We had visited this resort in 2004 and were highly impressed with all aspects. Our room was spacious, breakfast was in the dining room with a menu from which to order, dinner was outstanding and, of course, the mountain view was to die for.
So we went back this year for two nights. We reserved the room with the balcony overlooking the lake and mountains. It was considered a higher end room. From the photos, we thought it would be similar to the room from 2004 plus the balcony. With taxes and resort fees, this room was nearly $500. per night. All that was included was breakfast and use of the beach.
When we entered the room, we were surprised to see how narrow it was. So narrow that the end tables were about 6 inches wide! The bathroom looked okay but the towels were the thin and looked old. they were not the linens of a high end place. They were the linens of a highway motel! When I tried to get out of the glass door of the shower I found myself having to step over the toilet to do so. It was as if there had been no tape measure involved involved in the design process. Inside the very large jacuzzi/shower was a lot of mold all around the grout. Not deluxe at all.
The balcony was nice, but the screen was full of tears so we had some flies visiting us.
We were looking forward to the memorable breakfast but when we went downstairs, we saw a buffet with the usual scrambled eggs, supermarket danish, bacon, sausage...nothing special. A group of about 5 waitstaff congregated at the bar of this help yourself meal and gossiped about boyfriends. Hmmm, I thought, why do they need that many people to watch us help ourselves? Many of the coffee cups were dirty and the self-serve toaster was covered with dust. They could be taking orders from the lovely menu in the room with the tablecloths! I was told that they only do the breakfast menu when there are fewer than 30 people. Um, can we get a refund?
At around 9:30am, housekeeping knocked and we were just about to leave but they said they would return. They returned at 5pm. They spent about 3 minutes in the room. They left no shampoo refill and failed to take the used glasses. All they did was make the bed, replace the tiny towels, and spray something in the air.
We had dinner there both nights and found it to be very good, especially the unique flavors of homemade ice cream. Both of us ordered specials on both nights and they were delicious. I would say that the dining room was run very well both in the kitchen and up front.
When we checked out, they had not slipped the bill under the door and the desk person made an unkind remark about a coworker under her breath. Some of the desk staff were way too loud. We could hear them several rooms away. I heard one woman carrying on and on about how a couple staying at the inn waited until the last minute to reserve for dinner and how she had to tell them they may have to wait for quite a while. The couple was standing right there. Meanwhile, the dining room staff were trying to tell her that they had plenty of space. It seemed like she was scolding the guests. Instead of using the phone, she was yelling down the stairs.
We did enjoy the beach, kayaking, and fishing. The natural environment there is truly wonderful. They need to get classier and more consistent with the inn itself for us to ever return, however. The service and amenities should match the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located centrally, just 11 miles from Killington, The Mountain Top is the quintessential Vermont Mountain Resort. Set, literally, at the top of a mountain on a private road, the resort rests on 350 acres with sweeping views of the surrounding Green Mountains and a 740 acre lake (with private beach). With a variety of winter, summer and year-round activities, the Mountain Top is the perfect 4-season escape. Accommodation types include rooms and suites in the main lodge, Cabins and guest houses (guest houses are available for short & long term stays). Other amenities include Dining Room & Tavern (outdoor seating in summer), heated pool with a view, hot tub, brand new full service spa and salon, yoga classes, fitness center, tennis court, hiking and mountain biking trails, canoeing, pontoon boat rides, horseback riding, xc-skiing, snow tubing, ice skating, events, conferences and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelClick, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Mountain Top Inn & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mountain Top Hotel Chittenden
- The Mountain Top Inn And Resort
- Mountain Top Hotel
- The Mountain Top Inn & Resort Vermont/Chittenden