“Never again”

Grand Buffet
Ranked #15 of 70 Restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This was the 3rd time visiting this establishment. The first time nearly after it opened I think about three years ago my wife and I enjoyed it. The last time we went about a year ago, we were not overly impressed, simply left feeling it was the typical Chinese buffet place and did not plan to return. This most recent time my sister-in-law wanted us to join her and we reluctantly went alone. My two year old daughter refused to eat most of her food even though we gave her very basic items like chicken, green beans and broccoli all of which she will eat at home or at most restaurants. She had a few bites of each and would not touch them again. When we returned home she was hungry and made her green beans here and she at them all. After part way through my first plate of food I started feeling nauseous. I had two separate pieces of breaded chicken that had something hard in them. When I went to the restroom there was toilet paper all over the floor, the paper towels were over flowing from the bin. Three hours after eating there still not feeling good. Not sure if I had a piece of bad chicken or something else. It was a very busy night so possibly the food was rushed out. My sister-in-law loved it and had no issues. My wife wasn't overly impressed by the meal either but she finished her food. I know I will never revisit this restaurant. The atmosphere there seemed like others were having good meals and enjoyed themselves. Wish i could have had the same experience.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

This place was really clean. the service was very fast and consistent. The servers were very on top of their game and did a great job. Its a nice looking interior, lots of food choice options, relaxing place, big enough seating area so we have never had to wait.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

This is not just another buffet place. The Grand Buffet in Essex is a good place to eat. It's located in a strip plaza with low to mid price shops. The menue is large and the price is good. The staff don't really talk to you much but if you want water or coffee they are quick to take care of you. I will be back again.

Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Grand Buffet has a large selection if very good food. It is not gourmet, but very good. The service is wonderful.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

The Grand Buffet certainly wins top honors for the largest food selection and variety. The wait staff is very quick and vigilant, which is very nice. Unfortunately, the food isn't all that great. Maybe a notch or two below the quality of the food served at a good, local Chinese restaurant. The dishes, particularly the fried rice, General Tao chicken, etc. are not that great. The main draw is the all you can eat, quantity factor. They are also a bit stingy on the crab legs and will not bring out anything fresh until someone grabs up the last remaining remnants. They seem to use a lot of starch in just about everything to fill you up more quickly. I have had some small stomach discomforts almost every time after eating at these Grand Buffets, so I tend to not go as often and eat less. It's a good value for the inexpensive charge but you get what you pay for.

1  Thank EvilCraig