“beautiful family inn”
Review of Lake Morey Resort

Lake Morey Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Fairlee B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We had a lovely room with a view of the length of the lake. The room was spotless & well decorated. The bed was comfortable. As much as the view & the cozy room we enjoyed our dinner in the on sight restaurant. The meals were of a high quality, well prepared, in an an environment with a not to be beaten view. We thought the food was very reasonably priced for a meal of this caliber. It was a perfect place for a quiet fall escape.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Glad you had a nice stay and hope to see you again.

Have a nice day,

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We enjoyed our stay but one needs to be prepared to visit a rustic inn. OUr floors were tilted a bit and the door was squared off with a gap under the door and there were visible pipes in the room for sprinklers. The lake was beautiful and dinner was very good. We thought the golf course was a C-. The greens were decent but the tees and fairways need help.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank staylor838
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Thanks for the review. I will speak to my brother (course superintendent) regarding the tees/fairways and investigate your concerns.

Enjoy your day,

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Just spent 3 days 3 nights at the Resort although the Resort may seem a bit dated don't let it fool you my bed was wonderful Marriot quality . 60 of us golfed, ate and had a great time. Parked our cars on Thursday night and had everything we needed within walking distance till Sunday. Staff very good! Meals very good! Golf very good! Weather perfect!!! Thank you ( Didn't use room service or Spa heard they were good)

Room Tip: Garden View rooms were very big and comfortable, had a second floor room looked out over front entra...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank KRich17
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

I am pleased your group had a wonderful stay. We greatly appreciated your patronage and were equally honored at your groups level of respect exhibited while at Lake Morey. We would love to see you again.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

GOOD

The entire staff was very friendly and accommodating.

There are so many great activities included in the price of your stay: canoeing, tennis, billiards etc.

Dinner was amazing! The chef went beyond what we expected. Succulent steak cooked to perfection, tasty and juicy shrimp. I love the addition of maple syrup to the butter and I’m still thinking about those dinner rolls. The drinks were great too! Try the Black Margarita or the Vermont Russian. We had breakfast at the nearby Fairlee diner. It was terribly overrated. The only thing we enjoyed was the blueberry pancakes. We should have tried the resort breakfast. There is another place nearby called North Woods Café in Bradford. If you must eat outside the hotel, I would recommend trying their breakfast first.

BAD

We received great dinner service on both nights. On night one we were served by Karen we and tipped her 20+ %. (Tipping on the full value of the dinner not just the total after subtracting our dinner voucher).On night two Suzanne gave us excellent service so we were appalled when she added the gratuity. We didn’t mention this to the server, but if this is the restaurant/resort policy it should be stated clearly on the menu. We are well aware of tipping procedure and proper percentages so we thought it was very tacky to have it added automatically when we were such a small party.

UGLY

We stayed in a deluxe lake front room. I’m sorry but there was nothing deluxe about it. The view of the lake was lovely. However, the rooms are very small, the furniture and finishing were outdated, the bathrooms are so small the average person can barely turn around and the shower pressure is so low it took forever to rinse the shower gel. Wifi is slow. We were surprised because there were not a lot of guests the weekend we stayed. For the most part, the rooms were very clean.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for a short weekend getaway. I would possibly come back but I'd have to be guaranteed a better room.

Room Tip: It's nice to have the lake view but the rooms are just too small. I have not segn the garden vie...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tara S

Tara,

The leaves are changing, mornings are cool, with winter on our doorstep. And with winter knocking, it's time to get amped for skiing- and what better way with an old school ski movie. You see, growing up in the 1980's we had Warren Miller and Greg Stump. Greg Stump was my choice, and with your review reminding me of one of his flicks, well I just can't help myself....

So a homage to the "Good, the Rad, and the Gnarly"; and everything about the late 1980's when skiing ruled my world and nothing else mattered.

The GOOD

I will let Geoff know of your complete satisfaction with your meals. Please give the Fairlee diner another chance. It's been an institution here in Fairlee; and while business seems to come and go along main street Fairlee, they have been a constant for decades. There is also another breakfast/lunch establishment on main street- The whistle stop cafe. Also very good.

The RAD

I have spoken with Michelle regarding a consistent gratuity procedure for Travelzoo reservations. It is our policy to add gratuity for these vouchers and we will ensure all future guests are aware of this. I apologize for the miscommunication, but do appreciate your comments as it serves as to immediately rectify our procedures.

The GNARLY

Trust me on this- we have so many rooms with different shapes and sizes that the term "cookie cutter hotel" does not apply. My Grandfather was responsible for much of the additions to this hotel, and he refused to include architects in his plans. The end result are rooms of varying sizes, some that encompass a tennis court to some that mirror a NYC hotel room- you may have had the later of the two. Though not aware of water pressure issues, I will investigate a correct if necessary.

So a thanks to Greg Stump and the G.the R.& the G for making snow so magical,

and a special Thank you for you for sharing your experience.

My Best,

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I'm a an annual visitor and a very satisfied customer once again. I visit as part of a golfing group, and had an excellent visit again. The terrace rooms are a perfect spot to relax while watching the loons on the lake (and commonly an Sat afternoon wedding). The weather was perfect as well, and that always makes the golfing fun. The meals were terrific - lobster bisque was particular good. My only complaint was the band Friday evening. Not of the usual quality, but those can be iffy. Thanks again to the Avery family for a wonderful getaway!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Susan,

I am pleased you once again had a wonderful stay. I agree with the lobster bisque- had two bowls that evening! My evening shift begins with a soup- if it's Cream of Mushroom or Minestrone- going to be a long cranky night. If its a cold soup (perhaps Gazpacho)- just going to call in sick. But the lobster bisque- nothing but peaches and cream all evening.

Have a great day,

Reviewed 30 August 2013

A hidden gold mine in the mountains of northern vermont on a nice quiet lake. The last of the old family run resorts that do not penny pinch you to use boats, bikes and other recreational activities at the resort. They have a kids camp that our children loved, movies every night for the kids at 7:00 and an adult movie at 9 pm or entertainment in their bar area. The terrace rooms are nice and roomy and my favorite of all their room options because of the terraces that you sit on and enjoy the view of the lake. my dad is 83 years old and after a round of golf, he spends the rest of the afternoons on the terrace napping or reading a book.The golf course is top notch and the staff are very friendly and accommodating. We have been vacationing here for over two generations and we continue to come back.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Vacationdmd
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

My idea of revenue management is to pay the bills, and see what is left over. Overly simplistic perhaps, but what I've learned as a third generation Innkeeper is quite simple- embrace all who come through the doors, and the rest will take care of itself.

Hope to see your third generation enjoy Lake Morey, and it the meantime...

I will continue mining for elusive gold nuggets; but lets not keep it so hidden.

Thanks,

Reviewed 27 August 2013

My husband and I, plus our 17 yr old son stayed at this resort for four days in August. After researching quite a few places to stay in Vermont where we could affordably have a nice relaxing and stress free time, we decided on this resort and we weren't disappointed! We didn't play golf ( although the course looked beautiful), however, we did enjoy the other numerous activities, and my husband and son especially loved the kayaking. One day we were just sitting on the patio overlooking the lake and a bald eagle swooped down, caught a fish then flew off right in front of us, beautiful sight! I have to confess that the day it rained non stop I had a lovely peaceful time all by myself just sitting in the lounge looking out over the lake knitting, (yikes I sound like a Grandma and I'm not one lol). I found the suite we stayed in to be very nice, and very clean. I do wish there had been a coffee maker, but we brought a mini electric kettle so I could make some instant (I need coffee the MINUTE I wake up), the fridge was nice to have though. As far as the food goes, it was delicious, and my compliments to the chef, he is a definite keeper! The only drawback I would say is that there is really nothing around in the IMMEDIATE area. However, we did take a little trip (about half an hour) to Quechee Gorge village where there is a large antique barn, toy museum, Cabot cheesery, and a couple other little stores. Plus, we also took a trip to Hanover (Dartmouth College town) and the quaint little town of Woodstock. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Gillian D

I'm pleased you had a relaxing, enjoyable stay. Our resident Bald Eagles are a sight to behold- majestic and proud. Your perceptions of our Chef are spot-on, and will be sure to relay your experience.
Nothing around in the immediate area?- Thinking, Thinking, stiiiillll Thinking-give me a couple months and I will come up with something.

Hope to see you again,

Mark Avery

(I believe I will forever be disbarred from our local chamber of commerce)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlee
The Lyme Inn
Residence Inn by Marriott Hanover Lebanon
Element Hanover-Lebanon
Courtyard Hanover Lebanon
Fairfield Inn & Suites White River Junction
Fairfield Inn & Suites White Riv...
#4 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Lake Morey Resort? Share your experiences!