“Great place near airport and close enough to town”

The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Essex
GreenLeadersSilver level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great place near airport and close enough to town”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We needed to be close to the airport for an early morning flight. But I did not want a standard airport hotel experience. The Essex was ideal. It is set on its own acreage, has a genuine spa (not some cramped attempt at a spa), was reasonably priced and had a fabulous restaurant. We felt very fortunate to find it and end our vacation that way.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Susan R,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I am pleased to hear we exceeded your expectations.

Director of Resort Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Wow, if you want to experience some great food, stay here. They are also a culinary school and put on classes for the guests. Although we didn’t have time to attend one, the food that comes out of their kitchens is unique and GREAT!! They have 17 chefs on staff, so there is lots of imagination being used to create some awesome dishes. Walk around the grounds and you’ll see that they grow as much of their own vegetables and herbs as possible and that does show up in theie meals. The room was very clean, comfortable and are large. It’s only a short drive into Burlington, less than 15 minutes. If you are a foodie make sure you come here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear CeilidhBurl,

Thank you for coming to "our" Burlington area and taking in all the resort has to offer.

Onset, Massachusetts
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We still feel the same about our trip. However, I just found out that my girlfriend's Alex and Ani's bracelets were taken when we stayed at the resort. Luckily they weren't expensive jewelry. However, each one had sentimental value and all were gifts. She had taken them off before bed our last night there and unfortunately left them on the table when we departed. She realized after we got home and called the resort. No luck. It's sad, but who else could enter the room after we left?

Other than that, the February 10 review still stands. We had a great time.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kagus725
Dear kagus725,

It is most unfortunate to hear of these items that have been lost. Our Housekeepers (and every associate hired) are all pre-screened with a criminal background check before employment begins and we have security measures in place such as traceable master keys and security cameras in many areas of the resort. The Housekeepers are highly aware of the importance of securing guest property as well as the high level of accountability they have in ensuring this is not compromised. I do not recall hearing of a reported incident of theft during the time you were here, please forgive me if this has been missed. However, please advise your travel companions to contact me directly and I shall do all I can to investigate this matter including involvement of the local authorities so they may help determine if anything untoward had occurred.

La Jolla, California
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Really love the grounds and the amenities here. Beautiful green acres abutting some wooded areas. You can't help but relax in Vermont peace and quiet. The highlight is their indoor pool, which is amazing. They also have an outdoor pool, which is rare for the Burlington area. Hammocks are casually strewn about the property for relaxing with your best book of the moment. There's a fire pit that the staff keeps burning into the evenings. One caveat: The rooms are very different from each other, so you might call ahead and confirm what type of room you're getting. Some are definitely larger or with newer features than others. Staff is laid back, friendly, and responsive.

Room Tip: The one-bedroom suites are definitely worth it depending how much you can get one for. Many rooms ha...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bob B,

We agree...there is no better place to come and relax. Thank you for enjoying your time away with us. The Resort has 120 unique guest rooms so please let our talented reservation agents know what you are looking for and they will find the one that is perfect for you.

Essex Resort & Spa
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I was there for Valentine's day and had a great time! This resort is soooo big, I'm sorry I've discovered some of the hidden gem only on the last day, I'll definitely go back. An hotel for me is usually a place where I will sleep and don't care much for other then the room since we like to travel around and discover local gem. But at The Essex Culinary Resort we could have stayed in for 3 days and not get bored!

We had an exquisite supper at the restaurant, had ourselves pampered at the spa and discovered there was a sauna and hamman available through the changing room. There is also a relaxing rooms with fireplace and I even found a room with ballet barres. It was winter so we didn't see the outdoor pool, but we did go into the outdoor spa. There is also an indoor pool, but there is sometime classes there for the locals. We could have occupied our 3 days without leaving the premise, but we just love Stowe whose about half an hour away so we took a drive over there and enjoyed our Valentine's day at Michael on the Hill. 2 incredible dinner in 2 days! I thought that The Essex Culinary Resort is very well located, nice and cosy, with a lot of activities on site, more then most hotels I've been.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Pat L,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate Valentine's Day with us at the Essex Resort & Spa and for sharing your experiences.

Your support is much appreciated....Oh, and the outdoor pool is open and ready for you to come back!

Milton, Vermont
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My wife and I decided to stay here to be away from the noise and general chaos of nearby Burlington. We got a beautiful dose of peace and quiet. We paid for a mini-suite with a jacuzzi tub, which was worth everything we paid for it. The king size bed was much bigger than the queen we were used to (almost too big), but was very comfortable. The room was huge, with a very comfortable couch on which to relax and watch TV, which we don't get very often with 3 kids.

The only major downside that we experienced was a malfunction of one of the control panels on the jacuzzi tub. As we weren't familiar with the tub, we literally aren't sure what we missed. We reported it to the front desk at check out and they were immediately in contact with maintenance. A minor architectural complaint is that the room looked out on the outdoor pool, so we had to keep the blinds closed to feel that we had privacy.

Overall, a great experience and well worth the price.

Room Tip: The mini-suites on the first floor look out on the outdoor pool. We kept the blinds closed as a resu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ethandavid42
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear ethandavid42,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your much deserved getaway from the noise and stress and I am delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable time.

See you again soon,

Ashford, Connecticut
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My 4 children (ages 12-21) chipped in for a weekend stay at this resort. I had been ill for several months and they wanted my husband and I to get away. We went in March and were so excited as we hadn't been away by ourselves since before the children were born. They gave us a lovely room. It had a refrigerator, stove, & microwave which was great since I was on a special diet. We went to dinner. The waitress gave us someone else's check. Good thing I looked or we would have payed more than what we ordered. Nothing on the menu tells you they offer gluten free options. I had an unfulfilling salad. Upon returning to the room we heard a dog barking loudly across from our room. It sounded like a very large dog and continued to bark. This worried me as I needed to be able to sleep at night and feared this dog would wake me up. We went to the front desk and questioned them. We were told as though we offended someone this was a pet friendly hotel, and we could get a room in the other building which was pet free. So we moved our luggage to that building. They gave us a room on the top floor. Dingy! Dark! Much smaller. No frig, microwave, or stove. The door did not close well so we had light entering all night. The bed was horrible too. I kept rolling into my husband all night. I was lucky to get 2 hours of sleep. I should have taken my chance with the dog. The next day I spoke with the manager on duty. I was informed that the building with the nice suites were "pet friendly." I could not stay another night in that room. They would not give us a refund since my kids bought it on groupon. Even with groupon it was overpriced for what we got. Not to mention you had to walk outside to get to the spa. We left that morning! Save your money, go somewhere else!

Room Tip: Only good rooms are the ones with dogs! Free dog treats everywhere but food for people expensive!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Beata M
EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Beata M,

We certainly are a pet friendly resort but this should not in anyway hinder the enjoyment of our other guests. The Essex Resort & Spa consists of 120 unique guest rooms of various sizes, configurations and amenities. I do believe all of our rooms are nice and not just those few that also accommodate pets and it is unfortunate that we were not able to find the one that was right for you.

Director of Resort Operations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,469 reviews
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,274 reviews

Been to The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!