“Fantastic Winter Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chittenden
Morristown, NJ
“Fantastic Winter Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2007

We stayed here the weekend before New Years and had a wonderful time.

The staff was outstanding and the food was just terrific.
Make sure you say hello to Jay when you walk in, he took greaty care of us and was extremely helpful.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2007

This place is a nice treat. It really feels like being in a mountain top home with all the rustic touches. The common areas are very nice and the rooms facing the back of the property are decorated beautifully and have the best view. I would definitely recommend these rooms over the rooms facing the front of the property (although I heard they will be renovated soon). However, try to avoid the Stags Run room. It's at the far end in the corner right above a driveway where the restaurant/tavern staff loaded tables late at night. It was very loud and kept us awake. If you're visiting on a weekend and are not attending a wedding there I think you might take a risk with the rooms facing the back of the property. They face the area where weddings take place and could be loud at night. The complimentary buffet breakfast was pretty good and the restaurant there is a good option for dinner if you don't want to leave the property. The new chalets on the property up the road are just gorgeous and very luxorious. We didn't stay there but got a tour and we were very impressed. If we did stay in one I would imagine we'd never leave. Overall, we had a nice stay and we'd go back - but next time in the summer. They have many outdoor activities to take advantage of, including their own private beach and horse back riding.

• Liked — great views, available activities
  • Disliked — noisy room
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leckaroo
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2007

Great place for winter activities. They have everything you want to do. Skiing, snowmobiling, dog sled rides, sleigh rides, ice skating, sledding, and more. Cozy fireplace in the lobby. Staff is very professional. Nice rooms. Great food. Looking at the brochure they also have great summer activities also. Worth checking into.

• Liked — The food
  • Disliked — parking lot - had to shovel out yourself
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank peppermintwoof
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2007

My wife and I had the good fortunate to stay at The Mountain Top Inn for a couple of nights this past week ( wk of 3/407). This was our first visit to this wonderful place. The experience was more that anyone can hope for in some many ways. Anyone looking for that little piece of heaven on earth has to make tracks to this place. This one will be very hard to beat.

It all started when I first spoke to Lindsey when I was making the reservation. Never having stayed at the inn, I wanted to get a nice room with a view. I was torn between a luxury suite, a chalet or one of the pet friendly cabins. Lindsey did a nice job describing the accommodations and ultimately I decided on the High Meadow Suite.

When we opened the door to the suite and saw the accommodations , than the view, we felt like we hit the lottery. Simply outstanding! Words cannot describe the experience. We left the hectic world behind and enjoyed the next few days in beautiful surroundings.

I also made dinner reservation for the two nights we stayed there. Since our stay coincided with the colds days of the year, we were glad we were dining at the Inn. My wife is a Vegan, so I called ahead to make sure they could accommodate her. Another home run! The staff went out of their way to make sure everything was just right. The dinners where awesome and the wines complemented the meals perfectly. Having the table next to the fireplace was just another way these folks go out of their way to make their guest feel special.

The services were great on every turn. Everyone one we met was friendly and they all tried to make our stay a pleasant one. Jeff, the assistant manager, (hope I got that right Jeff) turnout to be an excellent ambassador for the Inn. He spent time giving us a history of the Inn and we loved every minute of it.

Thanks to Steve, Diane, Sylvia, Jay, and Will the Chef, for making our stay memorable. Will was even kind enough to send us some receipts for a couple of the excellent culinary delights they prepared for us.

This is the place folks. If you are heading to VT, make this your first stop . You won’t regret it, and you won’t forget it for a very long time.

Best Wishes

John & Lynn

• Liked — room and the view
  • Disliked — leaving them !
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grizman
Northport, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2007

Our family spent a long weekend in Feb '07 at the Mountain Top Inn. The facilties were great for a family. The rooms were pleasant and the Lodge sitting rooms comfortable and spacious, so that many people could be in the same space without feeling like you intruded.

Cookies, coffee, tea and cocoa were available during the day and breakfast buffet was included.

The beautiful views and outside facilities made this hotel worth the price! Great sledding, X-country skiing, skating and snowshoeing at your door. Horse drawn sleighs and dog sleds were also available.

Pleasant staff!

• Liked — Lodge feel and view
  • Disliked — Expensive and limited food offerings
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank Ms5h
Marshfield, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2007

As a mother of two children under the age of three, I have not slept through the night in, quite literally, years. On occasion I am able to travel without my family, but end up sleeping lightly and waking frequently, even though I am on my own.

I had chalked frequent awakenings, with or without kids, up to habit... until my recent stay at the Mountain Top Inn. I slept for a deep eight hours... woke up... and dozed for another hour. It was so incredibly peaceful. My room was like a comfortable and beautiful cave with deep red tones and wooden log accents, right down to the bed frame; my king-sized bed, a nest.

As I tucked myself in under the genuine down comforter, snow fell lightly outside and the moon illuminated the expansive, quiet, sledding hill. No scratchy sheets or polyester bed covers, no boilers kicking in, no sounds from other guests, nothing from the plumbing, the HVAC, or the like. Mountain Top, you are wonderful!

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank Legalpig
Chester, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2007

OVERALL
My opinion is that this place is overpriced. My fioncee and I booked a special package deal for $199/Night that got us free breakfast and nothing else. We were upgraded from the lodge to a private cabin and the extra space was nice.....especially since a family with three unsupervised kids was staying at the lodge and letting them run free. We were annoyed that the staff allowed the kids to be unsupervised, jumping up and down on the couches in the main lodge, and making noise (again unsupervised) in the breakfast room in the morning. We had come to the lodge to relax, and the kids made this nearly impossible at times. The service was not at the level that we have received elsewhere, but in all fairness to the resort, we arrived on Christmas Day and I'm sure that they were short staffed. There were one or two staff members who seemed to be on the ball, and hustled a bit for us to ensure that we received exceptional service, however the other half of the staff did the minimum to prevent us from complaining. We especially liked the wait staff in the bar at lunch time, and in the restaurant at dinner. The formal dress code is not enforced and many guests, especially those under 21 wore jeans in the dining room. We would have preferred to have been more informal, but decided to follow the rules.

THE BAR
We felt that the turkey sandwich at the bar was outstanding, and enjoyed the Genesis Syrah which was offered by the glass for $10 per glass or by the bottle for $32 / Bottle. We actually loved the wine so much that we went home and purchased a case of it! Great Pick!

VALUE WHEN COMPARED TO OTHER OPTIONS IN THE AREA
We've stayed at several neighboring B&Bs, and didn't feel that we received a good value for the price paid at the Mountain Top. In the end, we paid approximately $400 for two nights, plus an additional $350 for food. We've stayed at near-by high-end B&Bs and received lodging, breakfast, dinner, and Killington ski-passes for less than $250 per day. Perhaps if we were able to use the hotel's activity center (there was snow on the ground) we would have felt differently about the value. If snow was on the ground, access to the resort's cross country ski trails would have been included.

COMPARED TO THE FOX CREEK (B&B Next Door)
Possibly it isn't fair to compare the Mountain Top Inn to the Fox Creek given the fact that one is a resort, and the other a B&B....but if lodging and food is all you are after, we recommend the Fox Creek. The food was above average at the Mountain Top, however I have to say that we felt that the folks at the Fox Creek Inn did a better job with dinner and provided superior value. We also liked the dinner ambiance at the Fox Creek better - more of a candle lit romantic setting vs. a more bright and family feeling at the Mountain top. The Mountain Top has more of a Ski Lodge / Retreat feel. Aesthetically, the Mountain Top Inn's lodge is more high-end and luxurious - yet the luxury has a bit of a forced feel which makes the lodge less cozy. The Big Screen TV is nice, and the gas fireplace is big and beautiful, and we were happy to have internet access.....but is this what you come to Vermont for????? The Fox Creek's lodge is more home like and cozy. At the Mountain Top inn, we had free coffee but had to ask for the self-service coffee station to be refilled. At the Fox Creek inn, the beverages were always stocked, and we were surprised with things like complimentary cheese plates, and hot cider. The inn keeper at the Fox Creek is friendly and experienced and very sincere when welcoming you to his B&B. The mountaintop Inn appeared to have more of a team approach to management that was less personal - it wasn't obvious to us who was in charge, and we didn't feel as appreciated and special as we have felt in other places. I should also point out that we stayed at both resorts at Christmas Time (Mountain Top in for 2006, and Fox Creek in 2005.)

I hope that you will find my review useful. If I were to go back to the Killington area again, I'd probably book a slope-side ski and stay package and use the restaurants at the resort. Another less high-end, yet fun and campy place to stay in the Killington area is the Lodge at Long Trail which also has meal plans.

• Liked — The wine selection, the seafood dishes
  • Disliked — Lack of personal touch, annoying unsupervised children
  • Tips/Secrets — Only book this resort when there is ample snow on the ground to enjoy the winter activities.
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TheSimpleTruth89
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chittenden
506 On The River Inn
Cascades Lodge Killington
#8 of 13 in Killington
Mendon Mountainview Lodge
Woodstock Inn and Resort

Been to The Mountain Top Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!