“Wonderfully relaxed, horseback riding, break”

The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We just returned from a wonderful three day vacation on Mountain Top and were very very happy with all aspects of the trip. We booked the horseback riding package which included 2 hours per day of riding for each of us. My wife is an advanced rider and I am a more layed-back once a year rider. They did a wonderful job finding the right horses and the right treks for both of us. The horses were very well cared for and the staff clearly loved their job taking riders out into the mountains around the Inn.

Since the going rate for horseback riding in the area (e.g., Killington) is $50 per hour, that total of 12 hours of riding is worth $600. However, that all comes with the three night package and we got a 20% discount for arriving on Sunday which turned into a very good deal. The package included all taxes and fees, so it was really the way to go. With a small teacher's conference in the main lodge, they even upgraded us to a cabin. Our particular cabin was a duplex that did have another couple with a dog and a child in the other half, but it was very quiet. The Inn seems to be near the end of the road so it felt quite isolated. It is the only lodge on the lake (with the only beach), and although there are a handful of hidden houses in the area, most of the facilities and the lake is bordered by National Forest, so it really feels quite isolated.

Within about 20 minutes of arriving, we were out taking out a canoe on the gorgeous, pristine lake (the canoes and kayaks are provided free to guests). On a Sunday afternoon, we were initially the only ones at the beach and the only boat on the lake. After about half hour, the local game warden traveled across the whole lake to pay us a visit and after looking at our life preservers, told us that we had the wrong grade and gave us a fine of $65. The management at Mountain Top Inn, however, quickly apologized, paid our fine and removed all of the inappropriate preservers. As one of the other guests remarked when we told them the story: "The Inn takes care of their guests".

The food was excellent. We sat outside overlooking the lake every morning (eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, yogurt, cereal etc) and every evening. You can choose from either the restaurant menu or the Tavern and I thought it was reasonably priced for the quality. My favorites were the dishes that included wild mushrooms that were collected by the chef from the surrounding area. Wild raspberries were also plentiful and went home with a bunch.

I do want to emphasize the quality of the equestrian facilities. My wife took full advantage of the jumping grounds as well as an advanced walk, trot cantor ride out on the forest trails (and one day on a Percheron). I was happy to ride on a horse named "Chunk" who seemed to be very clever and have a surprising understanding of what I could and could not do. All the staff were extremely friendly and appeared to love their jobs and their horses.

As far as I could tell, everyone at the Inn while we were there seemed very happy with their visit. Killington is about 25 minutes away, and one afternoon we took that tram up to the top and had a very pleasant hike with magnificent views of Vermont.

highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Mountain Top Inn & Resort

Reviewed 30 July 2009

Jenna and Rob were married at The Mountain Top, and I was honored to have been invited. Her mom is a high school pal, and two others from our class of '69 in D.C. roomed with me, so we had a mini-reunion. The weather was blessedly cooperative, making for a lovely outdoor ceremony in The Meadow. Rob's folks hosted a barbeque for all who had arrived by Friday night. The patio setting was great for getting to know people and catching up with others not seen in 20 years. Having a bedroom just down the hall from all weekend activities made for an extra measure of comfort. Wish we had had more time to partake of more of the Inn's offerings, and to visit Rutland. Hope I can conjure a good reason to return!

Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 June 2009

Want to experience very sensibly priced total comfort, cleanliness, hospitality, amicable staff and fabulous culinary fare? Want to have more experiences available on the grounds than time in the day to try them all? If this is appealing to you, make a visit to the beautiful "The Mountain Top Inn and Resort" in Chitterdon, Vermont. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I went there this past weekend with my girlfriend and stayed in the North Woods room. It had an amazing view of the lake and rolling hills.

The front desk, general manager, and housekeeping were all very friendly and courteous. I look forward to going back there again in the Summertime.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2009

Plan to retract my previous review regarding Mountian Top. My husband and I were very satisfied with the sevice the hotel extended to us once learning of our disatisfaction. We are looking forward to a second visit.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VacationNewHampshire
Reviewed 28 February 2009

My son, some friends, and I spent the Presidents Day weekend at the Mountain Top Inn. I'm a cross country skier and I was thrilled with the Inn's 60K of perfectly groomed trails in a setting with beautiful views. We stayed in the main inn in the budget rooms. I've stayed at other lodges, and I would say these were the cleanest I've seen with lots of closet space for bulky winter gear. The Inn lit up a sledding hill at night and the kids had a great time together and with the other young guests. The downhill skiers in our group went to near by Killington.

I also had a great experience with the staff at the activity center. My ski boot (my own) broke and they could not have been more helpful, letting me try out some new boots they ordered with a option to buy if I liked them (I did). They also provided perfect guidance on finding the trails that suited my ability.

The Inn served a spectacular breakfast. The activity center provided very reasonably priced, freshly made sandwiches and soups for lunch. The kids were thrilled with the cookies backed right there. There was no need to bring your own lunch. In the evening we did not eat in the well reviewed dining room, but stuck with the more affordable Tavern. That was a disappointment; the food was a bit stogy.

The Inn is a nice balance between providing comforts for a relaxing vacation while keeping the atmosphere low key. We had a great time and would be happy to return.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2009

There were 10 of us in the 4 bedroom cabin (The Horseshoe Ridge). So our experience should be very different from if you just rented a hotel room. The cabin is hundreds of feet away from the next guest-inhabited building so we had a marvelous time being loud and boisterous without disturbing anyone. The furnishing is clean, tidy, homey and charming. The staff provided us with abundant firewood and accessories to work the fire place. We liked it so much that we decided to order in instead of going out for dinner so we can all relax, drink and eat by the fire. We only wish there's kitchenette too. But then again, who really wants to cook in the middle of a ski trip?

The road out to the main routes is narrow and full of turns. There're also deer about. So drive carefully. They did a great job clearing out the snow though.

The staff at the front desk and the restaurant are all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
506 On The River Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!