“Dog friendly but that's about it” 2 of 5 bubbles

Silas Griffith Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Danby B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Hampshire
“Dog friendly but that's about it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed two nights at the Silas Griffith Inn in order to spend a few days hiking with our dog in the Manchester VT area. The innkeeper was a friendly, cheerful woman who clearly loved dogs. She made us feel very welcome and was helpful with advice about where we could swim with pup and what restaurants had outdoor seating where dogs are allowed. There were no requirements that dogs not be left alone in the room or be crated and if we wanted she would have walked our dog while we were out. Our room and bathroom, in the back building over the restaurant, were a bit tired looking but clean enough and the bed was very comfortable. The outside stairs and landing leading to the backyard were sturdy. The room was stuffy but we kept the fan running on the air conditioning unit and the door to the outside open to bring fresh air in. The rest of the building had a musty, airless feel, like it needed a good cleaning and open windows. The common area with fridge and microwave was cluttered and uninviting. The breakfast area, Emma’s Restaurant, was also cluttered, airless and musty. I suspect that the huge amount of stuffed animals in the fireplace contributed to the mustiness, and according to a previous post they’ve been there since at least 2008. The TV in the breakfast room was blaring – soap opera the first morning, an even louder televangelist the second. The innkeeper’s mother, who was serving, protested when I asked her to turn down the volume on the preaching so I could carry on a conversation. She then asked the couple at the next table if they wanted her to turn up the volume and face it toward them so they could watch the televangelist – they declined. The food was average. The outside of the inn is in disrepair and there is a sign noting that it is undergoing renovation. While I completely understand the astronomical cost and time associated with renovating such a large and historical structure, areas that could cheaply and easily be maintained or removed were neglected – tall weeds choking the flower beds, a broken down hot tub/deck area and caved-in swimming pool (see review from July 2012!), hoses, tires and other detritus visible. A major eyesore was an extremely dilapidated cottage with appliances, an overflowing garbage can and other junk piled up on its porch. An air conditioner in a window and children’s toys in the yard made me think someone was actually living in there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank applecrispNH
CatherinePreble, Owner at Silas Griffith Inn, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Inn. I'm glad you felt welcomed and comfortable on your weekend away from your kids. I'm glad Fiona enjoyed her stay as well and hope you all enjoyed our many pet-friendly restaurants in the area.

Yes, we are renovating. Yes, it takes time. We are removing the hottub which this year's intense winter shattered. We do not do construction or painting when there are guests on the premises, as we try and provide a restful and quiet place for our guests. Likewise, many people are sensitive to paint fumes and harsh chemical odors. (Regarding the review from July 2012, the hottub was open, and fully functioning all that summer,as was the pool, and was used all July and August of 2012 by guests. I do remember a complaint by a customer in 2012 about leaves in the pool, but it was an outdoor pool under trees.)

The pool is not caved in at all. It is drained. We are in the process of converting it to a goldfish pond and awaiting the dirt to fill it. You saw the fish in tanks in the restaurant awaiting their completed home. The filling and landscaping of the goldfish pond area will result in having to replant all the gardens by the back deck.

I will speak with my mother about the TV volume.

There are stuffed animals, which are cleaned regularly. They are there for the many children we have as guests, and are often borrowed when a young one forgets his or her favorite toys at home. Several of the bears have climbed Mt. Equinox, visited the Vermont Summer Festival, and even gone skiing. We are child-friendly, as well as dog friendly, although we do request that children not be left alone.

The cottage is a private residence, and the residents are in the process of moving. I will send them a copy of your review and work with them to clean their yard.

Again, thank you for taking the time to bring these items to our attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
North Easton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

The inn is in disrepair (don't believe signs about historic renovations). Basic upkeep tasks are ignored and even arriving after dark the discarded bikes, tools and assorted trash was evident in the bushes and around the buildings. Don't waste your money.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank DHatchMatt

Travellers are raving about these Danby hotels

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Found it from a friend. Inn is in process of restoration which takes considerable time. Kathy prepares your breakfast from a limited menu but all excellent. If you take the time to allow Kathy to tell you the history if the Inn, you will be amazed. Rooms in an adjacent historical building with a relatively steep stairway but that was how they were built in the 1800's Gas fireplace in each room to take off the chill. Excellent internet connection. First floor of house restored and is beautiful with a large rounded pocket door which is beyond belief. Well worth the effort to find it.

Room Tip: All rooms have access to open balcony which is great to sit and watch the sunset.
Green Features: All restoration is attempted with materials to match original construction. Certified "Green Friendly".
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CatherinePreble, Owner at Silas Griffith Inn, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! We really appreciate it.

Thanks for mentioning the Round Pocket door. It really is a unique piece of architectural history. Supposedly it is the largest round pocket door in Vermont, and the 2nd largest in the country.

We really enjoyed having you as our guests, and hope to see you back to enjoy more sunsets on the decks. Right now, the star gazing is amazing!
Cathy
Aiken, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

This Inn has a very interesting history. The restoration is a work in progress. VT had continuous rain in the spring and summer so it was hard to make much progress on the outside. Kathy was a wonderful host. We were in the area doing genealogy. She called the local historian to find out some info. for us and also searched ancestry.com. I had requested a refrigerator so she upgraded us to room in the carriage house a no additional charge. We had a refrigerator and microwave outside our door. We arrived in late afternoon and left after breakfast so we didn't get to explore the property much. There were numerous choices for breakfast which all sounded good. They have chickens so the eggs are fresh. Our breakfast was delicious. I'd definitely recommend this Inn.

Room Tip: We had the Georgia Room. It had an outside deck. All of the rooms in the carriage house are up a f...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank molly30087
CatherinePreble, Owner at Silas Griffith Inn, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We're very happy you enjoyed your stay.

Our chickens are definitely friendly. This weekend some of the guests were able to pet Frick when she and the other hens came down to meet people.

Genealogy has become a bit of a hobby since we bought the Silas Griffith Inn. We love helping people trace their roots. Vermont is full of history and we are lucky to have an active Historic Society that has records dating back to the American Revolution and beyond.

Thank you again, and we hope to have you again as our guests when you travel back to this area.
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

The Silas Griffith Inn has interesting history and is in a lovely location. I was section hiking the Appalachian Trail by myself and was happy to be promptly met by Cathy and taken to the Inn, which has promise but needs a lot of work. It was comfortably enough, but had a tired feel to it. For the price I was expecting something less modest. The innkeeper was friendly and knowledgeable. Although my guidebook had said the cost of pickup and drop off was included in the rate, I was charged extra for these. The dinner ($25 extra) was prepared ahead, frozen and microwaved. I requested an early breakfast and was disappointed that, although I was the only guest, I could not be accommodated for breakfast until 8 am. The breakfast did have nice fresh fruit and a delicious omelet.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank peggy w
CatherinePreble, Owner at Silas Griffith Inn, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our Bed and Breakfast. I am glad you found the room comfortable and enjoyed your breakfast. We did give an option of a Breakfast bag for an earlier departure, but you chose to stay for the full breakfast.

We offer hikers on the AT a discounted mid-week rate of $30 off per night, which we honored for you on a Friday evening. We do not advertise a free shuttle service, or any shuttle service, and I am sorry that a third-party guidebook misinformed you about our services.

Dinner is not included in any of our room rates. Your dinner was cooked to order, as are all our meals, and included freshly cooked vegetables from our gardens and the local farmer's market.

All of our meals include either a fresh-cut garden salad or a bowl of homemade soup, a main course which include lemon-pepper chicken breast, mustard-dill chicken breast, Wild Alaskan Salmon with basil and lemon, Maple-glazed Wild Alaskan Salmon or herbed Tilapia, a choice of 2 side dishes which that weekend included homemade zucchini lasagna, garden fresh green beans, Vermont mashed potatoes, Vermont corn on the cob or Bushs' baked beans, and dessert which was your choice of an individually cooked mug cake and ice cream. Plus coffee, tea, milk or soda. We feel that $25 is a very fair price for such a meal.

Thank you again for your review. We are a modest, family owned and operated Bed and Breakfast in the process of being fully restored. We hope the rest of your hike was successful.
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

My wife and I just spent a 3 day getaway at the Silas Griffith Inn. We brought our little pitbull mix with us and she had the best time. The inn has a large spacious lawn that our pup was able to run around on and there is a very cool field where we played frisbee with her. As a dog owner, it can be difficult to find a good spot to travel with your buddy, and Silas Griffith was perfect. Cathy, the owner, was warm and welcoming. Breakfast is offered daily but unfortunately because we are NYC vampires, we never actually made it in time. There were chickens living in trees on the ground, so I am sure scrambled eggs would have been amazing. Next time I will try to get up before noon :P

This inn is in a quiet area pretty near Manchester and was perfect for someone traveling with their canine friend. I'm definitely excited to see the restoration progress the next time we visit. The Silas Griffith has a lot of Vermont charm. Though we didn't have the opportunity to avail ourselves of the common area, if we had stayed longer I am sure you would have found me playing video games at 2 am. The view from our second floor terrace was an amazing scene of the Green Mountains. I could have sat out there all night looking at the stars. Above all, the staff was welcoming and helpful in every way. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank TheShark369
Thank you so much for your review. We're glad you enjoyed you both and you dog enjoyed your stay with us. We love animals, and also know from experience how difficult it is to find someplace that truly accepts pets. I'm so glad you enjoyed playing in the field.

Thank you, again, and we really appreciate the feedback and hope to see you again in the future!
Columbus, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

When I googled a place to stay near Pawlet, VT, the Silas Griffith Inn popped up. I called Cathy to make a reservation. Since it was only me, she knocked $10 off the nightly rate without even asking for it. She asked me what brings me to Danby and I told her I was on a genealogy trek across New England. She proceeded to get in touch with the local genealogist and the county clerk in Pawlet to expedited my research once I arrived. She had all the contact info when I made it to Danby. The local genealogist walked over to the Inn to meet with me the first night. When I visited the town hall in Pawlet the next day, Debbie greeted me and even knew the ancestor I was researching.

I had a wonderful stay at the Inn. Now if you want the Waldorf Astoria, this isn't the place to stay. It is old and the owners are working hard to restore it. It does need work. There is a half-mile walking path on the grounds that I utilized along with walking through historic Danby. The hills and scenery are worth the price of admission. Cathy fixed a fabulous breakfast the next morning and since I was traveling alone, she even sat and chatted with me, ensuring I had plenty of coffee. If I ever make the trip to VT again, I will defiantly stay at the Silas Griffith Inn.

Room Tip: I recommend the Georgia Room. It has a balcony that overlooks a fabulous 3400 foot mountain.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Mark F
CatherinePreble, Owner at Silas Griffith Inn, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for commenting on our hard work restoring this place. Our goal is to bring it back to its former glory, and that takes time. But we will never be the Waldorf Astoria, and I am glad you pointed that out. We are a small, friendly, homey Bed and Breakfast.

I'm glad you enjoyed the walking paths. After Foliage we're going to be expanding the paths so we have a full mile of interlocking paths throughout the meadows passing the various berry patches, apple trees, and bird nests.

Thank you for staying with us, and good luck with the genealogy!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Danby
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
#1 of 2 in East Dorset
Marbledge Lodge
Marbledge Lodge
#1 of 1 in East Dorset

Been to Silas Griffith Inn? Share your experiences!