We just returned from a wonderful three day vacation on Mountain Top and were very very happy with all aspects of the trip. We booked the horseback riding package which included 2 hours per day of riding for each of us. My wife is an advanced rider and I am a more layed-back once a year rider. They did a wonderful job finding the right horses and the right treks for both of us. The horses were very well cared for and the staff clearly loved their job taking riders out into the mountains around the Inn.
Since the going rate for horseback riding in the area (e.g., Killington) is $50 per hour, that total of 12 hours of riding is worth $600. However, that all comes with the three night package and we got a 20% discount for arriving on Sunday which turned into a very good deal. The package included all taxes and fees, so it was really the way to go. With a small teacher's conference in the main lodge, they even upgraded us to a cabin. Our particular cabin was a duplex that did have another couple with a dog and a child in the other half, but it was very quiet. The Inn seems to be near the end of the road so it felt quite isolated. It is the only lodge on the lake (with the only beach), and although there are a handful of hidden houses in the area, most of the facilities and the lake is bordered by National Forest, so it really feels quite isolated.
Within about 20 minutes of arriving, we were out taking out a canoe on the gorgeous, pristine lake (the canoes and kayaks are provided free to guests). On a Sunday afternoon, we were initially the only ones at the beach and the only boat on the lake. After about half hour, the local game warden traveled across the whole lake to pay us a visit and after looking at our life preservers, told us that we had the wrong grade and gave us a fine of $65. The management at Mountain Top Inn, however, quickly apologized, paid our fine and removed all of the inappropriate preservers. As one of the other guests remarked when we told them the story: "The Inn takes care of their guests".
The food was excellent. We sat outside overlooking the lake every morning (eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, yogurt, cereal etc) and every evening. You can choose from either the restaurant menu or the Tavern and I thought it was reasonably priced for the quality. My favorites were the dishes that included wild mushrooms that were collected by the chef from the surrounding area. Wild raspberries were also plentiful and went home with a bunch.
I do want to emphasize the quality of the equestrian facilities. My wife took full advantage of the jumping grounds as well as an advanced walk, trot cantor ride out on the forest trails (and one day on a Percheron). I was happy to ride on a horse named "Chunk" who seemed to be very clever and have a surprising understanding of what I could and could not do. All the staff were extremely friendly and appeared to love their jobs and their horses.
As far as I could tell, everyone at the Inn while we were there seemed very happy with their visit. Killington is about 25 minutes away, and one afternoon we took that tram up to the top and had a very pleasant hike with magnificent views of Vermont.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located centrally, just 11 miles from Killington, The Mountain Top is the quintessential Vermont Mountain Resort. Set, literally, at the top of a mountain on a private road, the resort rests on 350 acres with sweeping views of the surrounding Green Mountains and a 740 acre lake (with private beach). With a variety of winter, summer and year-round activities, the Mountain Top is the perfect 4-season escape. Accommodation types include rooms and suites in the main lodge, Cabins and guest houses (guest houses are available for short & long term stays). Other amenities include Dining Room & Tavern (outdoor seating in summer), heated pool with a view, hot tub, brand new full service spa and salon, yoga classes, fitness center, tennis court, hiking and mountain biking trails, canoeing, pontoon boat rides, horseback riding, xc-skiing, snow tubing, ice skating, events, conferences and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Mountain Top Inn & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mountain Top Hotel Chittenden
- The Mountain Top Inn And Resort
- Mountain Top Hotel
- The Mountain Top Inn & Resort Vermont/Chittenden