The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
Ho Hum Motel(South Burlington)
Ethan Allen Motel(Burlington)
  • Pool
  • Pool
1,509 results
All reviewscooking classculinary resortchef's tableculinary instituteoutlet malltavern restaurantmain buildingthe outdoor hot tubsteam roomtennis courtscouples massagegrounds are lovelyroom was largefitness centergreat weekendcookiesburlington area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Everyone has a dream of their wedding day especially where they want to get married. I am from NY and my wife is from VT. The Essex is one perfect place! We got married in August 2013 at the Essex--Ponds in Bolton Valley. The food was amazing. Our guests are still talking about how everything was just so perfect. They have compared many other weddings they have attended and by far ours was the best. The Essex has great wedding coordinators who will get back to you in a heart back. Their general manager is amazing and is a total customer service guru! They also answer all your questions about anything that can be done or altered for your special day. They cater to you and they work for you! It is a truly remarkable place and I suggest everyone to get married at the Essex!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Chris B,

Congratulations and thank you for giving us the opportunity to be a part of such a special day for you both as well as your friends and family. The Essex Resort & Spa is host to many weddings each year and the importance of each cannot be understated. The memories and experiences of that day will always be with you and we take that quite seriously. Your positive comments have created a wonderful reaction throughout the resort and for that, I thank you. Hearing directly from guests is the best way to reward, celebrate and encourage a culture of superior service.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

We chose The Essex as a treat while visiting my brother who lives in Burlington.

The good: The hotel is pretty and the culinary ambiance is inviting and uniquel. I enjoyed moving from building to building through the basement corridors, with the chance to pass by The Bakeshop and the instructional kitchen. The pool and hot tub were very nice and the fitness room was adequate. The Tavern had wonderful food and atmosphere and the staff was friendly and quick to serve.
The OK: The rooms were adequately sized and had many of the comforts of home (coffee maker, nice TV, bathroom items, etc). The beds had nice comforters but the mattresses were old and soft. Our room in The Mansion had very drafty windows. The carpets were in need of replacing and the bath towels were very rough and scratchy.
The BAD!: We were given a room in The Mansion the weekend of the sprinkler malfunction. At about 11:30am on Saturday morning, my husband noticed water streaming from the recessed lights in the hallway. After notifying the front desk, he waited over 10 minutes for anyone to come. By then, the water was POURING from the fixtures and as we were discussing the issue in the hallway w/the maintenance staff and having them advise us on what to do w/our things in our room right next to the leak, , my husband was nearly clobbered as the ceiling collapsed almost right on top of him! We ran out with our belongings still in our room. We returned several hours later and were relocated to the main building. The relocation was courteous and professional and there was an offer to help with our suitcases. The next morning, in our new room, we had no hot water. We told the front desk staff of our issue and the first response seemed to be disbelief--"well, if that was the case, we would have known by now" was the answer I was given. At that point, I expressed my STRONG disgust that at no point during the whole ordeal, from water leakage, ceiling collapse and no hot water were we EVER offered a hotel credit, a bottle of wine, a candy bar, a muffin or a gift certificate or ANY apologetic gesture. To add insult to injury, we saw that $15 per day was added to our bill for "resort fees" when all we used was the supposedly free hotel gym and pool. When I complained, the desk clerk reluctantly credited us for one night of our stay but I'm still flabbergasted that we were not offered even a token gesture w/o my ASKING. Shameful.
I don't know if I'd return unless I had heard about significant renovations and updates to the guest rooms.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AmyB1718
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

AmyB1718,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit with family in the Burlington area. Your recognition of the amenities the resort has to offer and the associates that made for a positive experience are appreciated. In the interest of fair play, I must take a moment to offer some clarifications and omitted information regarding the unfortunate incident that occurred Saturday. The leak was not caused by a sprinkler malfunction but rather a water line feeding a heating pump that froze. The life safety systems were never compromised. Our Engineer on Duty was at the location promptly but moved immediately to the mechanical room to shut off the water. This may explain the perceived delayed response. I was one of the four members of our staff in the corridor with you and your husband. Our Housekeeping supervisor was the one who requested that you not walk under the area of the ceiling where the leak was. You did so anyway and stood just behind me by the stairwell. The sheetrock and insulation did fail due to the water but this was not a structural collapse and no one was harmed or in danger. At this point instructions were calmly given to you regarding the use of the stairwell and your husband was told the location of the exit at the opposite end of the corridor. At no time were you told to run from the building and I do not recall either of you doing so. It is unfortunate that your choice of words may portray the events as dire and life threatening. Our fire alarms were activated by the water entering a smoke detector. The local fire department responded, silenced the alarm and departed. As repairs could not be completed that evening to restore water to the building, all occupied rooms were re-located to comparable rooms in the main inn. Notes were placed at each guest room and a member of our bell staff was positioned in the foyer of the Mansion building to ensure our guests were informed, to provide assistance and were made aware of what had occurred as well as what measures were being taken to provide alternate accommodations.

Our associates in general and the members of the Front Desk in particular are fully empowered to assist guests, offer compensation and resolve issues that may arise as a result of an error, miscommunication or service failure. None of these scenarios were the cause of what occurred that day. I am pleased to hear you found the associates to be courteous and professional when organizing your change of rooms and I will certainly use this as a training opportunity for them to be more aware of visual or unspoken cues from guests who may require more attention in any given situation. Based on the conversations and interactions, we were under the impression the measures taken to resolve the situation were being met with your satisfaction. It appears that in spite of our best efforts we fell short and for this, I apologize. Hopefully some of the good memories of your stay will stand out and you may consider a return visit with us sometime in the future.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We decided to stay at the Essex after I spoke to Janette on the phone. She was very accommodating and worked to satisfy all my concerns. The hotel staff greeted us with courtesy and was clearly focused on customer satisfaction.
The room was comfortable and very clean. We played on the floor with our dog who chased her ball under the bed and under the furniture. We were impressed that every inch of the room had been thoroughly cleaned.
We ate breakfast there and loved the choices on the buffet.
Would love to stay longer next time and take advantage of the spa and culinary experiences.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear Susan H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and especially for taking the time to acknowledge the associates that helped make your stay memorable.

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

We Hotwired a room at The Essex after reading the abysmal reviews for the Sheraton in Burlington. We were not disappointed. The service was friendly and accommodating. The room was cozy - nicely painted and decorated - and clean. We ate at The Tavern, which had a warm atmosphere on a Sunday evening. The food was good. The in-room coffee was great. Slippers would have been nice. We did not use the pool or spa, but they looked nice. Downtown Burlington was 25-30 minutes away. Don't miss the ECHO Science Center.

• Stayed: November 2013
EssexResort-VT, Manager at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

Dear Married_w_toddlers

I am pleased to hear you were able to take advantage of the promotion on Hotwire and that we lived up to your expectations. Your compliments will be shared with all of our associates.

Thank you for your support and hopefully we will see you and your family again sometime soon.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

My wife and I have been staying here for the past seventeen years, myself, eighteen years.
When I first stayed, it was only the main building. Then they added the Manor, then the Extended Stay Suites and now, the Spa building!
In the past, they had a relationship with the Vermont Cullinary Institute. They ran and staffed the wonderful Buttlers restaurant within the inn. It made the inn a culinary destination. They severed that relationship and have replace Buttlers with the mediocre Amuse restaurant. If you want a great dinning experience eat at the Chefs Table inside Amuse-that is a great expeience! Reservation required.
As to the inn itself. Fine, warm, friendly staff, generally able to help you with any questions or problems.
We love The Essex. It's our "go to" place when we want to get away. We love the area (10-15 minutes outside Burlington, VT)..
The rooms a clean and nice, generally with a gas fireplace that feel cozy on a cool evening. We'll admit we're not above cranking the AC while we're out all day so we can snuggle up with the fireplace in the evening.
The inn has Amuse restaurant available for breakkfast. Interesting and good but there are outside alternatives includind McD's for those on the run.
Nice grounds, they host many eddings. Make sure you get a room away from where the wedding receptions are held. We once received a room directly above the reception area and clearly with the music it was unnaceptable. A call to the office got us moved to a room across the hall a few doors down. Despite the short move, it completely took care of the noise problem.
We have also stayed in the extended stay suites for ten days. This had separate sitting room, bedroom, there was a jacuzzi and full kitchen. We utilized the kitchen by shopping at the market in the convenient nearby plaza.
We used the inn as a base to vist such places as Fort William Henry in Lake Champlain, NY, Fort Ticonderoga in Ticonderoga, NY, the Ausable Chasm in NY, Montreal, Canada and so many other places.
The newer spa buildind and services is a great addition and draw. So relaxing to get a facial then a massage!
We love this place and it would not be a trip to upper VT without staying here.

Room Tip: When you book, make sure to get a room away from the function area. Try to stay out of the Mansion.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your support over the past 17+ years and for making the Essex Resort & Spa your go to destination when in the area. A greater compliment could not be hoped for.