“Wonderful Facility, Wonderful Staff”

Inn At Buck Hollow Farm
Ranked #1 of 2 Fairfax B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed at Buckhollow in the winter and it was a fantastic experience. The location is a bit off the beaten path but we had no trouble finding it and this only adds to the tranquility of the experience. Its a comfortable and cosy building with the warmth of the lodgings only surpassed by the warmth of the staff. We made new friends over breakfast and in the common area and felt instantly at home. The breakfasts were varied and delicious and we made good use of their outdoor hot tub. All in all a great experience. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: They were all nice. You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alnoormaherali

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Three friends and I booked two rooms at this B and B as we were in Fairfax visiting family and friends for the weekend. My friend booked the rooms through a site called airbnb as she is a member. She booked one room for one adult and the suite room for three adults.

We arrived around 7pm and found notes left for us directing us to our room and how to get in...no problem. We found our way, dropped off our bags, and left for our destination. We returned around 11pm and realized that the futon was not made up in the suite and there were no sheets/blankets to be found. I went searching through the inn and found some linen closets and found some sheets/blankets for our 3rd person...they weren't the right size but it was late and it wasn't that huge a deal. Brad later told us that he was not informed of three people staying in that room. Again, not a big deal.

We found the rooms to be clean and nicely decorated. Plenty of hot water and the property was very charming and rustic.

At breakfast the next morning, I was glad to find out that a special gluten-free meal of eggs was available for me. Food was good. However during our meal, another couple from Israel joined us. English appeared to be their second language. Brad notified them that pancakes were for breakfast with a choice of meat. I don't think the woman from Israel heard him as there was a lot of talking. He served her pancakes and she made a comment that she didn't care for pancakes. This prompted what I consider a very inappropriate speech from both Brad and Jacquie about how they are not short-order cooks, how they cannot make everybody happy, etc.

Seriously?

The woman seemed upset and I couldn't blame her. All that needed to be done was for the owners to reiterate the menu.

This attitude continued during our stay. My friend was checking out with Brad and to make a very long story short, her airbandb rate was NOT honored. We ended up paying more for the stay...keeping in mind that she had ALREADY paid airbandb. She paid the difference after trying to reason with him for what seemed like an eternity. I overheard the conversation from another room and finally came in. Brad was argumentative and was condescending to my friend when he saw her receipt from airbandb about the service charge she paid airbandb. She explained to him that she is a member of this program and that the she uses it to continue earning discounts on subsequent reservations. He just didn't want to hear anything about that and really gave her a hard time. Very inappropriate since what she does with her money and how she chooses to book a room are HER decision. She handled it much better than I would have and she is going to follow up with airbnb.

We are four friends/family members who are very easygoing, and all four of us had an issue individually at one point or another and everything felt like a struggle with these owners. We are all adults in our 40's and 50's and did not appreciate the condescending attitude we saw exhibited.

I read through some of the not-so-favorable reviews when I got home and from what I read, we are not alone. I also expect that I will receive some type of defensive response from the owners as I read one in response to a review that a woman did on TripAdvisor last year. It's too bad, it's really a great little place, but next time, I will be at the other B and B in town.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Christine M
vt-innkeeper, Owner at Inn At Buck Hollow Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Unfortunately, people hear what they want to here. There had never been an issue with her friend about the rate. When she reserved through Air B and B, she reserved the suite which was not the same rate as the other three rooms. She was aware of it and I wrote her on July 30 indicating she could pay the difference here. That's what she paid - and all she paid. The "lecture" was nothing more than giving her some information about these on line reservations sites, and showing her how she actually pays more than reserving directly with the inn.

Her impression about the Israelis simply was off base. They were delighted with their stay, left a generous tip for our staff and left giving hugs and kisses.

Ironic that another review was posted the same day. It speaks for itself.

I hope this is factual rather than defensive.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

My partner and I had a wonderful stay at Buck Hollow. The owners were incredibly nice and accommodating. I have a number of allergies (including cats) and we both have some dietary restrictions. We had no trouble at all. The dogs were high strung and active but did not bother us in the least, and the cat dander didn't bother me much, which means the place was kept quite clean. Brad was really good about telling us where to go in Burlington and gave us the names of some great restaurants. He also started the fire in the common room right when we requested it. The manager was so sweet; I had some great conversations with her. The room was comfortable, the temperature was totally fine, and the place is idyllic. All in all, wonderful atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We have just returned from a fabulous 6 night stay at Buck Hollow! We were in the area visiting family and found a home away from home with Jacquie and Brad. We had the two top floor rooms (we were 3 adults) and they were comfortable and just what we needed after a day at the family's lakeside cabin! The breakfasts were scrumptious and generous, just the thing to start the day!
We enjoyed all the family pets and were serenaded at night by owls....such a lovely setting in the Vermont countryside. We also loved the inn's pottery mugs and came home with 4 in different colours. We also met some lovely people there, the chat around the breakfast table was always great.
The guest lounge was very comfortable and well stocked with nibbles and soft drinks.
We would most definitely return to Buck Hollow!! Thanks to Jacquie and Brad for making us feel so welcome......Lesley, Gord and Ellie

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The inn was very clean, and the bed was comfortable. Three of us shared a room after a Discovery Bike tour. The Yellow Room was advertised to be suitable for 3 people and we knew 2 of us would have to share the queen bed. We were not prepared for the foam mattress on the floor, not even made up. The room was small but comfortable. Staying at this inn allowed us a chance to see a different part of Vermont, the common living room was quaint and very comfortable.

Two disappointments--first, the inn stated they had a hot tub. However, when we asked about it, the innkeeper pointed it out and stated it was covered. She said we could use it but made no explanation of what to do with the cover or how to turn it on. Second, the inn advertised paths on its 400 acres. When we asked about this, the innkeeper pointed vaguely at the property beyond her yard, and indicated we could walk but told us we probably didn't want to because of bugs. In both cases, she made little effort to assist us with this recreational activities so we didn't pursue them.

The breakfast was well prepared and the cook very friendly. A reasonable place to visit. However, if you visit with an interest in hiking, you may wish to ring them and get the details before booking,

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the foliage room, was confortable, clean and cozy (king bed) as other B&B They don't offer you cheese and wine, only coffee in the afternoon.
The owners wasn't there, only two fantastic ladies with really good customer service and manners.
We are pet lovers, so the dog and cats wasn't a problem for us.
Good breakfast, but nothing out of this world. First and last.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Maria C
Reviewed 14 February 2014

My first impression of this bed and breakfast was this place is very Vermont. I loved it. It is located in the farm. My room view was the barn.

We arrived late in the evening. Our room was at the second floor. The room was spacious with a bathroom in it.

The bed and mattress was very cozy. I had a very good sleep.

Unfortunately I couldn't taste the breakfast, because I always went out early before the breakfast was served. My fault.

I checked out early, and I met Jacquaie, the owner. She walks her dog out.

Overall, it is a very nice place to stay in Fairfax.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairfax
Smuggler's Notch Inn
Smuggler's Notch Inn
#2 of 3 in Jeffersonville
Smugglers' Notch Resort
Smugglers' Notch Resort
#1 of 2 in Jeffersonville
The Inn At Grace Farm B&B

Been to Inn At Buck Hollow Farm? Share your experiences!