“SUPERB PLACE IN ALL ASPECTS.”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Whooweee what a nice place.
A very pleasant surprise awaited us at the resort.
Do not know where to begin,from the service to the enormously large room,the grounds the freebees etc.
All so overwhelming,we recommend this place to all and will stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,449)

Reviewed 19 August 2011

The Essex is a beautiful property. The service and quality were fantastic. I would love to come back again and take advantage of more of the on-property amenities, but since this was our first time in Vermont, we did more touristy activities and weren't in the room too much. However, every moment we spent on the grounds of the Essex was delightful. Dinner in the Tavern was fantastic.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

My family and I had a wonderful stay at the hotel and spa. It was a peaceful stay in a very nice facility. My wife enjoyed the spa and my children enjoyed the two pools, outdoor hot tub, giant checkerboard and playing games on the grass. I stayed here three years ago and the hotel has had several upgrades and we noticed several more room upgrades taking place as we stayed here. I enjoyed the time with my children as well as time sitting quietly with a book. We even watched a very small wedding ceremony in the garden. An outlet center with restaurants and a Hannaford market was 5 minutes away so we had all eating options: in the hotel, at a restaurant, or bringing back food for a picnic. I offered some small suggestions to management to make it even more special for my next stay. The staff was a joy. This is a great stay for couples or a family.

Reviewed 16 August 2011

I bought this package on Luxury Link, which by the way, is one of our favorite websites. The package consisted of four nights, two cooking classes, two massages and a full breakfast every morning. We arrived late but in time for our two hour cooking class with Jane Kirby who is the Food Editor of Real Simple magazine. The class consisted of eight participants and lasted about three hours which was fine by all of us. We were having such a wonderful time! In fact, the cooking class and the massage were the highlight of this trip!

Here are the items that they need to improve. To begin with, the decor doesn't exactly know what it wants to be. Is it whimsical colonial? Modern flair with a mountain influence? Grandma's living room? We don't know what it is. Secondly, the Vermont "sustainable" living asect can be found in bits and pieces throughout the hotel but is not carried out properly. Although there is a sign in the bathroom to hang up the towels for reuse, the maids still clear them out EVERY day. Frustrating! They have added chickens but no fresh eggs as of yet and the gardens are soon to be fruitful. The service is mediocre at its best and the restaurant food is sub par (which is very disappointing for a culinary resort). The best meal was the one we created with our chef! Finally, if you like children running everywhere and being loud, then you will be fine. This is very child friendly. We had thought otherwise since it was a culinary resort which did not sit well with us.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2011

+ The resort has lovely grounds and great looking pools (indoor and outdoor) and a hot tub, that we unfortunately did not have time to use during our visit.
- We booked through a discount hotel website that did warn that this facility would charge a resort fee of about $15 per room, so we knew that was part of the deal. However, at check-out it turned out the resort fee was $12 per person plus tax. Not so keen about this being almost twice as much as we expected.
+ The front desk staff was welcoming and gave us chocolate (very yummy chocolate). The bed was extremely comfortable.
- As other reviews have noted, the furniture and some bed linen were quite worn. One of the chairs in the room had a huge stain across the right arm and the extra blanket in the room was nothing I would offer a guest in my home (really aged and tatty, probably clean, but didn't look it).
+ On the plus side, the room and bathroom were spacious.
- During our first night the air conditioning unit was so loud that we turned it off and opened the window. Despite the white noise of what I assume was the air conditioning unit for one of the restaurants, we were awoken at 11:30pm by party noise (some post-wedding guests and staff out for a smoking break) right under our window (we were on the third floor) that I ended up calling the front desk about. The group quieted down soon after, but then my husband and I were woken up at 4:50am by the rooster which is part of the resort's culinary garden. (BTW, roosters don't just crow once. They must want to be sure you are awake.) We mentioned the air conditioner problem to the desk in the am. I actually don't think they could have repaired it in a day so wasn't surprised when they didn't. Went for a/c over the rooster wake-up call the next night, but we were awoken multiple times by the a/c starts and stops. (My husband complained that it sounded like a small jet engine when it kicked in.)
- On the desk in the room there is a guidebook describing the other hotels in the chain (Worldhotels). I have actually stayed at one, The Hotel Kong Arthur in Copenhagen, and it was the nicest place I have ever stayed (incredibly clean with up to date linens and furniture) and there was no additional fee for it's spa facilities. I am glad that I didn't know they were part of the same chain until I read the guidebook, otherwise I would have had higher expectations and would have been really disappointed.
I think it's a nice place for a get away, a very pretty setting for events, and probably really fun for cross-country skiing in the winter, but the rooms are just not 4 star. With some updating they could be. And why not roll the resort fee into the room cost since is applies to all guests? It's not the best way to end a stay, with an additional payment. I am guessing the desk staff doesn't like it either.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool and restrant areas.
3  Thank Rosemary-Ann
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I originally made a reservation to the Essex Culinary Resort and Spa simply based on it's reputation. Having never been there I was immediately impressed being greeted by three majestic buildings gracing a beautiful garden and land upon their feet. A warm and welcoming staff waited behind the reception in the Main Building, but before I reached them, my eyes had drawn me towards a display of a variety of cupcakes. My wife opted for a chocolate one with chocolate peanut butter ganache. So after checking in with the most wonderful staff, I felt confident that if I had any troubles during my stay, they would be taken care of worry free. Our room in the Manor building was not necessarily a modern day room, but it had quaint cottage like feel with a fancy new TV and it wasn't difficult to feel at home. I had a good feeling there, and it must have been contagious amongst all of the guests because everyone treated each other with great respect. As you explore the grounds of the resort, you'll discover a beautiful spa featuring multiple services, also housing a 25 yard pool, a very large outdoor spa and a state of the art gym. If you follow the path outside, you'll come across the outdoor pool, tennis courts, gazebos in an open area garden (perfect for weddings and events), a very large vegetable and herb garden, a fly fishing pond, basketball court and a golf course. This all spread out across 18 acres of beautiful land. Cooking classes are also offered in their Main Building. We had dinner at The Tavern Restaurant and were extremely pleased with our meal. You get beautifully presented and delicious food at more than reasonable prices. And the menu was very original as well. I highly recommend staying at The Essex Culinary Resort and Spa. My stay met and surpassed any of my expectations!

Room Tip: We had a Studio room, which featured a handy little kitchenette. Very practical.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Erickuchinsky
Reviewed 12 August 2011

Went to the Essex with a friend to enjoy the cooler temperatures and a 3-day tennis program. The tennis program was excellent with good instruction and good drills. The courts were well maintined. I didn't use the spa much, but heard good reports from those who did. The food was excellent in the restaurant (we took all of our meals there). Rooms were a notch above OK, but nothing special. The Essex was close enough to Burlington so that regular trips into town to explore the 2 brew pubs and the Majic Hat Brewery and the Church Street shops were easy to make in the afternoon and evening.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank WFT10S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Stowe Mountain Lodge
#1 of 8 in Burlington
The Stowehof
The Stowehof
#12 of 24 in Stowe

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!