“The Perfect New England Inn”

Silver Maple Lodge & Cottages
Ranked #2 of 2 Fairlee B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 September 2011

My boyfriend and I spent 4 blissful nights in one of the dog friendly cottages with working fireplace. The owner was very accommodating when I changed my reservation the day before to another cottage that included a kitchenette. He was also very understanding and affable when I told him that our puppy had thrown up on the bedding - that we had washed the covers and one of them had developed a hole. He did not charge us for replacing the comforter after I offered to pay for the damages. Throughout the entire stay he was very genial and helpful.

The cottage arrangement could not have been better suited for our needs. It was cute, spacious and clean. The wood paneling was lovely as was the ability to make a fire every evening. We loved being able to come and go as we pleased without having to tromp through the house and awkwardly running into other guests. We chose this inn specifically because of the lack of strict pet policies. We were able to keep the puppy in the room some days with no worries. And we chose a cottage for privacy. Mission accomplished! I really enjoyed the sense of camping in the woods in a cabin.

Breakfast was scanty but we figured out by the second day that we could enjoy a delicious breakfast down the road at the local diner. With room prices so affordable we did not mind having to pay for breakfast.

The traffic noises took a little getting used to the first night but being from NYC this did not really bother us at all. By the second night we were sleeping like babies without a care in the world.

All in all we would highly recommend this inn for travelers who want to experience Vermont at an authentic rustic inn.

Room Tip: Didn't stay in the main house. Highly recommend renting a cottage.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 2ArtistsInNY
There are newer reviews for Silver Maple Lodge & Cottages

Reviewed 8 August 2011

As others have said, the owner is very friendly and personable. The grounds are quite pretty and pastoral.
We had rooms in the main house as well as one of the cottages. The rooms in the main house were very old, but clean. The floors are painted wood and kept clean. The bathroom was old (cracked toilet), but clean. The sheets were clean. But the wallpaper was peeling and the rooms were very hot--no AC and there was a faint musty smell.
We could not stay in or use the main rooms downstairs because of the intense musty odor--way behond the smell of an old farmhouse--extremely unpleasant! Definitely couldn't even think about sitting on the old, over-stuffed couches. Thank goodness there was a wrap-around screen porch where we could sit in adirondack chairs.
The cabins have dark wood paneling with old indoor/outdoor carpeting on the floor and smelled of gas from the wall heater. But they do have AC.
Breakfast.....you're better off driving to the corner store down the road. Coffe not great, and packaged little cinnamon rolls and donut balls.
If you're a light sleeper, this might not work for you as Interstate 91 is directly behind the property and Rt 5 (very busy--traffic 24/7) is directly in front of the property. Lots of traffic noise!

Room Tip: rooms in main house are lighter, brighter and cleaner than the cabins-but the musty smell is objecti...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank BMG60
Reviewed 27 July 2011

The room was fine, clean and neat. The owner is very friendly and helpful. The first floor has a musty odor. In the winter it would be great with a fire going. Breakfast is very minimal, bought rolls and the decaf coffee was instant!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 July 2011

There was a lot wrong with this place, but there was one thing that was right: the owner was very helpful and friendly. Also the room was small, but comfortable and we had a bathroom right next door.
That being said, they need to air out the downstairs, which smelled very musty. Dead plants in the parlor did not add to the ambiance. Even though the inn looks like it's in the country, the interstate runs right behind it, so traffic noise was nonstop all night. No TV, but that's not important or expected in a B & B. (Except to drown out the traffic noise!) The bathroom was cramped. Not a problem for me, but my 6' 1" husband was not happy. Finally, the breakfast was the most meager I've had in an inn. The homemade cinnamon buns were very good, but that was it for food to go with the juice and coffee. I'd stay here again in a pinch, but only if there were no other vacancies in the area. And I'd definitely bring earplugs.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Minimainer
Reviewed 7 July 2010

The continental breakfast is packaged rolls and coffee. The inn is bordered by the interstate and state rte 5. More seriously, a considerable amount of cash disappeared from my wallet while I was in the (shared) shower of the lodge. While the rooms have no locks, this was strange as there was only one other guest (whom I got to know) in my wing of the lodge.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank vputin
Reviewed 30 March 2010

The owner, Scott, couldn't have been more gracious & accommodating. We stayed in cottage, w/ dog, who was welcomed! It was immaculate & fine. it is NE, isn't meant to be grand. Sure I-91 is close! Bring some earplugs,if so sensitive! At the fine, cost-value, what does one expect! Breakfast was basic & OK to get you thru to fine places in area! It is centrally & conveniently located to CRValley. From what I saw, thru out the area, you simply couldn't do, any better for value & hospitality. There is a dump up the road, for those that want nostalgia w/ drive-in!! Good job, Scott, you made our stay a pleasure!! JHM

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RoswellAnneMurray
Reviewed 19 March 2010

The cottages located on this property sit right beside I-91, a major highway. The noise at night of the 18 wheelers made sleeping impossible. The room was only so-so as far as cleanliness. I would not stay here again! This was not part of the rustic Vt. holiday I was looking for.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairlee
The Lyme Inn
#1 of 8 in White River Junction
Hotel Coolidge
Hotel Coolidge
#2 of 8 in White River Junction

Been to Silver Maple Lodge & Cottages? Share your experiences!