“Where was the gracious hospitality?”
Review of Istanbul Kebab House - MOVED

Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Turkish food is a true fusion of many different cultures, a collage of different cuisines so to speak. Turkey, geo-physically located as a bridge between Europe and Asia, has been a melting pot of many civilizations since the beginning of history. Once the land of Hittites and the Greeks, it later became the home of the Turks, a nomadic peoples. Therefore, its cuisine is not only a collage of all the cultures that lived in Turkey throughout history, but also a collage of cuisines from all the lands Turks lived before settling in what was then called Asia-Minor. Today's Turkish cuisine is a fusion of Turkic, Ottoman, Greek, Persian, Arabic, Lebanese, and Armenian cooking that can be defined as a true and unique Mediterranean food experience. Turkish food, as most Mediterranean food, relies heavily on appetizers called "mezes" and especially the freshest of ingredients. Although it has many meat specialties, it is predominantly based on fresh vegetables. Therefore, it offers a perfect combination of vegetarian and meat dishes, appealing to a broad spectrum of the eating public.
Colchester, Vermont, United States
“Where was the gracious hospitality?”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Vural Oktay, owner and front of the house, didn't smile or ask how my meal was till he presented the bill. He seemed put off that I used my Jumponit Deal and only ordered appetizers.

Please see my complete review here: http://www.examiner.com/list/istanbul-kebab-house-single-lady-lunch

• Visited August 2013
IstanbulKebabHouse, Owner at Istanbul Kebab House, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
We are really deeply sorry for your recent visit to our restaurant. I was very sad to hear about your experience. I just wanted to say that I actually was not at the restaurant during your visit; I had left to pick up ingredients for our kunefe dessert because we had run out the day before. The person you were interacting with that day was my brother, Hasan. My brother was watching over the restaurant while I was out, and unfortunately he has only been in the United States for little over a year and he does not speak English very well. He is kind of shy to go to the tables and ask how everything is because he is afraid he will not understand the response. That being said, the experience you describe is unacceptable and we will certainly work together to improve our customer service and Hasan has actually begun to take an English class. I have no problem with any of my guests coming in and having wine or an appetizer, this is very natural. Also, we actually are very pleased with the jump on it deal. We have run this deal for a second time because we were so satisfied with it and we would consider doing it again in the future. If we were not satisfied with jump on it we would not have run a second deal. It seems there must be a miscommunication and misunderstanding that occurred during your last visit, and for this I am very sorry. We would like to see you again and I would like to personally greet you and if you would give us a second chance I would be honored to buy you lunch. Best Regards, Vural Oktay

Burlington, Vermont
“We will be back!”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I have enjoyed lunch at Istanbul Kebab House a few times and finally was able to talk my partner into joining me there for dinner....before we even got through the appetizer he was talking about what he would order the next time we went!

We started with some Turkish wines which were very different but yummy and a Meze Platter (sampling appetizer), which were just wonderful. I love stuffed grape leaves and IKH's are some of best I have tasted. You also get lavash in which to taste the yummy haydari, hummus, babaganoush and Turkish salsa. What a great way to start a meal. We then shared the Lamb Pide, which had some kick to it. We topped off our meal with a dessert of almond rice pudding. YUM!

I have also had the lamb and beef kebabs, which were both amazingly tender. The Vermont twist on their baklava is a great salute to the area. Everytime I have gone to IKH they have been attentive and helpful.

The Istanbul Kebab House is a little off the beaten path but worth looking for. If you are not familiar with area and are arriving at night I can see where they would be easy to miss. I knew where I was going and still missed the turn into their parking lot. Look for the sandwich board out on the sidewalk to help guide you in.

• Visited August 2013
IstanbulKebabHouse, Owner at Istanbul Kebab House, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you so much for dining with us and supporting our small business! Our family is very happy to share our cuisine and culture with you. Your kind words are what keeps us going every day! See you again soon!

Waterbury Center, Vermont
“Great first visit!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013 via mobile

We went after a day of shopping in the area. A friend of ours had recommended the Kebab house to us, and we have been looking for a reason to go. Well yesterday was the day. It was busy enough (especially for the owner?; he was waiting tables, answering the phone, taking to go orders & bartending all by himself). There was a young man running food and a couple of guys in the kitchen. Service was quick, but not rushed. Water was refilled plenty of times. When we ordered bread (2 different time) it came out hot a fresh (as advertised) although one time the table next to us got our bread :) Everyone appologized for the mistake. I wanted to tell them that I work in hospitality, and COMPLETELY understand...I'm not the type to get mad.
All in all...the food was great. The service SUPERB. The atmosphere was different, but comfortable. The Turkish Coffee was to die for.
Dont be foolish and miss this spot...it is worth the time, the money and support!
Bravo IKH...BRAVO!

Rochester, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful meal and excellent service”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful meal served by a very helpful server able to help us navigate my wife's gluten sensitivities. The restaurant is bright and clean, the service quick, helpful and enthusiastice, and the foold delightful. We share an appetizer of stuffed grape leaves which were some of the best that we've had. For our entrees, my wife had the lamb guvec while I had the lamb and helloumi cheese shish kebab. I'd encourage you to try some of the Turkish wines -- a very different taste experience from a French wine -- perhaps closer to some of the Spanish roja wines. Hard to describe. All in all, we were very pleased and would go there again.

Concord, New Hampshire
“Excellant food - Fun Meal”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The owners' passion shines through from the moment you're greeted at the door 'til the moment you say your goodbyes at the end of the meal. I highly recommend sharing the appetizer sampler. They'll 'custom' size it for the number of diners. My wife had a Kebab... which was very good. I had an eggplant dish off the 'specialty' side of the menu which was from some other worldly dimension... it was soooo good. And no matter what, get the baklava for dessert!!!!

Visited August 2013