“Nice Place”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Essex
Syracuse, New York
“Nice Place”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We have stayed at Handy Suites in Essex Junction (there are 2) This last stay was just my husband and I. We had a King size bed in a bedroom, TV,dresser, walk in closet. Living room-fold out sofa, desk, tv. Full kitchen: dish washer, full stove with oven, good size fridge. Large bathroom. I understand they are in the process of updating furniture. Staff was always helpful, and smiling. Yes, there is really a 45 foot water slide at the indoor pool. Pool needs some attention, and the water was chilling for .....us ......"older" folks. We will stay again if we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelRepresentative1, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area, responded to this review, 21 November 2014
Thank you for your kind remarks. We are so happy to know that you visit us often. We have indeed been upgrading and are actually adding rooms! When you referred to us "older" folks, my mom thinks 82 degrees for a pool is toooo cold as well :).
We certainly appreciate your visit and hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Holliston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The hotel was clean, the staff pleasant and the rooms spacious. The value of the room was good as well. We had a full kitchen, living area and a huge bedroom with king size bed and walk in closet. When we checked in we were told the bed was just upgraded from queen to king with super comfortable mattresses. The bed was terribly hard. Both my husband and I woke up with very sore backs. Christina, the Manager was super helpful and courteous. The continental breakfast was minimal. I am hoping the mattresses "soften up" a little as time goes on or this hotel is for those who really like the feeling of sleeping on a board. We won't avoid the hotel if we get that way again, but will ask to inspect the room before settling in. It is a convenient location and easy to find!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathleen P
Thank you for your insight. Everyone has a preference for mattresses, and we do think they are super comfortable. We do still have some queen beds in certain rooms with different amenities that are much softer. Just ask for the manager to reserve one of those suites.
As we do have full kitchens with domestic appliances, many people choose to cook breakfast in their suites. Our Continental Breakfast with English muffins & bread for toasting, pastries, fruit. juice, coffee & tea is a "day starter", and there are many area restaurants that serve full breakfasts, we are happy help with directions. Again, thank you for your visit and we hope to see you again.
El Paso, Spain
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I came from El Paso, TX and even though it was after the Hotel was closed, Christina, the manager , waited for me and cheerfully assisted me in getting settled into my room. My room was certainly large enough for me and it was very clean. Throughout my stay, everyone went out of their way to help me. I am very happy I selected Handy Suites and would certainly stay here when I come back. My thanks to everyone for a great job!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
THANK YOU for your kind words. We have a really great team. I hope that you will visit again.
Brattleboro, Vermont
Reviewed 17 June 2014

When it is graduation time, you often have to grab any room you can. We ended up at Handy Suites which definitely needs some updating but the rooms are incredibly spacious. My room had a full kitchen, a large walk in closet and a large separate bedroom and living room with 2 TV's. The staff was very friendly and even though it was Saturday night it was really quiet. On the negative side, the pull out couches are awfully uncomfortable and the free breakfast is minimal. It is not a charming hotel but certainly was fine in a pinch.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your input. We are listening and improving, expanding even! We have refurbished & renovated. Our staff strives for the Best customer care and are grateful for comments like yours. I hope that you will visit us again.
cavendish
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at the Handy Suits because my son was wrestling in a tournament in Essex. The rooms are very run down. The pull out beds have springs sticking up...Literally. While sitting in the chair in the kitchen the whole back of it broke out!
The manager, Christina, was literally screaming at my children and others in the hallway. To her surprise I was just a fee steps behind the boys with other parents as well. She was extremely mean to the boys and rude to us adults.
At continental breakfast: They apparently rent rooms out to local low life's so there were people filling up baby bottles with juice and making breakfast with nothing on but tiny tank tops and bearing it all! They acted like they were getting food from their kitchen, as they do live there. There was one large container of peanut butter for everyone to share. I know after other people have had their fingers in the peanut butter, the last thing I want to do is put it on my toast!!!

There were so many people hanging around the property that I would say looked very questionable. I defiantly didn't like the idea of having my kids around these people. Another wrestling family that went the same night woke up with pink eye. I believe from the dirtiness of the bedding!

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank oceangirl272009
HotelRepresentative1, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
We do respectfully appreciate all comments from our guests. With apologies that our hotel was not the right fit for your family and the others with the wrestling tournament, there are several things that we would like to clarify: Primarily our guests do not Live in the hotel. They are short term guests. There are signs prominently posted in the lobby that say "shirt & shoes required" but yes, sometimes people come down in the morning in pajamas. We have replaced the jar of peanut butter with individual packaging. Thank you & others for your input.
In addition, we have recently updated our furnishings including the sofabeds.
We are proud of our hotel that has brought us accolades and awards. As the manager, I am personally sorry that your experience was negative and I hope that you will give us an opportunity to show you a better one.
Bellingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Went for a long weekend, Granddaughter was playing in the U12 Regional Girls Hockey tournament in Burlington March 20th thru March 23rd. We had 2 Suites, both were very clean and gave us plenty of room to enjoy our none rink time!! Children loved the pool slide, (including the oldest children, father and grandfather) Cost was a good $25.00 less per night then other family's who stayed some where else for the weekend. They had typical hotel room while we enjoyed separate bedrooms, full kitchen, and good size sitting area even if you don't plan on cooking it is great to have the options to keep snacks and drinks with a kitchen and dining table to use. Bed was not the best, but have stayed at higher end hotels who's beds were so uncomfortable I couldn't sleep! Front desk staff was very friendly and service was good. If in the area again will stay again.

Room Tip: ask for top floors this way you don't get over head noise from other rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
HotelRepresentative1, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for your review of our Suites! We appreciate your comments about our terrific staff; our housekeepers are quite proud of the rooms they clean, too. Our beds, you are right, were aging a bit, but we are replacing furniture now and will soon have a King bed in the bedroom! We do look forward to seeing you again and wish your daughter all the best with her hockey.
Queensbury, NY
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The suite was very comfortable and so spacious. The breakfast is extremely, very extremely basic, but there was a breakfast. The staff was very nice and helpful. The pool slide was so much fun! One thing I would say is that the rust needs to be taken care of on the pool. Other than that I would recommend this place...very nice

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank joepam
HotelRepresentative1, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
We are very happy that you enjoyed your visit and we thank you for staying. Because the pool has a stainless steel lining, we have been suffering a bit of rust at the connecting seams and we are working hard to cure that. As each suite has a full kitchen, our breakfast is fairly limited; we try to get your day started! (There is a really great bagel market across the street too!) We look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Essex
The Essex, Vermont's Culinary Resort & Spa
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Hampton Inn Burlington
Hampton Inn Burlington
#1 of 5 in Colchester
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Quality Inn Colchester / Burlington

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Essex Burlington Area? Share your experiences!