“Relaxing”
Review of Spa at the Essex

Spa at the Essex
Ranked #3 of 15 things to do in Essex
More attraction details
Owner description: Spa at The Essex is your ideal sanctuary. A visit to the only full-service spa in the Burlington, VT area is an invitation to treat yourself to the ultimate getaway experience. Our Recipe for Relaxation encourages our Spa guests to arrive early to unwind and enjoy all of the Spa’s numerous amenities: •Ten treatment rooms •25-yard indoor lap pool •Oversized outdoor hot tub (open year-round) •Steam rooms •Saunas •Relaxation lounges •Social lounge •Outdoor swimming pool (seasonal) •Full-service salon •Fitness center MASSAGES include Custom, Swedish, Deep Tissue, Reiki, Warm Stone BODY TREATMENTS include Deep Detox, Mineral Mimosa, Muscle Melt, Honey Bee Propolis FACIAL TREATMENTS include Essex Custom, Organic Glacial, Uplifting Facial PLUS MEN'S TREATMENTS, COUPLES TREATMENTS, AND PACKAGES SALON SERVICES include Manicures, Pedicures, Styling, Highlights/Color, Makeup, Waxing
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Spa was very clean, modern and comfortable. Staff made you feel special and worked hard at their craft.

EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at Spa at the Essex, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Rob N,

Thank you so much for your complimentary words regarding the Spa and the associates who are dedicated to making it a great experience.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

The hot tub was a quick hop, skip, and jump (in single-digit temps) from the warm indoor pool, which was a short walk from the main inn building. Very convenient - and was the perfect temp!

EssexResort-VT, Director of Resort Operations at Spa at the Essex, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear ChristinaK4444,

Our outdoor hot tub is heating to a comforting 104 degrees and is open year round. The deck surrounding it is kept clear of snow with underground radiant heaters. Sit back, relax and let the troubles and stress become a distant memory.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We enjoyed using the spa and fitness facilities while we stayed at the Essex immensely!

On our two night stay, we used the gym and got massages one day, and came back the next to use the eucalyptus steam room, sauna outdoor hot tub and indoor pool the next.

We were both extremely satisfied with the massages that we received, which were customized for where we needed most attention.

The spa is sparkling clean and attractive. There is a fantastic spa menu for lunch, which we enjoyed by a fireplace on a cold February day.

We were thrilled to use the spa amenities that are available to the guests of the hotel, even if you do not have an appointment for a spa service. There is a resort fee charged when staying at the Essex, but there is a huge value for it! We were provided with spa slippers, robes and towels when we used the steam room / sauna / hot tub / pool on the day we did not have services scheduled. There are high quality, botanical shower products available to use.

There is no doubt that we will return to the Essex for a spa retreat, and we would absolutely recommend this spa to anyone!

1  Thank Jenlevity63

Dear Jenlevity63

I am delighted to hear you had such an enjoyable time and received the services, relaxation and comfort you so deserve.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

My husband and I had couples massages at the Spa and loved it. The Spa is so relaxing, the massages were great and sitting the relaxation room afterwards was a great quiet time together.

Dear Joy V,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for taking full advantage of the spa experience. Karen Smegal, our Spa Director has taken great care to make it a world class facility and an oasis of rest, relaxation and rejuvenation.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

I booked a wedding package at the Spa at the Essex - a wax, mani and pedi. They scheduled the wax 3 hours before the mani/pedi, annoying, but something I could overlook. The wax was truly one of the worst experiences I have EVER had. The technician was new and didn't know what she was doing, had to call in a more experienced esthitician to help her after many painful attempts herself. I was in a lot of pain after and really just wanted to get out of there. They told me they would discount my service because of the issues. They did not. They instead told me that I would be charged full price because I had asked for the package. They said "the best they could do" was to offer a more experienced technician next time. I said I just wanted to go home and they told me that I would still be paying for the mani/pedi so I might as well stay. I did stay, the manicure was disappointing and the pedicure smudged before I even made it to the locker room because I was rushed out as soon as she was done painting my toes. I left feeling miserable, not the way I wanted to feel two days before my wedding. To add insult to injury, they added a automatic 20% gratuity. I would not recommend packages to anyone!

Dear Shannon Z,

I am quite concerned to hear of your frustrations with the services provided to you during your visit. This is certainly not the way we intend to prepare a bride two days before her wedding. I have shared this with our Spa Director Karen Smegal, Karen's dedication to the spa has made it the world class facility it is and I assure you this is neither typical or acceptable. Hopefully you may consider a return visit sometime in the future as I am certain we can provide you with the level of service, care and attention to detail you would expect. If so, please contact me directly so I may be personally involved with booking your services.

nazj@vtculinaryresort.com

Been to Spa at the Essex? Share your experiences!