“Row row row your boat”

Craftsbury Sports Center
More attraction details
Owner description: A sports center that offers one-week and weekend adult camps for a variety of outdoor sports: skiing, running, and sculling for example.
Boston, Massachusetts
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Row row row your boat”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

My son and I went to rowing camp. Troy who runs the center joked that the coaching is great the the food is better. The coaching is as good as the food - perfect. In a nano second the coaches connected with each participant and focused each individual's goals. (everyone is at a vastly different skill level and is there to work on different skills.). The rowing camp was about each persons own experience and as a newbie to sculling I felt as much a part of the scene as the tall jacked guy that rowed from MIT. The food was fresh and inventive. The dressings, jams and cookies were wildly good. You sit on a deck overlooking the water eating with others in the program. Conversations were fascinating. We had olympians and world class athletes at our table. THe campers and staff formed an instant community. My story from the weekend is that there were two guys that are 80 in the program. 80 year old phenomenal athletes!!! They were roommates in college in the 50s! My son and I sat down with them and I asked them for the magical secret to staying athletic in your 80s. I was waiting for an answer like eat 7 rum soaked raisins at breakfast, do yoga, sleep 8 hours a day, eat chia seeds. The current world champ erg-ersaid "genetics". Oh well.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Wendy T

Saratoga Springs, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing cross country skiing”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My Spouse and I wanted to experience the skiing in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. We were not disappointed. Craftsbury has great trails that are well groomed for skating and traditional. The staff is very nice too at the ski shop. We stayed two nights in Cedar Lodge, the rooms are sparse but very clean and comfortable. We shared a bath but it wasn't busy at all. The food at Craftsbury is Amazing! After a great day on the trails we came into lunch to soups, salad and great breads. Dinner and breakfast are great too. A very nice weekend for us.

Visited February 2014
Burlington, VT
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Peak Experience of Vermont Winter”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Craftsbury Outdoor Center in northern Vermont Is top of the line for xc xkiers in winter (scullers in summer). Trails wind through woods and fields and are meticulously maintained. They both harvest snow from fields and make snow to fill in rough spots from the inevitable January thaw. Stay overnight in one of the lodges and enjoy locally sourced very hearty meals. I had a wonderful weekend with 30 skiers from Burlington area. Only knew a few when I signed up, but made new friends while skiing, at the destination cabin with free hot chocolate, in the common room over shared wine, and around the meal table. OH, also in the sauna.

Visited January 2013
Big Bear Lake, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Great family experience!”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

We've been going there every summer for the past 3 years, where my daughter attends sculling camp. It's a great experience for her, and you will not lack for the most amazing instruction ever! My husband and I stay as "guests of the sculler." We go for the cabin upgrade, which is really worth the extra fee. We enjoy canoeing around the lake, watching the wildlife (and the sculling participants). We can't wait for mealtime, though! The food is absolutely amazing! It's mostly organic, farm-fresh and a real treat! They have a great fitness center, a yoga faciliy, as well as lots of walking/running trails. My daughter has made some wonderful friends there. We're planning to go back this summer.

Visited June 2012
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Real Vermont”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Real Vermont experience. Great soulful countryside and a true cross country skiing adventure for novice and expert alike.

Visited February 2012