“Decent campground, traffic noise at night”

Emerald Lake State Park
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Dorset
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Like others have said, it is a good basic campground with the bonus of a nice little pond, a beach and some human-powered boat rentals. Also noticed a volleyball net near the check-in station and a basketball hoop near the beach. The campsite we had was private, but most of the others I saw were closer to each other that I prefer. The lean to was large and in good condition, but had no nail hanger/hooks inside. Picnic table was in good shape. The bathrooms were OK; clean enough and nothing broken. Didn't use the showers but they looked OK as well. The only drawback is the noise at night from traffic on Rt 7, a major North/South highway in VT. The campground is on the west side of Rt 7, about a quarter mile from the road and about 150 feet above it on a plateau on the side of a large mountain. On the east side of Rt 7 is another large mountain. This forms a natural amphitheater for tire and engine noise from passing cars, trucks, and of course the "load pipes save lives" dingbats on Harley's. (I'm a motorcyclist, but the loud pipes have really reached the ridiculous stage). You don't notice it much during the day, but if you're a light sleeper then you will at night. You can hear them coming from a mile away and for a mile after they've gone by, and it really doesn't stop all night (don't ask how I know). So, if you like the sound of crickets and maybe a flowing stream to lull you to sleep, look elsewhere; if you can sleep though anything, this place would be OK.

4  Thank Notch1
There are newer reviews for Emerald Lake State Park

Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I were visiting Vermont and we decided to go to Emerald Lake to go hiking and swim in the lake. We took a short hike up the Vista path but it wasn't completed yet (should be completed soon). By the beach there are canoes/paddle boats/kayaks to rent and they have have a small snack stand. Great place for families or couples.

3  Thank Sbooker11
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

We just drove by and decided to take a late afternoon walk by the lake while vacationing in Vermont. It was late in the day so there weren't really many people there. We took a nice stroll thru the woods along the lake. The lake and trail were beautiful and super clean. It was very enjoyable for us.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Hubby and his BF and his BF's two boys (14 and 12) went camping sans dogs this Fourth of July through July 6th. Was scheduled to camp until the 7th but it rained EVERY night since the 4th we decided to come home lated on Sat the 6th.

Just to make it quick...there are new Campground volunteers here this year and they were terrific people. I mentioned one time the ladies room was out of toilet paper so it was replaced immediately and secondly we needed to jump our truck, sot they graciously provided us with jumper cables. They are very sweet people and their dog Chief is so gentle and nice. I played with him a bit during our stay.

As usual the lake was perfectly cold but nice swimming. It was packed, since it was the 4th weekend with lots of "groups" and LOUD kids. If you can zone those things out, unlike me, you will enjoy it. Rentals were cheap and avaiable.

The reason why I only gave this review 3 is because our campsite flooded at one point during a HEAVY downpour on Friday night and the ladies bathroom floor in Area A - our sites were #4 and #10...was always filled with water, especially the handicap stall. It was like walking into water at times. I noticed a fan was put in the bathroom, at one point, to dry the floor off (I assume) but it was still dangerous (to me) to have the floor be that wet. Don't understand why park services was not in there with a mop. Maybe water coming up through tiled floor - not sure. Also, as I said site #4 flooded in one area so much so that we had to move various things around. Thank goodness our tent was not flooded.

I would just say that from two years ago to now, I saw increased wear on campsite #4 and #10. #4 especially needs more soil and/or rock added.

Other than that, I love the campground as it's quiet and such a quick trip to Manchester.

2  Thank Jill U
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed a few days in a lean-to. The campground is rustic, built on a steep mountain side, mostly forested (not much sun light). Most sites are level and generally clean . Restrooms/showers were some what clean (it is a camp ground). The highlight is Emerald lake, nice clean beach. It is located near the Green Mountain National Forest, White Rocks/Big Branch areas which offer some great hiking. The campground is a cheap alternative to a hotel.

2  Thank eastcoastdave