“I just want to go back!”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I was there for Valentine's day and had a great time! This resort is soooo big, I'm sorry I've discovered some of the hidden gem only on the last day, I'll definitely go back. An hotel for me is usually a place where I will sleep and don't care much for other then the room since we like to travel around and discover local gem. But at The Essex Culinary Resort we could have stayed in for 3 days and not get bored!

We had an exquisite supper at the restaurant, had ourselves pampered at the spa and discovered there was a sauna and hamman available through the changing room. There is also a relaxing rooms with fireplace and I even found a room with ballet barres. It was winter so we didn't see the outdoor pool, but we did go into the outdoor spa. There is also an indoor pool, but there is sometime classes there for the locals. We could have occupied our 3 days without leaving the premise, but we just love Stowe whose about half an hour away so we took a drive over there and enjoyed our Valentine's day at Michael on the Hill. 2 incredible dinner in 2 days! I thought that The Essex Culinary Resort is very well located, nice and cosy, with a lot of activities on site, more then most hotels I've been.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Pat L,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate Valentine's Day with us at the Essex Resort & Spa and for sharing your experiences.

Your support is much appreciated....Oh, and the outdoor pool is open and ready for you to come back!

There are newer reviews for The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I decided to stay here to be away from the noise and general chaos of nearby Burlington. We got a beautiful dose of peace and quiet. We paid for a mini-suite with a jacuzzi tub, which was worth everything we paid for it. The king size bed was much bigger than the queen we were used to (almost too big), but was very comfortable. The room was huge, with a very comfortable couch on which to relax and watch TV, which we don't get very often with 3 kids.

The only major downside that we experienced was a malfunction of one of the control panels on the jacuzzi tub. As we weren't familiar with the tub, we literally aren't sure what we missed. We reported it to the front desk at check out and they were immediately in contact with maintenance. A minor architectural complaint is that the room looked out on the outdoor pool, so we had to keep the blinds closed to feel that we had privacy.

Overall, a great experience and well worth the price.

Room Tip: The mini-suites on the first floor look out on the outdoor pool. We kept the blinds closed as a resu...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ethandavid42
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear ethandavid42,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your much deserved getaway from the noise and stress and I am delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable time.

See you again soon,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My 4 children (ages 12-21) chipped in for a weekend stay at this resort. I had been ill for several months and they wanted my husband and I to get away. We went in March and were so excited as we hadn't been away by ourselves since before the children were born. They gave us a lovely room. It had a refrigerator, stove, & microwave which was great since I was on a special diet. We went to dinner. The waitress gave us someone else's check. Good thing I looked or we would have payed more than what we ordered. Nothing on the menu tells you they offer gluten free options. I had an unfulfilling salad. Upon returning to the room we heard a dog barking loudly across from our room. It sounded like a very large dog and continued to bark. This worried me as I needed to be able to sleep at night and feared this dog would wake me up. We went to the front desk and questioned them. We were told as though we offended someone this was a pet friendly hotel, and we could get a room in the other building which was pet free. So we moved our luggage to that building. They gave us a room on the top floor. Dingy! Dark! Much smaller. No frig, microwave, or stove. The door did not close well so we had light entering all night. The bed was horrible too. I kept rolling into my husband all night. I was lucky to get 2 hours of sleep. I should have taken my chance with the dog. The next day I spoke with the manager on duty. I was informed that the building with the nice suites were "pet friendly." I could not stay another night in that room. They would not give us a refund since my kids bought it on groupon. Even with groupon it was overpriced for what we got. Not to mention you had to walk outside to get to the spa. We left that morning! Save your money, go somewhere else!

Room Tip: Only good rooms are the ones with dogs! Free dog treats everywhere but food for people expensive!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Beata M
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Beata M,

We certainly are a pet friendly resort but this should not in anyway hinder the enjoyment of our other guests. The Essex Resort & Spa consists of 120 unique guest rooms of various sizes, configurations and amenities. I do believe all of our rooms are nice and not just those few that also accommodate pets and it is unfortunate that we were not able to find the one that was right for you.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We were very disappointed by our recent three-night stay at the Essex. We arrived at 3:30 on the first day, and were told our room was not ready. We were given drink vouchers for the bar and told that the room would be ready by 4:30. At 4:30, the room was not ready...nor at 5:00. At 5:30 we were able to access the room. We were still willing to be pleased, but when the room was not made up on the second day of our stay! The air conditioning didn't seem to work well...warm during the day, freezing at night, despite us obeying the instructions not to touch the thermometer. Not much storage available to unpack. Room large but not very nice. For $230 a night, we expected to be wowed...we weren't.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mbs678
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear mbs678,

It is unfortunate that we did not meet or exceed your expectations during your stay. Please note that I have sent an email to your address on file in response to your satisfaction survey with a suggested resolution to the issues you have detailed.

I would most certainly appreciate the opportunity to discuss these matters with you in greater detail. My contact information is included with the note I sent to you earlier.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

This place is fantastic- total relaxation experience. All the staff were pleasant and helpful, food was delicious and the spa facilities super clean. We took a cooking class and had a great time, learned a lot and the food was excellent- complimentary glass of wine with our meal. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms very comfortable and spotless. Loved the robes they provide. I would definitely return. Can't say enough about this place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank NancTZ

Dear NancTZ,

It is so rewarding to hear great positive feedback such as this. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. Our Cook Academy classes are quite popular and great fun. We are planning even more exciting options so stay tuned!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Visited for New Years thanks to a Travelzoo voucher. Terrific stay - bed was comfortable and room was spacious. Had a little issue with the heat at first but it was immediately fixed. We loved the warm chocolate chip cookies in the lobby and the Keurig in the room. We especially liked Amuse and its special New Years Eve menu.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew S
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2014

Dear Matthew S,

Thank you for sharing your memorable holiday experiences with others. Our signature restaurant, Amuse, has been a popular and well know dining venue for several years. However, our Director of Culinary Operations is always pushing to be innovative and adventurous and our newly re-designed restaurant is Junction. This exciting new offering is unique in the service level it provides in a casual environment with great, high quality local ingredients. The chefs are now front and center guiding each culinary adventure. It is truly a do not miss event.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This has been one of my favourite hotels to visit. My boyfriend and I visited this place in August for one night. This hotel offered us so much more than what where looking for, and we would definitely return for an actual vacation where we could take greater advantage of all the things The Essex has to offer, such as walking tours and culinary classes.

The location is beautiful and the staff is welcoming and helpful. The complimentary lobby snacks and refreshments are a delicious detail. When I checked in it was cookies and lemonade and when I checked out it was Green Mountain coffee.

Our room was small but comfortable.
The only issue that arose during our stay was that our duvet cover had something on it and there was a hair on one of the bathrobes, but it was quickly rectified by calling the front desk and asking for a new one and all was good. When I checked out the next morning and was asked if everything was ok during my stay, I said yes (the problems were fixed with ease and I didn't think it was necessary to further my complaint). I guess, however, that the expression of my face said otherwise. As she asked if I was sure. So I told her, and she had the resort fees waved. It is that kind of care for their guests that will ensure that I will return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kn_hart
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear kn_hart,

While I am happy to hear a swift resolution was provided for the issues you experienced, this is not the standard to which we hold ourselves and for this I apologize. Thankfully, these items did not overshadow the enjoyable memories of your visit and I appreciate the praise of the associates and the Resort as a whole that you have provided.

Thank you for your support of the Essex Resort & Spa and I do hope to have the opportunity to have you visit with us again sometime soon,

Director of Resort Operations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Stowe Mountain Lodge
Courtyard Burlington Harbor
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!