See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I just spent a 3 day getaway at the Silas Griffith Inn. We brought our little pitbull mix with us and she had the best time. The inn has a large spacious lawn that our pup was able to run around on and there is a very cool field where we played frisbee with her. As a dog owner, it can be difficult to find a good spot to travel with your buddy, and Silas Griffith was perfect. Cathy, the owner, was warm and welcoming. Breakfast is offered daily but unfortunately because we are NYC vampires, we never actually made it in time. There were chickens living in trees on the ground, so I am sure scrambled eggs would have been amazing. Next time I will try to get up before noon :P

This inn is in a quiet area pretty near Manchester and was perfect for someone traveling with their canine friend. I'm definitely excited to see the restoration progress the next time we visit. The Silas Griffith has a lot of Vermont charm. Though we didn't have the opportunity to avail ourselves of the common area, if we had stayed longer I am sure you would have found me playing video games at 2 am. The view from our second floor terrace was an amazing scene of the Green Mountains. I could have sat out there all night looking at the stars. Above all, the staff was welcoming and helpful in every way. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank TheShark369
CatherinePreble, Owner at Silas Griffith Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We're glad you enjoyed you both and you dog enjoyed your stay with us. We love animals, and also know from experience how difficult it is to find someplace that truly accepts pets. I'm so glad you enjoyed playing in the field.

Thank you, again, and we really appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 25 August 2013

When I googled a place to stay near Pawlet, VT, the Silas Griffith Inn popped up. I called Cathy to make a reservation. Since it was only me, she knocked $10 off the nightly rate without even asking for it. She asked me what brings me to Danby and I told her I was on a genealogy trek across New England. She proceeded to get in touch with the local genealogist and the county clerk in Pawlet to expedited my research once I arrived. She had all the contact info when I made it to Danby. The local genealogist walked over to the Inn to meet with me the first night. When I visited the town hall in Pawlet the next day, Debbie greeted me and even knew the ancestor I was researching.

I had a wonderful stay at the Inn. Now if you want the Waldorf Astoria, this isn't the place to stay. It is old and the owners are working hard to restore it. It does need work. There is a half-mile walking path on the grounds that I utilized along with walking through historic Danby. The hills and scenery are worth the price of admission. Cathy fixed a fabulous breakfast the next morning and since I was traveling alone, she even sat and chatted with me, ensuring I had plenty of coffee. If I ever make the trip to VT again, I will defiantly stay at the Silas Griffith Inn.

Room Tip: I recommend the Georgia Room. It has a balcony that overlooks a fabulous 3400 foot mountain.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Mark F
CatherinePreble, Owner at Silas Griffith Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you so much for your review. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for commenting on our hard work restoring this place. Our goal is to bring it back to its former glory, and that takes time. But we will never be the Waldorf Astoria, and I am glad you pointed that out. We are a small, friendly, homey Bed and Breakfast.

I'm glad you enjoyed the walking paths. After Foliage we're going to be expanding the paths so we have a full mile of interlocking paths throughout the meadows passing the various berry patches, apple trees, and bird nests.

Thank you for staying with us, and good luck with the genealogy!

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I know how hard it is to keep up an old home but I don't run an inn. My husband and I stayed here 20 years ago. The place was clean and renovated. I returned with my son so he could go skiing in December of 2012. As I am catching up on my reviews I have to say the inn keepers are very nice but our room was not very clean, there was no cable, and there is clutter everywhere. In some areas it was piled high and covered in dust. This inn needs to close down, fix up, clean up, and restart. I was sad after my last visit to see this historical home be such a mess.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else to stay.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Barbara C
CatherinePreble, Owner at Silas Griffith Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. I am glad you enjoyed staying with us, and appreciate the feedback.

Cable TV is available in the parlor. We do not have cable in the rooms, but are signed-up to get fiberoptic service to the rooms as soon as it is available. For entertainment for you and your family, we also have board games and video games available both in the restaurant and in the Great Room.

We purchased the Inn from the bank in December of 2005. The Inn was closed had fallen into disrepair. As noted in other reviews, we are restoring it, not just renovating it. This takes time. To properly restore the buildings requires having wood custom cut to match the existing wood trims and carved to match the chair rails and other sections.

20 years ago, the Inn was under new ownership. There have been 2 other owners since then, and none of them worked on overall maintenance of the Inn, just bandaging areas while neglecting the underlying issues. These bandages, which included using the wrong materials for the repairs, have resulted in more damage. We are restoring the Inn and trying to save the structure and the charm. Hopefully soon, the job will be complete. We hope you will give us another chance once the full restoration is complete.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

My husband and I stayed over the holiday weekend hoping to enjoy peaceful Vermont and some snowshoeing. Sadly, we couldn't sleep because the neighbor to our room in the guest house kept their television blaring all night and yelled at each other over the noise. We later learned that these were not guests, but boarders who had been living there since November. We learned that they pretty much never left their room....I have to wonder if they were paying the same rates that we were? The inn keepers made no apologies to their paying guests about this and simply stated that THEY had learned their lesson......well, I guess we did as well. I wouldn't visit the Silas Griffith again for a variety of reasons, but the boarder tenants made our visit pretty terrible. Thank goodness is snowed like crazy, making the snowshoeing more than exceptional.

Room Tip: Our room in 'Emma's' guest house smelled like stale cigarettes. The main house smelled like wet dog, so I guess...take your pick.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
CatherinePreble, Owner at Silas Griffith Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

I'm really sorry the guests in the room beside you disturbed your stay. When you told me of the incident the second morning at breakfast I apologized and offered to change your room. We had one room available in the Manor House that weekend.

Once I was aware of the problem, which your husband downplayed, the noisy guests were asked to leave and did leave, so your third night was quiet. Thank you for telling me you slept much better the third night.

I wish you had called me that first night when the issue started. Our direct number to our bedroom is on all room phones. When you visit other B&B's, please call the Innkeepers as soon as a problem happens.

As to the rates, both you and the other room were taking advantage of our multi-night stay packages and had discounted rates.

Again, I apologize for your experience and I wish you would give us another chance. I know you are interested in becoming an Innkeeper, and wish you well in your endeavor to find the perfect Inn and perfect guests.

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We decided to book our trip last minute to catch some of the snow that was in the forecast.
The Inn was a cute antique house. The owner was very nice and incredibly knowledgeable about the area. She loves Vermont and was very helpful to us since we are not from the area. We quickly made friends with the house cat who was asleep by the desk. We just felt so welcome. Whether we wanted to borrow a movie from the house, or in need of wine glasses, they were so happy to help.
We stayed in Lily's Room. It had a fireplace which was perfect after a few long days of snowboarding!
There are a few mountains local to the Inn. We checked out Okemo and Stratton during our stay. The Manchester shopping areas were also a short drive away (a lot of nice restaurants down that way!).
Breakfast was good. Very good. They were very proud to be able to use a lot of local ingredients. We looked forward to it each morning.
It was a warm cozy spot and we would definitely stay again. Thanks for everything!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank studio_stinny

Thank you so much for your review. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you back soon!