“A far cry from the Woodstock Inn”
Review of Lake Morey Resort

Lake Morey Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Fairlee B&B and Inns
“A far cry from the Woodstock Inn”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We used to stay at the Woodstock Inn for long weekends where my husband and son would play the golf course while I relaxed by the pool, shopped around town, or visited the spa. Now that is a resort of the highest calibre. My expectations for Lake Morey Resort were certainly not this high, so when a business colleague gifted me with a golf & meal weekend package for 2, I was happy for the opportunity to visit my favorite nearby getaway state for minimal cost. Upon arrival, there was no assistance with baggage as one would expect at anyplace other than a motel. A resort should absolutely have a doorman, baggage assistance and someone to show you the amenities of the room. While my husband played the lovely 18-hole course, I enjoyed the best meal I had at the resort - a Caprese sandwich with crunchy French fries and iced tea in the lounge, all for the very most price of $8.72 + tip. That was the only expense incurred during our stay, as I brought my own bottle of Knob Creek to enjoy in our room and avoid the drunken golfers at the bar.

Speaking of drunken golfers, that's half of what killed our dinner on the first night. Unfortunately, our weekend coincided with a golf junket of the most unruly, loud-mouthed boors who raised the noise level in the dining room beyond any semblance of civility. The requested dress code was a joke, as several of these guys were in shorts, flip flops, and still had their caps on. Totally lacking in decorum. The food, once it finally arrived, was revolting. Shrimp cocktail - 3 shrimp and a piece of cucumber filled with cocktail sauce. Salad - a baby portion thrown on the plate. My entree of haddock was laughable - the size of a matchbook - no exaggeration - accompanied by an ice cream scoop of "mashed" (more like petrified) potatoes and halfway decent asparagus. One look at the plate and I said, "you've got to be kidding." Our waitress said "that's the portion." I refused to accept this. She took and the plate and returned with an additional matchbook sized piece added. It was dried out, overcooked, just plain awful. I recall better meals in my high school cafeteria.

The dining room itself was like the basement of a VFW post. White tablecloths and crisp napkins could not offset the bad food, the chintzy silverware (tinware is more like it), and general feeling of dining in a mess hall.

Breakfast at least was less crowded as the golfers slept off their hangovers, but nothing spectacular. Some smoked salmon would have rasied the bar above the usual eggs, brekfast meats, cold items, and fruit.

One look at the buffet dinner menu for Saturday night while my husband played golf, and I made a dinner reservation at Simon Pearce, where we enjoyed superb cuisine served on pottery dinnerware and blown glass barware made on site. The ride mack to Lake Morey on dark and winding 91 North reminded us that we'd never driven the VT highays at night. A hairy experience, but well worth it for the elegant dinner.

While the lake is lovely, there really is no quiet place to just sit and enjoy it. There's noise everywhere, and part of this was the clientele oblivious to the need for peaceful enjoyment by their fellow guests.

Had I been paying full fare for this getaway, would have been livid - checked out and demanded a refund and driven up to the Kedron Valley Inn.

Not a place I'd stay on my own dime.

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor as far from the lounge as possible. We had room 160 - nice lake view, far...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RBJordan
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Read and acknowledged.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Boston, MA
Reviewed 5 August 2014

this was a very nice resort. The grounds are beautiful. Its very relaxing to walk around the flower gardens in the front of the facility and have some food and drinks on a table on the patio overlooking the lake. The service was very good - everyone who worked there seemed very nice. renting a kayak for family boat trips on the lake was a fun activity. Movie night was also a lot of fun. The negative is the rooms and hallways need updating.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. The original building was built in 1905 and has since spread east/west with various additions over the decades. Though we have 100 years of character, this spry lady needs surgery at times; and each winter we grab our tools and freshen her up. Of course never losing her character/charm that comes with 100 years of Vermont proprietors.

Enjoy our remaining days of summer,

Meridian, Idaho
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

My wife found this place when planning our visit to the area and what a great discovery. We had the opportunity to reside in room 320 (I've posted a picture of the view from the window) for our amazing 4 days here. My kids were speechless when they walked in and my son, who wears nothing but t-shirts, stated "this is worth wearing polo shirts for dinner".
The staff was helpful, friendly and always available. My kids loved taking the paddle boards out on the lake and even our somewhat harrowing excursion on the pontoon boat tour was great, and another example of the staff's professionalism.
I must inform you this resort is a bit rough around the edges and if you are expecting seamless modern construction you will be disappointed. However don't let this scare you off. Yes the floors are a bit uneven and the closets and bathrooms are a bit small, but the resort was built 60+ years ago. Years of additions and subtractions have, in my opinion, just added character that is lacking in many of today's modern resorts.
Our only hiccup was with one evenings dinner service, it took a great deal of time for our food to come out, our drinks were infrequently refilled and the waitress brought our son's dinner (children's menu) with our appetizers, thus having him finished and bored before we ever saw our salads. This wasn't a systemic problem, as our dinner the next evening had no issues.
Overall our experience was fantastic and we will definitely be staying here again in the future.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Charles B
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
It sure was quite the thunderstorm that swept over the lake during your excursion. Parking the boat in 40 mph winds is nearly impossible, hence the necessity of a few extra employees to hold it in place. My apologies over the dinner service- certainly not our intention, but will be addressed/corrected.
I'm pleased to see you are returning, so until then...

Newmarket, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The resort was clean and the gardens were just beautiful There was plenty to do onsite and the location made it easy to take some great day trips too. We kayaked and tried paddle boarding. The spa gave a wonderful massage. I can't wait to come back!

Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were two older couples looking for a lovely place to relax and spend time together and we certainly found it. We enjoyed each other's company sitting by the beautiful lake, also enjoyed wonderful hiking trails, canoeing, kyaking, swimming, ping pong, some terrific restaurants nearby. It was interesting to also notice families with young kids having a great time, a beautiful golf course that was well used, a business convention for some kind of tech company - everyone seamlessly sharing the same generously appointed spaces. We opted to pay more for a lakeview - delightful! Helpful staff. Two minor quirks - teeny little closets for hanging clothes, some towels that were really worn and frayed - have never seen that before!

Room Tip: lakeview room was smaller, more expensive but worth it; gardenview room had separate living room and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Trust me on this one, we work very hard to make sure all varieties of guests seamlessly enjoy the Resort. It certainly can be a challenge but in large part we accomplish the task at hand.

Lets discuss the frayed towels in the past tense- Housekeeping is in process of removing these few from circulation and retiring them to cotton acres, a place of solitude where all retired towels are free to dangle from the golden clothes line in a perpetual spring breeze infused with lovely scents of lavender.

Just as no two rooms are alike at Lake Morey, the same is true for closets. Just another of our quirks. I could name many more, but it's a secret that lies here at Lake Morey....

Many thanks,

Amherst, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I had never heard of this place before I googled "lakeside resort New England". I'm so glad we found it! We had a wonderful 5 day stay over the holiday weekend. While the weather was not perfect, the rain only interfered in our plans the first afternoon we arrived so we played ping pong and shot pool. We were able to bike and kayak the next 4 days plus just hanging out relaxing by the lake. The lake itself is absolutely gorgeous and I could have looked at it forever. We had a lake view terrace room which not only had the incredible view but also was very large and spacious. Plus we had the perfect view for some of the best fireworks we've ever seen. The staff was very friendly and helpful . The food was good although we only ate there for dinner. We have already made our reservation for next year and cannot wait to return!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Oh, but wait until next years fireworks- I have a surprise up my sleeve! Did you happen to partake in the July 4th parade? If not, I'm sure you heard our float as it toured the hotel grounds. Other than the strongest thunderstorm cell I have ever witnessed that passed overhead on the 3rd, the weather was pretty cooperative. Glad you are returning next year...

Until then,

Mark A.
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

My family just spent two nights at the Morey Lake Resort. We were so impressed with the owners' hospitality. The hotel, while older, had very nice accommodations. We loved the peaceful atmosphere and we felt like we were stepping back in time. The scenery and grounds were beautiful! We truly enjoyed using the kayaks, paddle boards, canoes, and bikes, all of which were included with our stay. Several activities were offered throughout the day; tours of the lake, campfires and family movies outside. We didn't get a chance to golf or play tennis, but we did enjoy some ping pong and putting competitions!

As a result of the resort's close proximity to Dartmouth College, we were able to tour the campus and enjoy the culture of Hanover, NH. It was a beautiful town and it was well worth the 15 minute drive.

We also visited the Farm Way store in Bradford and Fairlee's own
Whippi-Dip Snack Bar!

We hope to come back again next summer!

• Stayed June 2014
Mark A, Owner at Lake Morey Resort, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay here at Lake Morey. My son asks me everyday if he can go to the whippy dip (or as i call it, the whippity dippity) It has been a Fairlee institution for over 50 years.
Hope to see you again,

Mark
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlee
The Lyme Inn
Six South St Hotel
Six South St Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hanover
Breakfast on the Connecticut

Been to Lake Morey Resort? Share your experiences!