“The Mountain Top Inn: The Best of Vt in some many ways”

The Mountain Top Inn & Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Reviewed 11 March 2007

My wife and I had the good fortunate to stay at The Mountain Top Inn for a couple of nights this past week ( wk of 3/407). This was our first visit to this wonderful place. The experience was more that anyone can hope for in some many ways. Anyone looking for that little piece of heaven on earth has to make tracks to this place. This one will be very hard to beat.

It all started when I first spoke to Lindsey when I was making the reservation. Never having stayed at the inn, I wanted to get a nice room with a view. I was torn between a luxury suite, a chalet or one of the pet friendly cabins. Lindsey did a nice job describing the accommodations and ultimately I decided on the High Meadow Suite.

When we opened the door to the suite and saw the accommodations , than the view, we felt like we hit the lottery. Simply outstanding! Words cannot describe the experience. We left the hectic world behind and enjoyed the next few days in beautiful surroundings.

I also made dinner reservation for the two nights we stayed there. Since our stay coincided with the colds days of the year, we were glad we were dining at the Inn. My wife is a Vegan, so I called ahead to make sure they could accommodate her. Another home run! The staff went out of their way to make sure everything was just right. The dinners where awesome and the wines complemented the meals perfectly. Having the table next to the fireplace was just another way these folks go out of their way to make their guest feel special.

The services were great on every turn. Everyone one we met was friendly and they all tried to make our stay a pleasant one. Jeff, the assistant manager, (hope I got that right Jeff) turnout to be an excellent ambassador for the Inn. He spent time giving us a history of the Inn and we loved every minute of it.

Thanks to Steve, Diane, Sylvia, Jay, and Will the Chef, for making our stay memorable. Will was even kind enough to send us some receipts for a couple of the excellent culinary delights they prepared for us.

This is the place folks. If you are heading to VT, make this your first stop . You won’t regret it, and you won’t forget it for a very long time.

Best Wishes

John & Lynn

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grizman

Reviewed 26 February 2007

Our family spent a long weekend in Feb '07 at the Mountain Top Inn. The facilties were great for a family. The rooms were pleasant and the Lodge sitting rooms comfortable and spacious, so that many people could be in the same space without feeling like you intruded.

Cookies, coffee, tea and cocoa were available during the day and breakfast buffet was included.

The beautiful views and outside facilities made this hotel worth the price! Great sledding, X-country skiing, skating and snowshoeing at your door. Horse drawn sleighs and dog sleds were also available.

Pleasant staff!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Ms5h
Reviewed 1 February 2007

As a mother of two children under the age of three, I have not slept through the night in, quite literally, years. On occasion I am able to travel without my family, but end up sleeping lightly and waking frequently, even though I am on my own.

I had chalked frequent awakenings, with or without kids, up to habit... until my recent stay at the Mountain Top Inn. I slept for a deep eight hours... woke up... and dozed for another hour. It was so incredibly peaceful. My room was like a comfortable and beautiful cave with deep red tones and wooden log accents, right down to the bed frame; my king-sized bed, a nest.

As I tucked myself in under the genuine down comforter, snow fell lightly outside and the moon illuminated the expansive, quiet, sledding hill. No scratchy sheets or polyester bed covers, no boilers kicking in, no sounds from other guests, nothing from the plumbing, the HVAC, or the like. Mountain Top, you are wonderful!

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank Legalpig
Reviewed 5 January 2007

OVERALL
My opinion is that this place is overpriced. My fioncee and I booked a special package deal for $199/Night that got us free breakfast and nothing else. We were upgraded from the lodge to a private cabin and the extra space was nice.....especially since a family with three unsupervised kids was staying at the lodge and letting them run free. We were annoyed that the staff allowed the kids to be unsupervised, jumping up and down on the couches in the main lodge, and making noise (again unsupervised) in the breakfast room in the morning. We had come to the lodge to relax, and the kids made this nearly impossible at times. The service was not at the level that we have received elsewhere, but in all fairness to the resort, we arrived on Christmas Day and I'm sure that they were short staffed. There were one or two staff members who seemed to be on the ball, and hustled a bit for us to ensure that we received exceptional service, however the other half of the staff did the minimum to prevent us from complaining. We especially liked the wait staff in the bar at lunch time, and in the restaurant at dinner. The formal dress code is not enforced and many guests, especially those under 21 wore jeans in the dining room. We would have preferred to have been more informal, but decided to follow the rules.

THE BAR
We felt that the turkey sandwich at the bar was outstanding, and enjoyed the Genesis Syrah which was offered by the glass for $10 per glass or by the bottle for $32 / Bottle. We actually loved the wine so much that we went home and purchased a case of it! Great Pick!

VALUE WHEN COMPARED TO OTHER OPTIONS IN THE AREA
We've stayed at several neighboring B&Bs, and didn't feel that we received a good value for the price paid at the Mountain Top. In the end, we paid approximately $400 for two nights, plus an additional $350 for food. We've stayed at near-by high-end B&Bs and received lodging, breakfast, dinner, and Killington ski-passes for less than $250 per day. Perhaps if we were able to use the hotel's activity center (there was snow on the ground) we would have felt differently about the value. If snow was on the ground, access to the resort's cross country ski trails would have been included.

COMPARED TO THE FOX CREEK (B&B Next Door)
Possibly it isn't fair to compare the Mountain Top Inn to the Fox Creek given the fact that one is a resort, and the other a B&B....but if lodging and food is all you are after, we recommend the Fox Creek. The food was above average at the Mountain Top, however I have to say that we felt that the folks at the Fox Creek Inn did a better job with dinner and provided superior value. We also liked the dinner ambiance at the Fox Creek better - more of a candle lit romantic setting vs. a more bright and family feeling at the Mountain top. The Mountain Top has more of a Ski Lodge / Retreat feel. Aesthetically, the Mountain Top Inn's lodge is more high-end and luxurious - yet the luxury has a bit of a forced feel which makes the lodge less cozy. The Big Screen TV is nice, and the gas fireplace is big and beautiful, and we were happy to have internet access.....but is this what you come to Vermont for????? The Fox Creek's lodge is more home like and cozy. At the Mountain Top inn, we had free coffee but had to ask for the self-service coffee station to be refilled. At the Fox Creek inn, the beverages were always stocked, and we were surprised with things like complimentary cheese plates, and hot cider. The inn keeper at the Fox Creek is friendly and experienced and very sincere when welcoming you to his B&B. The mountaintop Inn appeared to have more of a team approach to management that was less personal - it wasn't obvious to us who was in charge, and we didn't feel as appreciated and special as we have felt in other places. I should also point out that we stayed at both resorts at Christmas Time (Mountain Top in for 2006, and Fox Creek in 2005.)

I hope that you will find my review useful. If I were to go back to the Killington area again, I'd probably book a slope-side ski and stay package and use the restaurants at the resort. Another less high-end, yet fun and campy place to stay in the Killington area is the Lodge at Long Trail which also has meal plans.

2  Thank TheSimpleTruth89
Reviewed 4 January 2007

My husband and I stayed at the inn for a long New Years holiday weekend and loved it! We arrived on Dec. 30th and it was snowing, which was just beautiful. We stated in the Lago Vista Suite, which was beautifully appointed. There is a wall of windows over looking the sledding hill and then on to the lake with a mountain beyond. The bathroom was lovely too with a jet tub perfect for soaking and a separate multiple head shower. We enjoyed the fireplace in our room very much.
We ate mainly in the Tavern except for New Years Eve when we ate in the dinning room during the last seating on a six coursed specially planned dinner. The wait staff was always very friendly and Jay, the dining room manager, is very nice and helpful. The bartender, Matt, is also very fun to chat with. The food was always good and New Years Eve dinner was wonderful. However we both ate more than we should. New Years Eve was capped off with a fabulous fire works show at midnight, of which we had the most spectacular view of from our room on the second floor. It was as if the fire works were just for the two of us.
There are also great activities at the Inn. We are both alpine skiers and so cross-cournty skiing was a great adventure for us. The staff, especially Bill, at the Nordic Center was very helpful and polite. We also took a sleigh ride during one afternoon which was fun and followed that with a delightful hike down to the lake. We took full advantage of the sledding hill too. My favorite activity was the dog sled. The dogs are precious and what a wonderful adventure, something I had never done.
We were looking for a wonderful romantic and relaxing getaway for the long New Years holiday and the Mountain Top Inn was perfect. The only complaint would be the friendliness and or eagerness of the people at the front desk to help or assist. You are shooting 50/50 on whether the person behind the counter is going to smile and say “How can I help you” or make you feel like you are bothering them. But I need to qualify this statement by saying we are both from Texas and generally expect people to be overly helpful and friendly. Once they would start speaking with us, they were very nice. All and all a lovely holiday.

Reviewed 2 January 2007

The mountain top is an excellent find for anyone seeking a rustic and somewhat do-it-yourself weekend! The property and setting is like no other and the accomodations are terrific (we stayed in a chalet) -- the picture-perfect, snowy Vermont weekend.

A few words of caution which will make your stay better:

1) The service is a bit awkward and untrained [but they mean well and overall do a good job of getting you what you need] so be prepared.

2) The restaurant is over-priced and not good. Your not missing anything by not eating there and will be much better off making the 10-min drive to Killington or cooking yourself. We read the same thing in previous reviews and still made the mistake of going.

3) Poorly marked trails. If you're a hiker or a cross-country skier and plan to jaunt on some of their less traveled trails - beware! The trail map is only partially correct and the trails themselves are not well marked.

Don't let the above 3 points deter you from going though. My wife and I plan to go back and will be sure to take our own advice when we do.

Enjoy!

2  Thank frogman73
Reviewed 1 January 2007

Wow, What can I say? My husband and I stayed at this Inn for New years Weekend and we had the BEST time, We stayed in a corner suite called Mamie's Retreat, With a Thermal tub and a doublesided fireplace from the bedroom to the living room, The room was clean and had a pleasant Country decor, I was hoping we would never have to leave. We ate in the Tavern on the first night Great food and excellent service (There was a solo guitarist performing great songs that really set a great mood in the room) New years Eve day we took a Sleigh ride around the property (Mike who was in charge of the horses and Sleigh was very nice and made the ride the best time).New years Eve we booked dinner in the main dining room, We were escorted to a beautiful table that had special New years Menu's set out for us along with a new years crown for me and hat for my husband. We then had a six course meal that could only be described as fabulous...(Also the dining room manger (Jay) is a great).He took the time to have a conversation with us during our dinner..We had a champagne toast at midnight in the Tavern while the solo guitarist sang in the new year, And just went I thought it could not get any better (FIREWORKS) over the lake. I cannot say enough nice things about this place....

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
506 On The River Inn
#3 of 6 in Woodstock
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Hampton Inn Rutland/Killington
Best Western Inn & Suites Rutland-Killington
Woodstock Inn and Resort
Killington Grand Resort Hotel

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!