“Looking forward to a Second visit”

The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Plan to retract my previous review regarding Mountian Top. My husband and I were very satisfied with the sevice the hotel extended to us once learning of our disatisfaction. We are looking forward to a second visit.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VacationNewHampshire
There are newer reviews for The Mountain Top Inn & Resort

Reviewed 28 February 2009

My son, some friends, and I spent the Presidents Day weekend at the Mountain Top Inn. I'm a cross country skier and I was thrilled with the Inn's 60K of perfectly groomed trails in a setting with beautiful views. We stayed in the main inn in the budget rooms. I've stayed at other lodges, and I would say these were the cleanest I've seen with lots of closet space for bulky winter gear. The Inn lit up a sledding hill at night and the kids had a great time together and with the other young guests. The downhill skiers in our group went to near by Killington.

I also had a great experience with the staff at the activity center. My ski boot (my own) broke and they could not have been more helpful, letting me try out some new boots they ordered with a option to buy if I liked them (I did). They also provided perfect guidance on finding the trails that suited my ability.

The Inn served a spectacular breakfast. The activity center provided very reasonably priced, freshly made sandwiches and soups for lunch. The kids were thrilled with the cookies backed right there. There was no need to bring your own lunch. In the evening we did not eat in the well reviewed dining room, but stuck with the more affordable Tavern. That was a disappointment; the food was a bit stogy.

The Inn is a nice balance between providing comforts for a relaxing vacation while keeping the atmosphere low key. We had a great time and would be happy to return.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2009

There were 10 of us in the 4 bedroom cabin (The Horseshoe Ridge). So our experience should be very different from if you just rented a hotel room. The cabin is hundreds of feet away from the next guest-inhabited building so we had a marvelous time being loud and boisterous without disturbing anyone. The furnishing is clean, tidy, homey and charming. The staff provided us with abundant firewood and accessories to work the fire place. We liked it so much that we decided to order in instead of going out for dinner so we can all relax, drink and eat by the fire. We only wish there's kitchenette too. But then again, who really wants to cook in the middle of a ski trip?

The road out to the main routes is narrow and full of turns. There're also deer about. So drive carefully. They did a great job clearing out the snow though.

The staff at the front desk and the restaurant are all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 February 2009

mountain top inn is a spectacular inn in a spectacular setting...two couples went to visit, cross country ski and relax. our rooms would have definitely passed my designer's standards, food great and served on fine dishes with expensive flatware. when we ordered a lovely bottle of wine, we were surprised to see it arrive in genuine Reidl glasses. no touch is overlooked here.

all this aside, the staff is the most friendly and every accommodates..the manager was happy to give us the recipe for the "Five onion soup".

we left refreshed after 3 days of exercise and eating, and really sad that we had to leave...we'll be back...and urge you to support this wonderful inn as well..

peach's mom

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2009

My wife and I examined the Inn website then called the Inn directly, reserved room with view of mountains/lake for mid week stay. Most rooms have lake/mountain view, but make sure you ask for this view. When we arrived we were upgraded without extra cost due to low occupancy mid week. Room/lounge/restaurant areas are attractive/clean/comfortably appointed, not ostentatious. Bed was very comfortable. Outstanding physical setting; mountains/rolling hills/vistas. Located at end of two lane road; very quiet. Cross country ski/trails excellent; most groomed, some not groomed. Varied well marked terrain with clear green/blue/black signs. We are novice/intermediate skill level skiers; excellent trails through primarily wooded areas. Took lessons; the instructors were patient and outstanding. Skated in the small, lighted, plowed outdoor rink in front of Inn. Reception, wait staff very friendly, competent, responsive, helpful. Breakfast and dinner food excellent. Only negative was noise from other guests (TVs primarily) was occasionally noticeable.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2009

My fiance and I were engaged in February of '08 in beautiful Lake Placid, NY. Upon returning to Vermont, we were excited to scope out the potential venues for our wedding. The Mountain Top was first on our list. Upon calling, we were offered a beautiful room that very upcoming Friday!
The staff was so professional and completely attentive from start to finish.
It was so family friendly, but care taken to ensure that child less couples for the weekend like us were not disturbed. We enjoyed watching the old fashioned fun of sledding out our back window complete with kids and even a few dogs, but would have never known either was there unless we looked. It was peaceful and serene.
The views are breath taking, the food was melt in your mouth incredible, the room and overall appearance of the Inn inside and out was meticulously clean and prepared just for us!
We felt like celebrities on the most romantic getaway ever, where of course...no one recognized us!
I would highly recommend visiting this spectacular piece of heaven nestled quietly in the beautiful mountainside of Vermont!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2009

The service at the Mountain Top Inn & Resort is terrible and the resort itself is in major need of renovation. Additionally, any alleged discounts are nothing more than a scam. The staff is defensive about rather than committed to addressing the resort's shortcomings. The resort's shortcomings are many a few examples are as follows: the railing on the exterior of the resort is split, the front steps are crumbling and slate is missing, the rooms have bug and rodent repellent devices in very visible spaces, the bedding smells, depending on what room your in you will experience sewage odors (which the resort staff is well aware of.), the heating system is non adjustable.

As for the staff they are curt, defensive and non responsive. The staff at a Super 8 motel is friendlier and more accommodating.

Any discount offered is a sham. The resort offered a discount rate that was supposed to include one free dinner and free breakfast on each day. However they then charge a facilities fee which covers among other things breakfast and dinner. So you do not receive the benefit alleged in the discount price. In addition, the facilities fee was supposed to include access to all resort facilities. However, when you arrive the staff will inform you that certain things cost extra such as sleigh rides. In short you feel as if you've been ripped off by deceptive advertising. Perhaps the local department of consumer affairs will be helpful in investigating such deceptive advertising scams.

In short, I'd recommend staying anywhere but this establishment. I left frustrated, angry, and generally felt ripped off.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ybzzaj
mtntopinn195, General Manager at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2009

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns regarding your experience while visiting The Mountain Top Inn & Resort. Feedback from our guests is an important part of improving our service. Our goal is to encourage guests to share any concerns during their stay so that they may be addressed immediately. It is apparent we did not meet this goal during your visit and for that we apologize.

Your comments and observations are important to our managers and staff in helping us to provide a guest experience that inspires a return visit to our resort. It is clear from your review that we missed many opportunities to create the enjoyable vacation you anticipated.

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss any aspect of your stay in further detail and ask that you contact me directly at khele@mountaintopinn.com at your convenience. I hope that our conversation will result in allowing us the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort and regaining your confidence.

Most sincerely,
Khele Sparks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
506 On The River Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!