“Chef is Fickle” 3 of 5 bubbles

Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: American, European
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Amuse offers sophisticated dining in a casual restaurant atmosphere. Our menu draws inspiration from the finest local, seasonal ingredients, provided by the region's finest purveyors and harvested from our own organic gardens. We take great care in preparing your selection, to highlight the textures and flavors inherent to each element. Reservations are suggested.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Chef is Fickle”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

We wanted a minor modification to our dinner prep and breakfast. Both times we were told the chef prefers not to deviate from the menu. When I am drinking a $100 bottle of champagne, don't tell me my meal cannot have a slight modification because the chef prefers not!

At breakfast, I asked for ham instead of seafood for eggs benedict due to a seafood allergy and was told the chef does not like to deviate? Save yourself the trouble and eat in the Tavern!

Visited August 2013
EssexResort-VT, Manager at Amuse, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear Maria_egypt_2010,
Thank you for taking the time to complete this review and especially for emailing me personally with your concerns. I am pleased you were able to have an enjoyable stay overall and your review of the Spa has been shared and celebrated with those associates. The resistance you encountered to menu alterations is not acceptable. If we have the ingredients, we will work with our guests to satisfy any individual preference or restrictions due to diet or allergies. With the help of our Food and Beverage Director, this has been investigated to determine what went wrong and I can assure you that appropriate measures will be taken to ensure this training opportunity is not missed. I am certain the next time you visit with us you will see a change for the better.

Naz Jenulevich
Director of Resort Operations

Los Angeles, California
“High hopes followed by disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Amuse is housed in the Essex...a lovely set of buildings. If the cuisine could match the setting then we would be in for a treat. However, nothing quite reached those high expectations. The dining room was not special, the photos of fresh foods on the walls mundane and the noise level higher than it should be for a fine dining experience. The tasting menu looked promising but the execution was lacking especially considering this was a culinary resort. The touches of molecular gastronomy on several dishes was just that - touches without having a valuable impact on the dish itself. Maybe we hit the place on an off night? I always give a restaurant a second chance.

• Visited October 2013
EssexResort-VT, Manager at Amuse, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear James L

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the resort. I am however, disappointed to hear of your less than positive restaurant experience. You mentioned that you would be willing to give Amuse another try and I am happy to hear that as I am certain we can provide the experience you were hoping for.
I highly recommend our Chef's Table offering. Available Wednesday through Saturday evening at 7pm. The Chef’s Table is an intimate, limited seating opportunity at our open kitchen. You will watch as a Chef prepares an 11 course meal right in front of your eyes. Each course is prepared with precision while using local ingredients as the Chef explains his innovative cooking techniques along the way. It is a highly enjoyable and we get rave reviews form diners nightly.
Please contact me personally prior to your next visit and I will personally handle the details of your reservation.

maryi@vtculinaryresort.com
Lynn, Massachusetts
“Great food, bad service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

The food at Amuse was great. We had the breakfast buffet and the food was pretty good for the price. The service needs some improvement, though. We waited for someone to notice us for a seat. The waitresses did look at us and one finally came over after a couple minutes. She took our order and got us beverages promptly. Then we went to the buffet where I attempted to order an omlete. Because I wasn't standing right at the omlete sign, (which was facing the opposite way that you walk along the buffet) the chef would look at me but not acknowledge that I was waiting to place an order. Finally, I asked the waitress walking by how to go about ordering and she said "oh, you have to stand by the sign". I was the only person standing at the buffet, by the way. So I walk 10 feet over and order and the chef said someone will bring it out. 15 minutes go by and I am done with my toast, homefries and juice. Waitresses were walking by but no sign of the omelet. There were 5 tables with 2 people at them each, it was not busy at all. Then I walked up and found it sitting on the counter. I would have just stayed at the counter had I known that it wasn't coming out. The restaurant needs to work on that particular protocol. Had that not happened, we would have gone back on day 2 for breakfast.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
EssexResort-VT, Manager at Amuse, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
Mary0216

Thank you very much for your review. I appreciate feedback and always take comments such as this very seriously. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the food during your visit. The buffet is new to our breakfast offering and we have had great overall feedback about it so far. Please be assured I have taken your comments to the entire team of associates as a training opportunity. I apologize for your experience and hope that when you return you will give us a chance to show you the type of service that we are so accusotmed to providing.

United States
“Food Was Good, Hit My Pet Peve!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Asked for slight change to preparation and was told by staff that the chef prefers to prepare as per the menu. This was both for dinner and breakfast. Since I am a picky eater, I would probably choose the tavern next time and simpler food.

Visited August 2013
EssexResort-VT, Manager at Amuse, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Traveler_200950

Thank you for your response. I would appreciate if you would write me personally and give me more specifics on your particular experiences. I am rather taken aback that we would deny you menu modifications. This day in age with all the gluten free, dairy free and severe allergies, we receive modification requests daily and happily make them. I apologize for your experience and look forward to hearing back from you so I may address it with my staff and management.

Best Regards
Maryi@vtculinaryresort.com
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Awesome breakfast before hitting the road.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

The Good

~ Biscuit Sammy : SO delicious and incredibly filling.
~ German Farmers Breakfast : Husband's choice and he LOVED it. Left nothing at all on his plate!
~ Service : Super nice staff and our coffee was always being refilled.

The Bad

~ I suppose my only complaint would be that the coffee isn't anything special - Green Mountain is solid coffee, but it wasn't very strong... granted we had just come from Quebec City where the coffee is much stronger and of a higher quality.

All in all a great breakfast and morning experience!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SarahGrrl