“More of a boarding house than an inn”
Review of Silas Griffith Inn

Silas Griffith Inn
and 1 more site!
Silas Griffith Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Danby B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 January 2013

My husband and I stayed over the holiday weekend hoping to enjoy peaceful Vermont and some snowshoeing. Sadly, we couldn't sleep because the neighbor to our room in the guest house kept their television blaring all night and yelled at each other over the noise. We later learned that these were not guests, but boarders who had been living there since November. We learned that they pretty much never left their room....I have to wonder if they were paying the same rates that we were? The inn keepers made no apologies to their paying guests about this and simply stated that THEY had learned their lesson......well, I guess we did as well. I wouldn't visit the Silas Griffith again for a variety of reasons, but the boarder tenants made our visit pretty terrible. Thank goodness is snowed like crazy, making the snowshoeing more than exceptional.

Room Tip: Our room in 'Emma's' guest house smelled like stale cigarettes. The main house smelled l...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
CatherinePreble, Owner at Silas Griffith Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

I'm really sorry the guests in the room beside you disturbed your stay. When you told me of the incident the second morning at breakfast I apologized and offered to change your room. We had one room available in the Manor House that weekend.

Once I was aware of the problem, which your husband downplayed, the noisy guests were asked to leave and did leave, so your third night was quiet. Thank you for telling me you slept much better the third night.

I wish you had called me that first night when the issue started. Our direct number to our bedroom is on all room phones. When you visit other B&B's, please call the Innkeepers as soon as a problem happens.

As to the rates, both you and the other room were taking advantage of our multi-night stay packages and had discounted rates.

Again, I apologize for your experience and I wish you would give us another chance. I know you are interested in becoming an Innkeeper, and wish you well in your endeavor to find the perfect Inn and perfect guests.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We decided to book our trip last minute to catch some of the snow that was in the forecast.
The Inn was a cute antique house. The owner was very nice and incredibly knowledgeable about the area. She loves Vermont and was very helpful to us since we are not from the area. We quickly made friends with the house cat who was asleep by the desk. We just felt so welcome. Whether we wanted to borrow a movie from the house, or in need of wine glasses, they were so happy to help.
We stayed in Lily's Room. It had a fireplace which was perfect after a few long days of snowboarding!
There are a few mountains local to the Inn. We checked out Okemo and Stratton during our stay. The Manchester shopping areas were also a short drive away (a lot of nice restaurants down that way!).
Breakfast was good. Very good. They were very proud to be able to use a lot of local ingredients. We looked forward to it each morning.
It was a warm cozy spot and we would definitely stay again. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank studio_stinny

Thank you so much for your review. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 23 July 2012

Suffice it to say, I read reviews prior to going to this Inn but gave it the benefit of the doubt. Hosts very nice but the place was just as disappointing as previous reviews have indicated...maybe even worse....wouldn't take much to make the place presentable for the public, sweeping the decks, mowing the lawns, picking up the busted hot tub and covering up the un-swimable pool. This Inn could very well be in the stages of restoration, however, it has been quite some time since anything has been done of late, including washing a window or sweeping a stair not to mention the ashtray filled with nasty old cig butts on the deck....a very disappointing experience, but we chalked it up to the internet and living and learning. Would have never stayed had we not already paid....

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and give them time to "renovate" as they say....then give it a go. Hos...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank k w
Reviewed 28 June 2012

The Silas Griffith inn is wonderful, its such a charming place. Yes its being restored. These things take time, especially considering the inn is well over 100 yrs old. Cathy the inn keeper makes everyone feel like they are part of the family. The inn has gorgeous views of the countryside, what a peaceful place. It's perfectly located near many attractions, shopping and ski resorts.

The food at Emma's restaurant is really good and you definitely don't leave hungry! The pancakes are really great.

There were lots of period and non period collections around the inn, but these are things that make it unique. Our room was clean, the soap/shampoo dispensers were full (but seriously who doesn't bring their own anyway?? For those who complained) The bed was comfortable. Would I would go back to the inn???? Oh, absolutely!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank lovetogo1214
Reviewed 26 November 2011

The only reason I checked off 4 and not 5 circles above is because the Silas Griffith Inn, is still a work in Progress. Catherine and Brian have done a lot and are still working to improve the Inn. It is NOT due to any issues that I had while there. I cannot wait to see the Inn after they complete restorations and I KNOW that it will then get a 5 our of 5 on there.

Although I went to the Inn because of the Haunted Orchard that was supposed to be held, I was very disappointed that it was canceled the first night due to snow. Catherine made up for that by letting my mentally challenged daughter tour TWICE the next night. Although the towels did not match in the bathroom as one other comment here mentioned, they were thick and comfortable and still color coordinated. (Does a towel color really matter as long as they are clean and comfy?). My pillows on my bed could have used some plumping but I just took my daughter's since she only uses one. The room was clean and the water pressure in the shower was great, although it took a bit of figuring out to get it to a comfortable temperature. There was WiFi which was great although in keeping with the old fashioned styling, there was a dresser, but not a desk so hard to use my computer at that. BUT, the entire point of going away, is to BE away. I would definitely stay there again, but not in the colder weather. It is an old building, so of course I would expect a little bit more chill in the room than I would at the Hilton Garden Inn. I like the home style comfort. Oh, and the Omelet was DELICIOUS and my daughter is STILL talking about the pancakes she had which I do not like pancakes, but these were great. My daughter was also offered MORE pancakes when she gobbled them up. Another comment stated breakfast was skimpy, although ours was not and I did not get the impression that different customers were given different amounts of food. The couple that own the Inn recently purchased the Inn and are in the process of restoring it. That takes time to do, so yea, things were not perfect from some points of view, but looking at it from the point of what they are doing, I give them KUDOS!

Room Tip: We spent two nights in Edna's room which has a balcony right off of it. It has two twin beds in...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank CoconutGirl1961
Reviewed 19 November 2011

This place is gross and filthy! Our room was dirty and dusty. There were cob webs on the mantel and all the brick-a-brack. The dust was a half inch think! The whole time we were here, there was a dixie cup behind our night stand. Our room was never vacuumed. The bedding and sheets were stained, smelly, and dirty. The pillows are old and flat! Bring your own! There was so much mold on our shower curtain my allergies could not handle it. Bring your own soap and shampoo toiletries. Our bathroom had dispensers for the shower and by the sink, but they were empty. The breakfast was cheap with small portions and microwaved sausages. The old woman serving our juice in the morning never washed her hands and carried our juice to our table with her fingers wrapped round the top of the glass. Waitress 101 never allows for you to touch the top of your customers drinking glasses. The dinning room was so dirty I shuddered to think what the kitchen looked like. The restrooms off the dinning room were the worst I have ever seen. I would have much rather of gone to the local gas station and used the restroom. They were THAT disgusting!! The inn keeper was friendly, however, she hovers at your table and never lets you eat in peace. This inn is in need of much renovation. The common rooms are dirty and cluttered with dead plants every where. The morning we left we had to walk through 8 inches of snow to our vehicle because no one shoved or plowed and it was 10:00am! The brochure advertises cable TV in the rooms, which there was not. The brochure's pictures are VERY old! The place does NOT look like this now!! This could be a charming inn and I am sure it could be again with some TLC and plain old soap and water! Clean the place up!! The cracks in the walls and ceilings and peeling wall paper is unacceptable for an inn at $140 a night! Our room was cold and drafty. The gas fire place insert thermostat had a wood screw in it so that we could not turn up the heat. We froze!!! I will never go back and I can never recommend this inn to anyone! It's dirty inside and out! The food is simple and nasty. The price is HIGH! I would have much rather of stayed at a Super 8!!!! Next time we will! At least it will be clean!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank frasier7
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Kathy and Brian, the proprietors of Silas Griffith Inn go out of their way to assist where they can. I chose the location because friends were camping at the nearby Emerald Lake facility - and I am not big on sleeping on the floor so chose this B&B 5-6 miles away. We also had my friend's elderly mother who has some mobility issues and cannot do steps - and Kathy obliged by assigning a room that while on the second floor, had a back door to a deck that was on the ground level so the steps could be avoided. Kathy helped me assist my friend's mother in and out of the car, too. We had help with our luggage as well.

Other reviews regarding some updates being needed are true, but the owners are very nice and my room was clean - newer bed, clean sheets, clean bathroom. I was in the other building and did not see the rooms in the House, but did see two where I was - similar in that the walls have floral/country motif, gas fireplaces in each room (for heat, does not really flame much), dresser and chair. The pillows were not that great, but if you are driving here you can bring your own. The gas fireplace keeps the room very warm. My friend's room had a canopy bed. The bathrooms are older with fiberglass shower inserts (I think one room has a tub), but there was plenty of hot water. The pressure is not a lot, but it was enough to get the job done. My only complaint is that you can hear water running in the pipes and toilets flushing - but that is due to the age of the building and not the owner's fault. Bring your own soap and shampoo toiletries - my bathroom had a dispenser for same in the shower and by the sink, but it was empty.

The cable was not working, but my room had a DVD player, and Kathy offered a large selection of DVD's to use that was fun. As others have mentioned, the Inn in the House is filled with stuff - interesting to look at almost in a museum kind of way. There's one room at the 3rd floor top of the other building that was directly over my room, and thankfully I needed to awaken early because you can hear every footstep from above.

The Inn is in two parts: the old house, and a large building next to it where the Emma's Restaurant is located. We were given a sheet of menu choices for breakfast - as others have mentioned there are pancakes, but also egg choices like a tasty omlet with choice of fillings and cheese, and scrambled. It is true they all came with little sausages with no other meat choice. Toast is either white or wheat only. We were served at the table by Kathy's Mom, who was pleasant. Kathy herself often had conversations with the guests and was very nice. The coffee was excellent.

The Inn has a funky homey family feel, and the proprietors welcome guests with dogs. A surprising feature for a B&B was a large pool - but it was shut down for the winter season so cannot comment. There's a nice cupola with a hot tub, but Hurricane Irene damaged the structure so the tub was shut down as well.

Special note for folks using GPS - my GPS shut down in the middle of an intersection a few hundred yards away from the Inn saying "you have arrived". This is apparently a common GPS issue. The clue to finding the place in the dark is to arrive at the "T" from either Depot street or Mt Tabor - and turn left up South Main up the hill - which will curve to the right and the Inn is at the top of the hill on the right. When I visited it was in the process of being decorated for Halloween and a special haunted graveyard they open up the two weeks before Halloween.

Overall, the Inn had a very safe, warm feel and I was treated very well. I would stay there again as it is in a good location - close to Bromley and Manchester Center. It's not for folks that need matching towels or luxury.

Room Tip: If you are ok with steep steps, the room at the top of the second building on the 3rd floor has no n...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Whizzzy

Been to Silas Griffith Inn? Share your experiences!