See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 November 2011

The only reason I checked off 4 and not 5 circles above is because the Silas Griffith Inn, is still a work in Progress. Catherine and Brian have done a lot and are still working to improve the Inn. It is NOT due to any issues that I had while there. I cannot wait to see the Inn after they complete restorations and I KNOW that it will then get a 5 our of 5 on there.

Although I went to the Inn because of the Haunted Orchard that was supposed to be held, I was very disappointed that it was canceled the first night due to snow. Catherine made up for that by letting my mentally challenged daughter tour TWICE the next night. Although the towels did not match in the bathroom as one other comment here mentioned, they were thick and comfortable and still color coordinated. (Does a towel color really matter as long as they are clean and comfy?). My pillows on my bed could have used some plumping but I just took my daughter's since she only uses one. The room was clean and the water pressure in the shower was great, although it took a bit of figuring out to get it to a comfortable temperature. There was WiFi which was great although in keeping with the old fashioned styling, there was a dresser, but not a desk so hard to use my computer at that. BUT, the entire point of going away, is to BE away. I would definitely stay there again, but not in the colder weather. It is an old building, so of course I would expect a little bit more chill in the room than I would at the Hilton Garden Inn. I like the home style comfort. Oh, and the Omelet was DELICIOUS and my daughter is STILL talking about the pancakes she had which I do not like pancakes, but these were great. My daughter was also offered MORE pancakes when she gobbled them up. Another comment stated breakfast was skimpy, although ours was not and I did not get the impression that different customers were given different amounts of food. The couple that own the Inn recently purchased the Inn and are in the process of restoring it. That takes time to do, so yea, things were not perfect from some points of view, but looking at it from the point of what they are doing, I give them KUDOS!

Room Tip: We spent two nights in Edna's room which has a balcony right off of it. It has two twin beds in it. There is also a guest book in the room which I sat the first night reading and do not recall reading anything negative about it. I will try it during a spring or EARLY fall day. Not the end of October.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank CoconutGirl1961
Reviewed 19 November 2011

This place is gross and filthy! Our room was dirty and dusty. There were cob webs on the mantel and all the brick-a-brack. The dust was a half inch think! The whole time we were here, there was a dixie cup behind our night stand. Our room was never vacuumed. The bedding and sheets were stained, smelly, and dirty. The pillows are old and flat! Bring your own! There was so much mold on our shower curtain my allergies could not handle it. Bring your own soap and shampoo toiletries. Our bathroom had dispensers for the shower and by the sink, but they were empty. The breakfast was cheap with small portions and microwaved sausages. The old woman serving our juice in the morning never washed her hands and carried our juice to our table with her fingers wrapped round the top of the glass. Waitress 101 never allows for you to touch the top of your customers drinking glasses. The dinning room was so dirty I shuddered to think what the kitchen looked like. The restrooms off the dinning room were the worst I have ever seen. I would have much rather of gone to the local gas station and used the restroom. They were THAT disgusting!! The inn keeper was friendly, however, she hovers at your table and never lets you eat in peace. This inn is in need of much renovation. The common rooms are dirty and cluttered with dead plants every where. The morning we left we had to walk through 8 inches of snow to our vehicle because no one shoved or plowed and it was 10:00am! The brochure advertises cable TV in the rooms, which there was not. The brochure's pictures are VERY old! The place does NOT look like this now!! This could be a charming inn and I am sure it could be again with some TLC and plain old soap and water! Clean the place up!! The cracks in the walls and ceilings and peeling wall paper is unacceptable for an inn at $140 a night! Our room was cold and drafty. The gas fire place insert thermostat had a wood screw in it so that we could not turn up the heat. We froze!!! I will never go back and I can never recommend this inn to anyone! It's dirty inside and out! The food is simple and nasty. The price is HIGH! I would have much rather of stayed at a Super 8!!!! Next time we will! At least it will be clean!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank frasier7
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Kathy and Brian, the proprietors of Silas Griffith Inn go out of their way to assist where they can. I chose the location because friends were camping at the nearby Emerald Lake facility - and I am not big on sleeping on the floor so chose this B&B 5-6 miles away. We also had my friend's elderly mother who has some mobility issues and cannot do steps - and Kathy obliged by assigning a room that while on the second floor, had a back door to a deck that was on the ground level so the steps could be avoided. Kathy helped me assist my friend's mother in and out of the car, too. We had help with our luggage as well.

Other reviews regarding some updates being needed are true, but the owners are very nice and my room was clean - newer bed, clean sheets, clean bathroom. I was in the other building and did not see the rooms in the House, but did see two where I was - similar in that the walls have floral/country motif, gas fireplaces in each room (for heat, does not really flame much), dresser and chair. The pillows were not that great, but if you are driving here you can bring your own. The gas fireplace keeps the room very warm. My friend's room had a canopy bed. The bathrooms are older with fiberglass shower inserts (I think one room has a tub), but there was plenty of hot water. The pressure is not a lot, but it was enough to get the job done. My only complaint is that you can hear water running in the pipes and toilets flushing - but that is due to the age of the building and not the owner's fault. Bring your own soap and shampoo toiletries - my bathroom had a dispenser for same in the shower and by the sink, but it was empty.

The cable was not working, but my room had a DVD player, and Kathy offered a large selection of DVD's to use that was fun. As others have mentioned, the Inn in the House is filled with stuff - interesting to look at almost in a museum kind of way. There's one room at the 3rd floor top of the other building that was directly over my room, and thankfully I needed to awaken early because you can hear every footstep from above.

The Inn is in two parts: the old house, and a large building next to it where the Emma's Restaurant is located. We were given a sheet of menu choices for breakfast - as others have mentioned there are pancakes, but also egg choices like a tasty omlet with choice of fillings and cheese, and scrambled. It is true they all came with little sausages with no other meat choice. Toast is either white or wheat only. We were served at the table by Kathy's Mom, who was pleasant. Kathy herself often had conversations with the guests and was very nice. The coffee was excellent.

The Inn has a funky homey family feel, and the proprietors welcome guests with dogs. A surprising feature for a B&B was a large pool - but it was shut down for the winter season so cannot comment. There's a nice cupola with a hot tub, but Hurricane Irene damaged the structure so the tub was shut down as well.

Special note for folks using GPS - my GPS shut down in the middle of an intersection a few hundred yards away from the Inn saying "you have arrived". This is apparently a common GPS issue. The clue to finding the place in the dark is to arrive at the "T" from either Depot street or Mt Tabor - and turn left up South Main up the hill - which will curve to the right and the Inn is at the top of the hill on the right. When I visited it was in the process of being decorated for Halloween and a special haunted graveyard they open up the two weeks before Halloween.

Overall, the Inn had a very safe, warm feel and I was treated very well. I would stay there again as it is in a good location - close to Bromley and Manchester Center. It's not for folks that need matching towels or luxury.

Room Tip: If you are ok with steep steps, the room at the top of the second building on the 3rd floor has no noise from above and a deck.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Whizzzy
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The innkeepers were very friendly and helpful, but the inn was unbelievably run down and dirty. The inn is need of a serious renovation. The stairs did not look safe and there was bird poop and paint chips on the deck (which easily could have been swept off). Our room smelled musty and was not clean. The bathroom was clearly not cleaned well. The property was nice, but infested with weeds and overgrown grass. There were dead plants on the deck. The common areas were filled with clutter and not clean. Usually I'm not that picky, but when staying at an inn I assume it will be clean.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank kbtraveler1
Reviewed 30 June 2011

The Silas Griffith Inn in Danby, VT has a story to tell. Kathy & Brian Preble, innkeepers for the past six years, are quite knowledgeable about Silas Griffith and his house which has become a 10 room inn and 35 seat restaurant. We enjoyed hearing the historical facts about Mr. Griffith, who was a true entrepreneur in Danby (and influencial with the town and with the ladies) and he built a most interesting property, complete with tin ceilings, Italian tiled fireplaces and a unique round pocket door, the 2nd largest in the country (reminded me of a hobbit house door!) My daughter and I stayed in Edna's Room which was a quaint room with two twin beds and opened up onto a wrap-around deck complete with rose bushes and black raspberry bushes. This kid-friendly inn (kids of all ages) has a large common room with TVs, books, board games and would be a haven for "gamers" complete with Xbox and more! The inn has a hot tub and pool, though we were not there long enough to enjoy them. For those who can't "disconnect" the wi-fi available at the inn was super fast! We will look forward to returning to the Silas Griffith Inn to see of the ongoing restoration and renovation being planned in the next few years.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family