“magical step back in time”
Review of Grafton Inn

Grafton Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Grafton
Reviewed 4 March 2013

200 year old property is something that lives and breathes, has personality and life of its own. loved the peace and quiet, no tv is a wonderful thing...finished a whole book that I have been putting off! After a visit to london where my husband and I were fortunate enough to have enjoyed Michelin star dining in a very posh boutique hotel (st. james hotel and club) we found the dinner in the "tavern" to be every bit as wonderful and gourmet! (just at a third the price!) This is a jewel of a property and hopefully it will endure another 200 years more!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Richard A

Reviewed 27 February 2013

My partner and I stayed at the inn recently for a weekend outdoor winter getaway and found it to be a lovely spot that made you feel like you were stepping back in time. While a few aspects of the facility need some updating, overall it was a very comfortable stay. The wall to our room that led to the hallway was a bit thin so we could hear talking in the hall but it was not necessarily bothersome as there were not many guests staying in our cottage. The sheets are luxurious, the service was excellent and the food at the inn was delicious - I had one of the best pasta dishes with wild mushrooms one night, accompanied by a very nice wine (their wine list is excellent for such a small place). The Grafton Ponds outdoor center is associated with the inn and has fantastic cross country skiing trails, snowshoeing, sledding and ice skating - don't miss it!

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jewelross
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We love staying at the Grafton Inn, Old Tavern. We have spent every President's Weekend here for more than 12 years. The inn is historic, dates back to 1801. There are beautiful antiques everywhere. Check out the houses owned by the inn. These are great value for families or groups traveling together. They have full kitchens, several bedrooms and bathrooms. Your stay at the inn includes winter sports privileges at Grafton Pond. The dinner in the inn is outstanding! Elegantly served. Breakfast is normally delicious, however this year they served breakfast two days as a buffet. This was not good, the food was cold and the selection was limited. That is my only complaint and sadly why I did not give Grafton Inn 5 stars. This is the first time this has happened in all of the years we have been staying here. Hopefully they will decide to not serve breakfast again as a buffet.

Room Tip: If you are a group or family traveling together choose one of the houses owned by the inn.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen N
Reviewed 21 February 2013

This was our first time at the Inn where we met a family of five on their third visit who had already booked ahead for 2014. I understand why. Our room was enormous with two double beds plus breakfast at a bargain midweek rate ($99/night). A few minutes down the road Grafton Ponds Nordic ski center offers beginners (that would be me; Betsy was my brilliant instructor) or experts splendid trails and equipment rental. Seven miles away is the town of Chester; don't miss the Vermont Institute of Contemporary Arts or Misty Valley Books and then stop for lunch at Moon Dog Cafe, all within easy walking distance of one another.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2013

My wife and I couldn't think of a better place to spend our 25th wedding anniversary! We spent our 20th there and G-d willing, will spend our 30th there.

We had some dietary restrictions this time around and contacted the innkeepers ahead of time. The chef arranged a menu for our anniversary dinner that fit our restrictions perfectly.

I'm somewhat disappointed that they are remodeling the loft in the Phelps Barn. It was a great place to sit, relax and watch a little TV (there are only two or three we know of in the entire place). That sitting area is evidently going away.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2013

Time away with my married daughter before the hectic Christmas holiday! The Inn is quaint and absolutely beautiful; exquisitely appointed rooms. We felt very pampered. The town is lovely. I will definitely return to explore more of the area and make sure I have time for "Phelps Barn" and local activities.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My wife and I settled upon the Grafton Inn after searching extensively for a hotel/inn that could accommodate the two of us and our 12 year old son. (Most B&Bs sleep two) We had to pay an additional $45 for the additional guest but the stay included breakfast and cross country ski passes to the Grafton Ponds ski center. Our experience was well worth the price. The staff was very cordial and the restaurant top notch. Not what you would expect in a quaint village such as this. We enjoyed our stay so much, we plan on coming back this summer.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank don g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grafton
Kimpton Taconic Hotel
Chesterfield Inn
#1 of 2 in West Chesterfield
The Reluctant Panther Inn & Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Springfield

Been to Grafton Inn? Share your experiences!