“Amazing”

Dining options: Reservations
America
“Amazing”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The service was awesome and the waitresses were extremely friendly! The food was great and it was pretty fun to eat there!

• Visited July 2014
mtntopinn195, General Manager at Highlands Dining Room, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience in The Highlands Dining Room at The Mountain Top Inn & Resort. We appreciate that you shared your positive comments with others. Please come back and dine with us again soon!
Khele T. Sparks

Rutland, Vermont
“Avoid”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were actually seated in the Tavern. We were a party of 6, it took one hour and 15 minutes for our plates to arrive. I had elk, which I ordered rare, received two small slices medium and one slice which was actually from another piece of meat, was more then well done! It looked like a leftover piece of some meat, not even sure it was elk, it tasted like a shoe sole, was dry and so overdone
the two other pieces were ok and tasty, but at $ 34 in a Tavern!!!!!
Same for the other plates, not very nicely plated, luke warm.
We were actually planning on having desert, asked for the menu, then waited and waited, and waited...
gave up, paid and left, never to return
Final judgement, unsightly plating, half cold food, worn out decor and furniture, and below mediocre food at a steep restaurant price, while sitting in a tavern on a wooden bench!!!
Shame on Mountain top Inn!

• Visited February 2014
5 Thank ingridH11
Burlington, Vermont
“Beautiful view... ok food”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We recently went to the Mountain Top Inn for a birthday party. The dining room had amazing views of the mountains and was very rustic/classy. The service was also pretty good even with the large group of people we had in our party. The drinks were average, though cocktails were a bit spendy . Good beer on tap, though I only saw a few options.

I had the French Dip sandwich. I had high hopes, the written description sounded very good. It was sub par at best. Lacked real flavor and the meat had the dryness and flavor of a steak-um. For $13 I expected MUCH better. My husband had the fish and chips and I believe that was $18 dollars... which to me is ridiculous for one filet of fish.. which was a decent size but not enough to make it worth it. It was battered well but the tarter sauce was essentially mayonnaise. I was disheartened by this... I definitely would have liked to try to more higher end dishes but obviously now I am a bit nervous to pay that much for what seems like a marked up tourist trap kind of restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank craf3650
cambridge
“Best of Vermont - life in the mountains”
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

Wonderful & magical surroundings! We found this place by accident. Hungry after kajaking on Chittenden Dam - wow what a find! So cute, yummy and fun. Great staff and really friendly. We will be back!!!

• Visited August 2013
Assisi, Italy
“Rude and unprofessional service”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Upon arrival we were asked to sit in the "game room" section of the dining area with a limited view of the lake despite the fact that 90% of the restaurant with a panoramic view was open. The hostess seemed very annoyed when we asked to change locations prior to being seated.

Enter our waitress who did not even welcome us or tell us her name. The passing waitress was chomping on gum.

I ordered a simple bottle of wine from 2009. When the waitress presented it to me it was 2011 and when I brought this to her attention she proudly told me that in fine print the years were subject to change. In other words, take it or leave it and no other suggestions or offer to bring the wine list back to the table.

The meal was uneventful from a food aspect and not once did our waitress replenish an empty wine glass. Finally, at the end of our meal the gum-chewing waitress filled my water glass that had been empty for over thirty minutes. Thank you!

I was the last to finish my meal but the unprofessional servers forgot dining etiquette and collected all of the 5 other dishes from my family. This is diner service at best! If the restaurant manager reads this review- Service 101: you should wait until all of the meals are finished before clearing the table. And clearing the table is a good subject to review with your staff as you should remove the bread, butter and lingering condiments from the main meal before serving dessert.

It is a pity that a restaurant with such a beautiful view serves mediocre food and has a dining room staff that belongs at a truck stop diner. I am rating the atmosphere as average due to the wait staff who made the evening close to unbearable.

• Visited July 2013