I spent about 24 hours at the Mountain Top Inn with my sister and kids. We were active the whole time, spending great family time together and living summer to its fullest!
When one walks in, one is met with an incredible view of the mountains of Green Mountain National Forest. The Inn is situated at the rim of what appears to be a mountain "bowl" scooped out by glaciers many years ago. One thing of many that makes this place special is its location... Because the view is comprised exclusively of the Green Mountain National Forest, anywhere one looks, there are nothing but mountains - not a house or structure in site! The mountains are so green this time of year, the setting is truly breathtaking.
The kids (ages 4 and 6) are taken with the water, so we spent the afternoon on the beach. We decided to walk down the path, an easy mile through the woods. At the beach, there were kayaks and canoes with which to explore the vast, rocky shores of the pristine Chittenden Reservoir. We headed to a distant shore and spent several hours exploring the beach and trails.
Having spent the entire afternoon outside, we didn't get to check in until it was time to clean up for dinner. Our room beckoned for us to stay and relax, with two queen beds, sumptuous linens (that I would love to have in my own home!), a Jacuzzi tub, and deep red wallpaper that portrayed hound dogs in a hunting theme.
A little nap may have been in order, but we had two small kids and dinner was waiting. We sat outside, that breathtaking view providing a backdrop. Hummingbirds flitted around the flower displays and feeders, and the patio held cute little stacked pots, with culinary herbs. My cajun salmon was world-class; my sister's gazpacho was incredible. The kids played tag on the vast sloping lawn in front of our table when they got restless, then after dinner we moved over to the shuffleboard courts for a little more activity.
Breakfast the next morning was also very good, with lots of choices and the full contintental fare. After tanking up, we played tennis, walked around the horse jumping field, and poked around the activity center while we waited for our pony ride appointment.
The kids have been on horses at fairs, but this was something special. They each chose a helmet, and climbed on to two very gentle horses. The staff was very helpful (and very patient with my picture-taking) and I was suprised that the kids, even though they are not exposed to horses, were not fearful at all of the large equines. We set off through the woods, past the fly fishing pond. Between the view, horses, and warm sun, it almost felt like we were in the Rockies.
Although I was there with my sister and young children, I can see how the Mountain Top Inn would also be a really great destination for a romantic escape. The property is big enough that finding one's one space is easy... and beautiful enough to inspire love in anybody. The Mountain Top Inn would be a great place to propose or have a wedding.
Although I can appreciate that couples would also have an amazing, but different, experience at the Inn than I did with my sister and two small children, we never felt like we were disturbing anyone, and there were other families with small children there. It's rare to find a place where high-end romance and family travel really do meet in a way that is comfortable for everyone. The Mountain Top is this place!
We had an amazing time playing in the heart of the mountains. The four of us give Vermont's hidden gem, the Mountain Top Inn, eight thumbs up!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located centrally, just 11 miles from Killington, The Mountain Top is the quintessential Vermont Mountain Resort. Set, literally, at the top of a mountain on a private road, the resort rests on 350 acres with sweeping views of the surrounding Green Mountains and a 740 acre lake (with private beach). With a variety of winter, summer and year-round activities, the Mountain Top is the perfect 4-season escape. Accommodation types include rooms and suites in the main lodge, Cabins and guest houses (guest houses are available for short & long term stays). Other amenities include Dining Room & Tavern (outdoor seating in summer), heated pool with a view, hot tub, brand new full service spa and salon, yoga classes, fitness center, tennis court, hiking and mountain biking trails, canoeing, pontoon boat rides, horseback riding, xc-skiing, snow tubing, ice skating, events, conferences and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hotel.de and Booking.com so you can book your The Mountain Top Inn & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mountain Top Hotel Chittenden
- The Mountain Top Inn And Resort
- Mountain Top Hotel
- The Mountain Top Inn & Resort Vermont/Chittenden