“Beautiful grounds”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I spent two nights at the Essex. This was our first time here. We were very impressed by the beautiful grounds and very friendly and accommodating staff. We were close enough to explore the Burlington area and the Lake. Food was fantastic in the Tavern.

Room Tip: Junior suites are very spacious.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mary S
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Mary S,

Thank you for your appreciation of the work our landscaper has done. John Stafford's family owned business has been taking care of the property for many years. He and his wife are often here along with his crew ensuring all is tip top. We recently toured the entire property with John and he made some great suggestions for improving the look, feel and layout. Great things are coming!

Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

The staff and food were wonderful
We especially enjoyed the cooking class and the 5 course tasting dinner. We got to try new foods and went home loving it. It was different and fun. Can't wit to return. It is now one of our favorite places to come to.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Linda B

Dear Linda B,

It is so great to hear of your fantastic experience. Our Cook Academy classes are the most popular guest activity. In fact, we are adding more Chef Instructors to increase availability.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 4 July 2014

We recently stayed in their Manor Building, in a one bedroom Suite for a night! I can see why other guest say this place needs updating, but I found it lovely. The room had a great kitchen, Dinette and Living Area. The Lobby looked old and had old board games which I haven't seen for years, but I looked at it as vintage... I didn't need much help, buy the staff I encountered were very nice and attentive. The grounds and views are absolutely beautiful!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RYF18
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear RYF18,

Thank you for staying with us and for having a great time.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

My wife and I recently spent one night at the Essex and were impressed by the uniformly helpful and friendly staff. We had stayed there previously, but several years ago, and noticed that much of the resort has been tastefully updated. This is a place to go if you value the overall beauty and serenity of a true resort, compared to the standard hotel surrounded by asphalt and urban noise. This is clearly a place for people who enjoy a more sophisticated and tranquil environment who are looking to get away from hustle and bustle and appreciate a motivated and helpful staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John S
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear John S,

Thank you for these words of praise. The Essex Resort & Spa is a locally owned Vermont business with dedicated, associates who are committed to providing each and every guest with a great experience.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I REALLY wanted to like this place more. It's sad that The Essex has so much potential but it's not living up to it. The property was nice but it looked like some work was going on to prepare for the summer. It also has a 25 minute proximity to Waterbury and Burlington. When we arrived, we were greeted with a tepid reception by the people at the front desk. I expected a certain amount of warmth arriving at an inn in Vermont. I noticed the pastry case as we walked in and thought it was such a cute idea since we were at this "culinary" resort. We stayed in the main building and our room felt old when we got in. One of the blinds was broken and was hanging crooked. I had requested a fridge for my insulin. It came promptly but it smelled pretty bad. I don't know why but it smelled like cigarettes! They should consider propping the doors open wherever they keep them when they're not in use. We decided to have dinner at The Tavern our first night. Like another reviewer, I didn't find out Amuse was closed until a couple of days before our stay. Annoying but didn't wreck the trip since I was going into Waterbury for dinner for the other night of our stay. Our server, Jazz, was very helpful. We enjoyed the majority of the dinner. Cheese curds were good but not a must. The chicken wings were really good. We got a split order so we could try both. They did not disappoint. I got the bbq chicken (meh), roasted parsnips (not great) and the mac and cheese (delish!). My husband got the swordfish. Enjoyed everything but his potatoes were warm on the outside and a bit cold on the inside. We skipped dessert because we were pretty full but she reminded us about the case by reception. As we exited, the hostesses offered us some maple hard candies they had just put out. It was a nice touch and they were tasty. I went to take a look at the case and it looked exactly the same as it did when we arrived; a few half empty trays on different shelves. We had tried to book facials the day we arrived but were told the estheticians were fully booked the next day so we never got to try the spa. We slept well even though the bed wasn't great (pillows were actually better than the bed!) and went to the gym the next morning (adequate but only one channel on the elliptical machine TVs worked). After, we had bfast at The Tavern and sat outside. I was looking forward to it because I had read good things about the breakfast. Other than the awesome lemon poppy muffin and the homemade English muffin, our eggs were mediocre and my hash browns were suffering from the same problem as the potatoes the night before. As we left after breakfast to go sightseeing, I took a peek at the case out of curiosity. One fresh tray was added but the ones that were there from the previous afternoon were still there and in the same spot. Thanks to a nice young lady at the front desk we had spoken to the night before, we did some nice things in Burlington and visited Lake Champlain. When we checked out the following day, there were multiple charges on our bill that made no sense. Initially Wyatt asked us to call later when the billing people were in but when he saw we weren't comfortable with that, he took the time to figure it out and he fixed it. As we exited, the case was still the same as the night before. What I thought was a cute idea initially, just irritated me now. They need to make it look like someone is paying attention to it! They should condense the items as they sell them; not leave so much space in there. It just doesn't say much about the culinary part. Also, if you are a "culinary" resort, a nice touch would be to give the people checking out a baked good or some candy just as a thank you. I did forget to mention that there was a plate of cheese and bread waiting for us in our room. It was lovely of them but the bread was buttered, the plate was wrapped in plastic, therefore the bread was soggy and the brie was runny (?!). I appreciate small details when I stay at an inn. I feel that the Essex misses a lot of opportunities to make you want to come back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank boriqua72
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear boriqua72,

Thank you for your insights, perspective and suggestions. It is unfortunate that we did miss these various opportunities to exceed your expectations. I assure you this information will be put to good use as a valuable learning and training opportunity.
Hopefully you may consider a return visit with us sometime in the future as I am certain we can provide you with the level of service, quality and attention to detail you would expect from us.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

The Essex has tremendous potential to become a real gem .Sadly , either the owners don't care see this or don't have the money to put into this "resort" . Everything is there ,the tennis courts ,the indoor and outdoor pool gym etc.. But ... its old and is in need of major upgrades .If you don't care for the look of your hotel and are willing to do with a an old looking resort ,then by all means this is the place .Otherwise , it might be a better to spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mgaty
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear mgaty,

It is unfortunate to hear that you did not have the opportunity to see the many features of our Resort that are well maintained and or recently updated. Please permit me to highlight a few. For our arrival experience, the driveway has just been re-surfaced and the front areas re-painted. We have just completed construction of our signature restaurant, Junction. Our grand opening is scheduled for July. Our preventive maintenance crew visits a selection of rooms daily and in fact, we have one gentleman who is dedicated to touch up paint in our public spaces. Our rooms are all equipped with flat screen TV sets, Keurig coffee makers & Ipod docking stations. We have recently upgraded our bed-linens, towels and pillows. Our landscaping crew is hard at work expanding our outdoor pool patio to accommodate additional seating. Our world class spa is a recent addition and is highly rated on Trip Advisor. Our tennis courts have just been re-surfaced for the season.
There is so much more that we have done to keep the Resort fresh and in good repair but these are just a few examples that came to mind. Oh and don't forget the beautiful Vermont views!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Essex in February as part one of our honeymoon. The food was great, the rooms were awesome and its a great location for shopping and winter adventures. We took advantage of the cooking class offerings and had the maple creme brulee EVERY NIGHT. It was fabulous! As vegetarians, my husband and I are usually cautious at new restaurants. The staff here were very accommodating to our needs and even let us sneak back to our room with creme brulee and hot chocolate one afternoon when we felt like staying in. The French restaurant was a little heavy for our taste (we're used to lighter fare) but I think that's pretty much the case for all French cuisine for us. Either way, the staff were very attentive and helpful in helping us find things we would enjoy.

For those who enjoy adventure, there was a zipline and climbing course that backed up to the property and there's lots of room for snowshoeing. Overall, it was a great experience and we hope to be back next winter.

Room Tip: The Spa Suite was excellent. You can still fit two people in a luxury suite tub, but the spa suite...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank uber00
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear uber00,

Congratulations and thank you for choosing to spend part 1 of your honeymoon with us at the Essex Resort & Spa.

I am happy to hear we met your expectations and you took full advantage of all the Resort has to offer.

See you again soon.....or maybe next year on your first anniversary.

Director of Resort Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Stowe Mountain Lodge
#6 of 24 in Stowe
The Stowehof
The Stowehof
#12 of 24 in Stowe

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!