“Ok...”

Days Inn Colchester Burlington
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Colchester
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Looked for the more inexpensive place to stay for a weekend getaway to Burlington. Turns out it was the Days Inn. Thing is, I stayed here about a year ago and I remember that it was fine, cost about 60$ (which is about right for what we got...). However, I was not overly impressed with my latest visit for which we paid 90$+/night. We were brought to one of these "loft rooms". Booked a smoking room, preferred a non-smoking room but none were available - so I can't complain about the lingering smell of smoke. The concept and design was cool... But the room appears to be quite old and very worn, rough around the edges. There were cigarette burns in the sofa and chairs. This sofa, I refused to sit on. It had stains, the aforementioned cigarette burns and was so worn that it sunk in in the middle quite a bit . The dust around the ceiling fan and ceiling itself was disgusting. I mean how hard is it to pass a swiffer or something up there? (pictures to follow) The walls, pictures on the walls, and carpet were just so old, to the point where it looks a bit dirty, it's really time for an update. The bathroom was fine, nice and clean. The sheets were clean, butttt found some long black hairs between the bed spread and blanket. So it was clearly not washed, soooooo gross!! I refused to touch anything but the sheets! Something that I think would immensely help is just updating the bed.. making it more presentable, clean, etc instead of looking like a1970s old motel.

The complimentary continental breakfast that was really a nice bonus and good!! Also, the front desk staff were very nice and helpful. I don't know, I'm quite torn over the hotel. Ask to stay in the rooms with balconies maybe (there seems to be 2 different sides...?? Like the loft style side we stayed on had no balconies and seemed much more ghetto then the side with balconies).

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lovetotravel316
daysinncolchestervt, General Manager at Days Inn Colchester Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. We have loft style rooms which provide additional space and the inclusion of a microwave and fridge in addition to standard style hotel rooms some of which do have balconies. Although the lofts have been recently renovated and repainted, we are currently in the process of further updating our furnishings, drapery, bedspreads and televisions. All of these changes will be made within the next 12 months. I have addressed the housekeeping concerns and will ensure that the award winning quality we are known for is what you experience when you return in the future.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

This is just an average Days Inn hotel, pretty inexpensive with a good location, but the front desk staff strives to make your experience above average. They are very friendly and happily offered suggestions on where to eat and what to do during our stay in Burlington. We stayed here for three nights and actually spent a lot of time in the room itself, taking time to lounge around and relax, and we found the room to be clean and comfortable. The breakfast was completely satisfactory, we were happy to find fruit and yogurt in addition to the run-of-the-mill cereal/muffin continental breakfast menu. Unfortunately the pool is kind of a joke, it is situated so that anyone walking through the lobby will see you in your bathing suit and it is too small to enjoy if another family happens to be using it at the same time. Overall, we'd stay here again!

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate S

I appreciate you mentioning how wonderful and enjoyable your stay was. Truly my staff is outstanding and go above and beyond to make sure that you enjoy both your stay at the Days Inn - Colchester as well as in the Burlington area to the fullest extent. Thank you for your feedback regarding our breakfast we are glad to provide healthy options for all of our guests.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Our experience at Days Inn was fantastic. The day of our check in, the young lady at the front desk was extremely friendly and helpful. Our housekeeper, Donna, did a fantastic job every day. We will definitely be booking at this hotel again!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with others. It is clear that my front desk and housekeeping staff members exceeded your expectations. I certainly look forward to your return stay at the Days Inn - Colchester.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

I booked a non-smoking loft with a queen bed on a weekend in April 2012. The room did not smell of cigarette smoke, but portions of the hallway did. The best feature of the hotel for me was the small, heated indoor pool and the hotel's proximity to Burlington. My bed was comfortable. Among other furniture, the room came with a worn pull-out sofa-bed and desk-size table, plus a microwave, two TVs and coffee maker. There were a couple of things in minor states of disrepair, including my alarm clock's alarm function, to my surprise and inconvenience, but my room was clean. The worst feature of the hotel was the lack of noise insulation from other rooms and the hall. The sounds of neighbors' doors closing, and of neighbors using their bathroom ceiling vent fans and creaky loft stairways could be disruptive to sleep. The breakfast included make-your-own waffles, fruit, juice, coffee and processed cold continental breakfast fare, and was dead when I ate at 6:30 in the morning on a Sunday. There is a fitness room, but in nice weather, you could take a jog around St. Michael's or the large cemetery down the street.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
daysinncolchestervt, General Manager at Days Inn Colchester Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers. As our loft style rooms are spacious and provide our guests with a microwave and fridge and a separate sleeping area, I am glad to let you know that we have plans to purchase new sofas within the next 6 months. Over the past year we expanded our Day Break breakfast to include 3 types of cereal, 2 types of fresh fruit, muffins, toast, english muffins, make your own waffles, 2 types of juice, coffee, tea and yogurt.
We certainly look forward to your return and appreciate your feedback as it helps guide our renovation plans over 2012.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

I have read the other reviews on here, and think it's strange knowing that over half of the posts on here are from people with only 1 or 2 reviews. It must be this hotel making up for the fact that this hotel is rotten! No matter what the case might be- it is your fault if something is wrong, this hotel takes no excuses for anything being their own fault! Also- I'm well aware that this hotel will comment on this review saying that they are an Award Winning Hotel and everything was my own fault. But please, please, please do NOT stay here!!

We were on a family vacation- my husband, myself, and our three children. Exhausted from the ride home we decided to stay in Burlington, everything else was completely booked! (Now I know why!) I called first- the lady (who really was decent to me), told me that they only had a cancellation, put the hold on my card first- then took my name and other information! First time I've ever heard of that. Got there could tell it wasn't going to be a good place just by the outside. But whatever, we were exhausted and just needed a place to sleep, plus like I said I had already had the hold on my card. Checked in at approx. 9:20 (not exactly sure), the room was horrible, towel on the floor on the bathroom floor. Decided to stay anyway, took my kids to the pool. The dirty disgusting pool. Let them in and played for a little bit, I figured it must be safe because the overwhelming smell of chlorine. Then noticed the brown and black stains on the white stairs where the water level is, immediately got them out. Got back to the room- my husband had checked the bed sheets discovered that they were NOT clean. Got my kids dressed, and immediately checked-out. NEVER once did I ask for a refund. I was more than willing to lose the $100 I paid to stay here just to leave. I was offered to look at another room- honestly, by that point, what was the point? We were too discouraged and ready to go home. Again, please note I did NOT ask for my money back. People coming in with liquor bottles, drinking in the hallways. We travel the 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive home, sleep comfortably. I wake-up to call Days Inn (the 1-800 on the Days Inn website.) The lady had already received the issue from this hotel. Which stated I was "ineligible" for a refund. Ok, but don't you want to hear my complaint, I never asked for a refund? I then called the Manager this morning. Who explained how everything was my fault. She stated that it seemed "fishy" that I let my kids swim and then decided to leave the hotel. At check-out there were people still in the pool, so it was before 10:00pm. The manager informed me that I had taken a shower in the room. NO- I did NOT take a shower, but if you made sure that your rooms were clean you would have known this. I was also informed that I had smoked in the room. Yes, yes I did. It was a smoking room. I smoked on the balcony. But, because there were cigarette butts in the ashtray the room was non-rentable. Not because the room wasn't cleaned before we got it, but because I had smoked on the balcony. First off- I am entitled to leave a hotel when I choose. Secondly- I NEVER asked you for a refund, so just listen to my complaint, apologize and be over it. Don't explain to me how you reviewed the cameras to see exactly when I checked in and exactly when I checked out, and that you see "no one" in the hallway drinking or being loud. The customer is always right saying that you always hear of, they don't follow that policy. The customer is always wrong- the hotel is always perfect. I also read another reviewer say something similar. And you're right, this manager is far from a manager. Looking out for customers concerns should be your first priority- not trying to find fault in customers. I wish I would have read the bad reviews first. It's such a sad situation that this manager looked for reasons to not give me back my money- when I NEVER asked for it back to begin with.

I am so done with this hotel chain! It is killing me to honestly leave one star-if TripAdvisor didn't make me, I wouldn't. I've stayed at a few Days Inn, and nothing compares to this one. This shouldn't even have the Days Inn name in it. The other reviewer that posted about them not having a vacuum cleaner, I couldn't agree more! How sad is it, that I chose to lose my money and drive completely exhausted 2 1/2 - 3 hours just to not have to stay here? It's pathetic.

If my fellow reviewers take anything from this please just know that you can find better. Sleeping in your car honestly would be better than staying here, and less bugs too! Oh and- I read on here that people get a courtesy call within the first hour to make sure everything is fine. I never received that call, so I obviously wasn't here an hour- or again the manager is trying to make the customers look bad.

Room Tip: Go to a different chain in Burlington. NOT Colchester!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GardnerSK
daysinncolchestervt, General Manager at Days Inn Colchester Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

I apologize that you found your room to be unacceptable and that my staff was unable to have the opportunity to provide your family with a clean, comfortable room when you did bring your concerns to their attention. We are an Award Winning Days Inn and have been for over 18 years. The reviews on here are legitimate and are from our satisfied guests who took the time to share their enjoyable experience with others. I apologize that we failed to provide you with the service and quality that you deserve and expected. Please feel free to give us another chance as I can assure you that your next stay will be outstanding.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights while in Burlington visiting friends and can say that my room was clean and the service was beyond what I expected. The hotel sent a cab to the airport to pick me up and it did not cost me anything for the pick up. The room was also very affordable and well located by the airport and just a short drive to downtown Burlington. Check in and Check out was very fast and the girl cleaning rooms asked me when I would leave in the morning if I needed anything and if I wanted her to tidy my room - which I found to be nice.

I would stay here again if I visit Burlington.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road are quieter - my room was road facing but the road noise was low and was no...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
daysinncolchestervt, General Manager at Days Inn Colchester Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

It is our pleasure to provide clean, comfortable rooms and outstanding customer service all at a reasonable price. I sincerely look forward to your return visit and will ensure that your next stay will be as pleasurable as this one was. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others!

Reviewed 25 March 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights. My daughter was interviewed for Graduate college at the University of Vermont.
Melissa Coleman Assistant Manager was very helpful,and the the rest of the staff were great!
Hotel Very clean, nice room,continental breakfast was very good.
Were from Ohio I work in Customer Service, this is the place you want to stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
daysinncolchestervt, General Manager at Days Inn Colchester Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Thank you for recognizing the quality of customer service my Assistant Manager Melissa provides. She is a terrific example for her staff members and truly goes above and beyond to make sure everyone is happy while at the Days Inn - Colchester. I sincerely look forward to your return visit when in the Burlington area again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Colchester
Quality Inn Colchester / Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bur...
#9 of 12 in South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
Hampton Inn Burlington
Hampton Inn Burlington
#1 of 5 in Colchester

Been to Days Inn Colchester Burlington? Share your experiences!