“Really enjoyed our stay except for one thing.”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Gatineau, Canada
“Really enjoyed our stay except for one thing.”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Beautiful setting, gardens, pool(s) and hot tub and delicious 'American' food by which I mean, as a Canadian, huge portions and items not seen on menus in the Ottawa-Gatineau area. I love to eat and this is the place. The staff was so very friendly and helpful. Couldn't shut off the air conditioning in first room and immediate attempt to solve problem which didn't work so a room transfer was done right away. We were on a TravelZoo very affordable package and so I should not mention this but I will. Our room was in the older section which I requested and had we been paying full price I would have been sorely disappointed. The room was comfortable but very tired furnishings; that fake pine look from the 70's. But the use of wall colour was imaginative and the linens were excellent. We hope to return in the fall to enjoy Vermont's incredible scenery and the friendly people.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
New Hampshire
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I booked a spa weekend for myself to enjoy before starting back to work and the Essex Resort gave me exactly what I was looking for. Check-in was a very pleasant experience as I was treated to lemonade and freshly baked cookies as well as a mini box of decadant chocolates. I was welcomed warmly and felt like a "VIP." There is an olympic sized indoor swimming pool and lovely ladies changing area. There is a hot tub outside which can be enjoyed at night "under the stars." On Saturday evening, guests were treated to smores around a roaring fire that was also a special treat for young and old alike. When you schedule a massage, you can spend the day in their lounge relaxing and reading. There is also a steamroom with eucalyptus aromatherapy. I didn't leave the resort as I had all my meals in the restaurant on-site. Although the resort was only two hours from my home, I came home feeling like a new person-relaxed, rejuvenated, and with many, many pleasant memories of a wonderful stay. I would recommend the Essex Culinary Resort and Spa enthusiastically and am looking forward to a return visit. The resort also offers cooking classes that is an added plus. I think the resort is perfect for couples, families, and also for solo travelers.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Exeter, New Hampshire
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed at The Essex about 15 years ago for a cooking class and had a great experience, so I was delighted to return for a two night stay with my husband. I found the hotel to be in very good condition and we were upgraded to a suite with a full kitchen, eating area, living room area and separate bedroom with a very comfortable king sized bed and nice linens. I read some of the reviews tonight upon our return and was very surprised at the negative comments, we experienced none of the issues raised in the reviews.
We enjoyed dinner at the Chef's Table with Executive Chef Kerri. A great meal, well prepared. The grounds are lovely with a nice outdoor pool in addition to the indoor pool located at the fitness center and Spa. The fitness center is compact, but very well equipped so I don't understand the negative comment about it being a "closet". We did not book any treatments at the Spa, so I cannot review it, but it looked very nice. I also can't comment on any of restaurants since our stay was brief and after our wonderful dinner at the Chef's Table, we opted for a light meal the next evening.
I think this hotel is great value for the cost. It is family and pet friendly, yet quiet. Don't be put off by the negative comments. Give this a chance for a brief stay. My sister was there for a week and loved it.

Room Tip: Look for value offers on travel sites.
Pembroke, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Lovely property. pet friendly. Clay tennis ,pools, trails and delicious cooking class.
Undergoing some renovations so it will be even lovelier in the near future.
We didnt get a chance to sample the spa but it looked and smelled great.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Here are my comments about The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort and Spa
Essex Junction, Vermont where we stayed from Jul 20, 2011 to Jul 22, 2011.

We have used Hotwire several times and have always been pleased with our accomodations however, this time we were most unhappy. The room was perhaps at a 2 star level and far from 4 stars. The following are the reasons why this was not a 4 star room:
- an air conditioner unit in the window
- cardboard placed on the sides of the AC unit and a towel underneath it
- musty smelling elevators
- dirty bedspread
- some mold in the bathroom
- stains on the chair at the desk in the room
- the springs in the other two chairs were finished.
- no menus regarding the restaurants. Upon check out, we found out that the restaurants were just about to re-open.
- checking in, we were given coupons to the outlet stores in the area...this is not something a 4 star hotel would do
- extremely dated decor including an old TV and not a flat screen
- pleasant staff

I am now wondering what we will experience the next time we use Hotwire.

1 Thank teresabt
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I can definitely recommend The Essex (http://www.vtculinaryresort.com/) for a high-end short-stay trip such as is needed for a honeymoon. The Chef's Table dinner at which you get to see your dinner prepared and served by Chef Kerri Bouffard or one of her team is especially good. Mind you, we had a Groupon coupon for 2 nights, 3 days + 2 Swedish massages) and that was excellent value. Got me gold points for a romantic vacation and that's priceless.

Westfield, NJ
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We booked a midweek special thruough Travelzoo, which was a very good value.
The first room we were given in the main building had a noisy ac unit, they immedialryly switched us to an efficiciency in the Manor building which was even nicer and alot more convenient. If you travel to The Essex you must be tolerant of the smell of food which seems to waft through the buildings, but not into the individual rooms. The rooms were very clean, good bed, oldish TV (didnt go there to watch). Nice pools and workout area overall the place is lovely. We had a great meal at The Tavern restaurant which was part of our booking packaage, absolutely delicious one of the best meals we had on our trip.
Everyone who worked there was sooo nice and helpful. I left my make-up bag in our bathroom when we left, it arrived 3 days later at my home in perfect condition. Its all good i am so pleased with our overall experience.

1 Thank ArchitectmomNJ
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,471 reviews
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,275 reviews

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!