent and cordial service, extremely comfortable lodging with every conceivable amenity, tremendously entertaining activities of every description, etc, etc,etc.

Everyone agreed it was the best ever.

Oh yes, the food was delicious. A great American vacation experience.

Also, beautiful, serene, quiet surroundings.

Room Tip: The rental homes are an excellent value.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your excellent review of the Resort based on your recent stay with us. We know how special family vacations are, so we are delighted to have made yours 'the best ever'.
We look forward to welcoming you back real soon!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I have always wanted to go to a "riding camp" for adults. I searched and searched and found the Equestrian Center at the Mountain Top Inn and Resort.
Upon arriving at the equestrian center, I was warmly greeted by Arden, my instructor and trainer for 5 days. Arden, a 20 yr. old college sophomore has the maturity of someone much older. Not only is she mature, personable, warm, intelligent, and knows almost everything about horses, her ease of style and great sense of humor made this past week one of the best experiences of my life. I have only been riding for about 19 months and today will be my last lesson with Arden. I really hate to say good-bye to her as she has taught me so much, and has helped my with my own self assurance when riding. The appropriate words are not there to express my gratitude for what Arden has done for my riding. She's wonderful!
I would also like to commend the entire equestrian center staff, a group of young ladies that never ceased to amaze me, Sarah, Abby, Jenny, Katey, and Sophie. They were all warm, and delightful to be around. I was working so hard to get my canter down and when I did they all were there applauding for me.
If you are thinking of going to "camp", taking a lesson, or going on a trail ride I enthusiastically recommend the Equestrian Center at the Mountain Top Inn and Resort.
I will be back next year and won't Arden be surprised when she sees how far I've come along with my riding abilities. I have her to thank for it all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the mountains and the lake. Room 117 was a gem.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank George011958
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you so much for your detailed review of our Equestrian Center staff and programs. It is rewarding for our staff to know that they have exceeded the expectations of our guests. Feedback like yours allows us to continue to excel at what we we do.
We look forward to seeing you again next year!
Most sincerely,
Khele T. Sparks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
6 mi away
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!