“Fried food heaven in a diner like atmosphere”

Ray's Seafood Market
Ranked #4 of 69 Restaurants in Essex
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Milton
“Fried food heaven in a diner like atmosphere”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Ray's is more like a diner than a restaurant. That seems to be acceptable to its clientele. They always seem to have a crowd. We tried the place on a lark and went back again to give it another shot. My wife had the lobster roll at $12.95 both times. Pretty expensive and the roll had more filling than lobster. She was disappointed. I had the fried clam dinner. One time I had the bellies; yuck. How can people eat those. (I didn't know what I was getting into). Our second time, I had the strips. They were better but a platter is $18.99; pretty expensive. It comes with a huge amount amount of fries. The fries were decent but I regretted them the moment we finished the meal. Grand fried gluttony! The plastic knifes and forks are an indication of the kind of place it is. In defense of Ray's, it does have a large selection of seafood dishes and it does have a large selection of fresh seafood. Just don't think of Ray's as a restaurant.

• Visited September 2013

Vermont
“When you don't have time to drive to Maine, go to Ray's!”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We're locals and we have been to Ray's many times with our most recent visit being last weekend. Ray's offers good food in a casual no-frills atmosphere. There is no fancy view here, it's all about the fresh seafood. When dining at Ray's you first order at the register and then find your own seat. Much of the seating is "booth" style. When your number is called you go pick up your food which is on paper plates on a cafeteria tray. We typically both get the "mate" size (mate is the smaller size) fried seafood plate (they do offer non-fried dinners as well). I get clam strips and my husband gets shrimp. The meal comes with the fried seafood, a small container of coleslaw, and a choice of rice, baked potato, or fried potato wedges. You also get a roll and butter. If you order fountain soda it's self-serve. That might not sound like a lot but believe me, it is plenty. I usually cannot finish mine. When you're done eating, you bus your own table. Overall Ray's is a good meal for a good value and we leave full and happy. When you don't have time to drive to Maine, go to Ray's!

• Visited September 2013
Ohio
“Great meal”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed at the Handy Suites and they recommended we try Ray's. What a great place! We had the fish fry. I had the regular portion and my husband got the larger size. The regular size was more than enough. We got way more food than we could eat, but that isn't a complaint, just a warning not to let your eyes get bigger than your stomach. I wish we lived closer. Ray's would be one of my regular eating places.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank tripnavvy
Attleboro, Massachusetts
“Real Good Seafood”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Fresh seafood at a great price. eat in or take out. Nothing fancy but not shabby just a good place with fresh food.

Visited August 2013
Lincoln, VT
“Good Place For Your Seafood Cravings”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We go to Ray's Seafood a few times a year. The seafood is fresh, and you can get a good meal at a reasonable price. The diner is nothing fancy, it actually feels like you have gone back in time to the 60's, which makes it a little more fun.

• Visited August 2013