“A Perfect Vermont Getaway”
Review of Barrows House

Barrows House
Ranked #1 of 7 Dorset B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“A Perfect Vermont Getaway”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This was our second stay at the lovely Barrows House. Last year the room that Richard,the manager, suggested was still under construction so instead he gave us a free upgrade to the Ravens Loft. It was a very rainy three days but we were very cozy in such a unique accommodation. This year our room in Cardinal's Retreat was complete and is beautifully and tastefully decorated, complete with a cushioned window seat. It is perfect for my husband and I who love our privacy. We had a delicious dinner at the Dorset Inn and really looked forward to our breakfasts in the charming breakfast room at the Dorset Inn. The Dorset area really gives you a slice of Vermont life. Richard is so accommodating and gracious in trying to fulfill any requests, including offering suggestions for interesting places to visit. His goal is to offer a perfect Vermont getaway to his guests. We look forward to many return visits.

Room Tip: The website gives you a clear picture of the unique accommodations.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I made my Living Social reservation with Richard two months in advance, and specifically asked for a room on the top level (Mockingbird #4), since I am a light sleeper. I made note of this on my Living Social voucher, along with Richard's name, and I received an email confirmation. When I went to check in, I was told that my room would be on the first floor. I handed my voucher to Richard and reminded him that I had requested a second floor room. I also mentioned that the room I requested had a private deck. He denied this and "upgraded" my mother and me to Lark's Ledge, where the paint was chipping off the steps and was being painted before we even departed from the parking lot, and where the key only worked sometimes; we had to call for help to unlock our door on one occasion, while we waited outside. Other times we fumbled with the unreliable key in the rain. As I look on the web site now, I see that I was correct in mentioning that the room we were supposed to check into does indeed have a private deck.

The Living Social voucher was supposed to come with a coupon book, which I had to go back to the lobby to ask for. For entertainment, Richard recommended a play that was being performed at the local playhouse. We asked him the price of the tickets and he told us that he could take care of getting them for us and that they would be around $35. After settling in, since it was pouring rain outside, I decided to look into the play on line. I found 4th row tickets for $29 each with all fees included. The play, Red, was an excellent performance.

We enjoyed two meals at the Barrow's House restaurant. The food was delicious and the service was friendly and helpful. Our waiter recommended that we visit Hildene, the Lincoln Family estate, which we enjoyed the next day. First we had stopped by the desk to get some advice from Richard, who discouraged us from going to the Norman Rockwell exhibit, about 12 miles away. We decided to stop there on our way home anyway, and were so happy that we did, as it was a highlight of our trip.

At one point, we wanted to enjoy a cup of coffee at the Keurig machine in the Main Inn, but there was only decaf available, and we were told by a staff member that they were waiting for a shipment of regular coffee. Couldn't someone run to the store to buy a box in the meantime??

Although the breakfasts were tasty with plenty of options, it would have been nice if we were informed ahead of time that they were served at the sister inn, down the road.

When we checked out, we were handed a bill for tax and a 10% "Living Social Charge". I told Richard that I had experienced many Living Social escapes and had never been charged a "Living Social Charge" upon departure before. Rather than argue about it, I decided to call Living Social when I got home, and sure enough, they knew nothing about this fee and kindly put the charge back into my Living Social account.
Overall, the property is lovely, the accommodations were clean and comfortable, the pool was clean and relaxing and the breakfasts were abundant and delicious, as were the dinners. However, the customer service was lacking in dependability and warmth.

Room Tip: If you request a room upon making reservations, make sure you are given the correct room upon arriva...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Livingsocialcb
barrowshouse, Manager at Barrows House, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
We are pleased that you chose Barrows House for your recent visit to Southern Vermont. Overall it appears that you enjoyed your stay in our recently renovated property and fully enjoyed dinner at our Inn and breakfast at our sister property, The Dorset Inn.

Upon check in, your request for an upstairs room was accommodated by upgrading from a standard king room to a quiet two room suite, Lark's Ledge. Our property consists of the Main Inn and seven outbuildings/cottages, one being Mockingbird Court which does have a truly lovely front porch for enjoying afternoon beverages and snacks. (please refer to website for information about porches/decks)

It is unfortunate that the door lock did not work properly for you but we are pleased that our staff was able to assist with gaining entry to your room. A quick phone call from the house phone and the staff would have been pleased to deliver a shopping coupon book. A request for a hot cup of coffee from the kitchen would have been gladly accepted.

Dorset is fortunate to have a professional playhouse that our guests are able to enjoy and that we, as Innkeepers, can recommend. Many times individual businesses provide specials/discounts on their websites.

Our community embraces Norman Rockwell, as some of his work captures the local people in Arlington. The staff gladly recommends this exhibit to our guests. Most of the work exhibited is a reproduction with the original paintings and sketches in Stockbridge, MA This was the extent of the conversation. Our small communities thrive and depend on each other for business and recommendations.

As discussed upon check out, always read " the fine print" with all special promotions. It will most likely contain information about taxes, fees, specific rooms not guaranteed, availability, and any other important information concerning the promotional offer.
Montreal
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We spent 4 days at the Barrows House. We stayed in the Mocking Bird Court and simply adored our room, the common area and the front porch. Each house is equipped with a microwave, coffee machine, and fridge located in the common area (I would simply call it the lobby). That is great when you are travelling with young children and need to heat or refrigerate their food.

The rooms and the property were impeccable. The staff was quite nice. The pool was huge and very clean. Every afternoon, the Inn serves tea and cookies. Very charming.

We had an amazing breakfast each morning at the Dorset Inn where we were treated wonderfully by the wait staff and the Inn manager.The Dorset Inn is a 1 minute stroll from the Barrows House.

Across the street from the Dorset Inn is a general store where you can pick up local food goods, coffee, wine, and an assortment of candies for kids. We spent many of our mornings there after breakfast sipping coffee on the front porch and talking to the locals.

Dorset is a great location. Nearby you can find Emerald Lake, Manchester outlets, Northshire Library, a great park (Dana L Thompson park) and farms you can visit. You can even go jogging on the quiet roads near the Inn. There is always something to do.

In short, we absolutely loved our stay and we will be returning to charming Dorset, Vermont and the Barrows House. Our son loved his stay too.

Room Tip: The music from the bar/restaurant is loud. Just be aware that you should pick room that is far from...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Astoria, New York
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had looked at the Barrows House as a potential wedding venue and they had offered us a free night stay. It was a fabulous beautiful place. Upon entering the inn you're greeted with the delicious smell of apple cinnamon.

The guest room itself was gorgeous, clean, and modern. We would definitely come again. And breakfast was delicious!

Staff was friendly and phenomenal!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dorsetinnkeeper, Owner at Barrows House, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you so much for considering Barrows House for your wedding! We do hope your Vermont stay was truly wonderful. Those local soy candles grab people every time! We'll most certainly mention to Caitlin your nice comments. Best of luck on your wedding plans and we'll hope to welcome you back very soon!
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I would not go back here again. I've stayed at the Dorset Inn on many occasions and since they are both owned by the same people, I wanted to give The Barrows a try. The rooms were renovated but we had a MAJOR ant problem in our room. Also, the dinner menu had just changed and what was advertised, was not what was on the actual menu. The bed was extremely uncomfortable.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank jarehus
Dorsetinnkeeper, Owner at Barrows House, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
We are terribly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Barrows House. Just as we did at The Dorset Inn, we have renovated our guest rooms with new beds & bedding, bathrooms and furniture. We can assure you that having comfortable beds that meet everybody's needs is the highest priority. We will check that particular room very carefully and give it any additional attention it may need. In terms of our restaurant menus, we do indeed make minor seasonal changes several times a year. Once they are in service, the new menu also appears on our web site without delay. We do hope that you sampled some of the new summer items.
Belmar, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The staff here were really wonderful, incredibly friendly and eager to make you feel comfortable. I was upgraded, at no extra charge to a beautiful room with a gas fireplace and sitting area at the front of the Inn after not feeling comfortable with my first room due to a noise and exhaust issue from the restaurant. The inn is really lovely, with a common room on the main floor offering books to read and hot beverages day and night. There are other rooms to rent in out buildings on the property that may be a little more private and quiet in the evening as the rooms in the main inn are subject to some noise from the restaurant and guests coming and going. But when things close down at night, everything becomes very quiet and peaceful. The on-site restaurant was terrific with your choice of dining at the bar or at tables in the dining room. Outside tables surround a fire pit which is lit at night along with heat lamps for cooler weather. Do not miss breakfast. Every morning, it was just delicious with a terrific menu selection and service. And for bacon lovers, be sure to order it. My mouth waters every time I think of it. I was told it's from The Wallingford Locker, a butcher in Wallington, Vermont. Best bacon I've ever had. Barrows House is less than a 15 minute easy ride to the town of Manchester. I do look forward to returning to the area this year and will not hesitate to stay here again. I may however, look into one of the rooms outside of the main inn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Manchester, Vermont
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Seriously, do not miss this restaurant if your visiting Manchester area. Comfortable, modern, and food is fantastic. I live here and just got back from another great meal. Everything cooked to perfection. Thanks to everyone at Barrows House.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dorset
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
Palmer House
Palmer House
#6 of 16 in Manchester
The Equinox Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Barrows House? Share your experiences!