“Absolutely blown away!! Like no other place I've visited.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highgate Springs
Tyler Place Family Resort
Marietta, Georgia
“Absolutely blown away!! Like no other place I've visited.”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Tyler Place Resort has completely changed my view of what a family vacation can be. Our family just got home today, and I'm not sure who was sadder to leave--the kids or myself and my husband!

From the outstanding activities (for kids and adults), to the delicious (and HEALTHY!...and lots of vegan/vegetarian) food, to the friendly staff (I mean, I've never seen so many polite, conversant 20-somethings who truly seemed to enjoy hanging out with a bunch of 30- and 40-year-old parents, plus their kids), to the fabulous weather (ahhh...what a relief from the sticky Georgia heat), to the friendly returning guests who made a beeline for the "newbies" (who only constitute about 1/3 of the guests) to make them feel welcome...we were truly running to the front desk to sign up again next year.

I am a pretty picky traveler--it takes a lot for me to dole out the 5-star reviews--but the TP absolutely blew me away. Coming from someone who loves Disney Cruises...our whole family agreed that the TP was better, and if you've been on a Disney Cruise, you know the high standard that they maintain in every aspect. (Plus, the TP is way cheaper than a DC for a week, with a much larger variety of activities.) I also generally dislike going to the same place for vacation since there's so much of the world to explore, so it was a huge deal for me to sign up for next year before the week was even over! They truly have the family vacation down to a science (or an art?), and this was the first family vacation on which I have truly felt relaxed 99% of the time. (The other 1% was to and from the airport, hahaha.)

I found myself glaring at the clock tonight as I imagined the next week's guests in MY cabin, eating MY dinner, frolicking in MY clean, crisp air, riding on MY tandem bicycle. (Did I mention my four-year-old went gaga over the tandem bike? Or that my daughter caught 4 fish? Or that you never have to worry about putting sunscreen or bug spray on your kids because the counselors do it for you!!??)

Kudos to the Tyler family for creating a truly exceptional vacation spot. I'm so glad I stumbled across the place on Google, as most of the other new guests were brought there at the recommendation of their friends. We are already looking forward to next year's Week 2!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank fredandkell
Caitlin P, Marketing Assistant at Tyler Place Family Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Thank you so much for the review - we're glad you found us, too! It's always nice to hear from our new guests that you felt welcomed and are already so eager to return. It can sometimes take a few days to get into the swing of things, but it sounds like you and your family made the best of your week here right from the start. If only we could make that trip to the airport a little smoother for a 100% stress-free vacation!

Thanks again, safe travels, and we'll see you next summer.

TP Marketing Assistant

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 1 June 2014

BEST FAMILY VACATION EVER! We just got home from our ninth annual trip there. There are incredible meals, daily housekeeping, and a myriad of activities offered for ALL ages. You can also choose to do nothing and just relax. We've always chosen a private cottage, but there are a variety of accommodations from which to choose. There is a good balance of family time and "group" time for the kids, and everyone makes new friends. The staff is amazing, and very eager to make sure everyone enjoys their vacation. The resort's website is very comprehensive and makes it very clear what guests should expect. Read it all before you book. (And book way out - they fill up.) If you want a true camp experience but want to feel spoiled, this may be the place for you. We always take a true technology break and enjoy the fresh Vermont air, hiking, swimming in Lake Champlain, kayaking, playing "capture the flag," and other activities. A lot of the guests come from the northeast (Boston, New York, etc.) but there are others like us who come from long distances. It is worth the effort to get there, and we can't imagine a summer without the Tyler Place. We look forward to that week all year!

Room Tip: Each accommodation has its own unique advantages. Rooms at the Inn are convenient and cheaper. Some...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank shaw5604
Caitlin P, Marketing Assistant at Tyler Place Family Resort, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Hi shaw5604,

Thank you for your kind words - and for making the long trek to get here each year! We strive to provide a balance between family time and group time (which, of course, means time for parents to do nothing, as you mention, or choose from the many activities available to them). I'm glad it works for you and your family - and has for many years. Glad you can truly "unplug" here, too! Safe travels and we'll see you next summer.

TP Marketing
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We vacationed at Tyler Place for 11 years, and barely ventured on other vacations because each person in the family knew this would be a true "vacation". There are adventures, activities and food for each person's liking. If you don't see what you want, ask. At Tyler Place, a family-run resort for families, it's about building friendships. Each of our family members still keeps in touch with friends we made at the Tyler Place, and there are many, including the Tyler's themselves.

We stayed in a variety of accommodations over the years and key is finding the one that works for your family, which may change as your family matures. We have tried every activity and enjoyed all. The staff is carefully picked and trained for the guests, and the staff is "happy", which means they are treated well and, in turn, treat the guests well also.

If you read the few "terrible" reviews, my takeaway is this type of vacation is just not for them. Give it a few days the first visit for the children to get adjusted, then they will happily go to their group while you get to participate in adult activities before joining together for the afternoon. The only challenge we had was that we all didn't want to miss a thing, rendering us tired as the days went on. Relaxing together by the pool or on the waters of Lake Champlain solved that when the kids were young.

Room Tip: The Inn rooms were great when the kids were a bit older and stayed up later, hanging out downstairs...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Travel_BLC
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 March 2014

My wife and I have brought our kids to the Tyler Place every year for nine years running. While no place is perfect, it's really hard for me to imagine a better vacation. We always say that we spend the other 51 weeks of the year counting down to our week at the Tyler Place, which is the highlight of the year, EVERY year.

I was prompted to write because I just read the review by "h m" from Chicago, Illinois. I didn't even recognize the Tyler Place I know and love in that review. Caitlin's statement that not every vacation is for everyone is true, but far too charitable a response to h m. I can imagine people for whom the Tyler Place is not ideal -- if you're city-folk, and bored on a vacation without glitzy entertainment or something like that. But to not even at least be able to appreciate great and wholesome food, beautiful surroundings, outstanding kids' activities, the opportunity for downtime in a hammock looking at a beautiful lake, and no end of activities in a pool or lake, on a bike or the side of a mountain, or in an AIR-CONDITIONED lounge with a view of children playing in front of a bay on Lake Champlain? In all of my years at the Tyler Place, I've never met anyone who disliked it there. That's probably why such a high proportion of the Tyler Place's guests are repeat customers.

We just took the kids (9, 4, and 4) to Disney World. They loved it, but all three of them said, without hesitation, that they would rather go to the Tyler Place. And so would my wife and I for reasons I cannot begin to list, including, shockingly, that it's probably less expensive than a week at Disney now.

I don't know what h m's problems were, but it sounds like someone looking for excuses to hate their vacation. I'm not surprised to hear that h m was dragged to a family reunion that he/she didn't want to go to. I myself can't wait to go back to the Tyler Place this year, and every year until I get to bring my grandkids there. The Tyler Place is all that, and more -- our little slice of paradise.

Room Tip: If some of the accommodations seem prohibitively expensive, choose less expensive ones. Wherever yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank JASCherryHill
TheRedCloverInn, Marketing Assistant at Tyler Place Family Resort, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thanks so much for your review, and of course, years of loyalty to the Tyler Place. We appreciate you clarifying some of the inaccuracies others have mentioned (I'm sure you enjoy the air-conditioned lounge as much as I do) and also for reporting back on your family's opinion after trying out another popular family vacation spot.

You've effortlessly summed up the aspects of the Tyler Place that we strive to provide year after year: fun for the whole family, delicious food, time to unwind.. a fully stress-free experience in an idyllic location. We look forward to welcoming you back to your "slice of paradise" again soon!

Richmond, Vermont
Reviewed 18 January 2014

2013 was our second summer at The Tyler Place, and we will be returning for our third this year!!
Tyler Place does an outstanding job at making both the kids AND the adults happy - and from speaking with friends who have gone to other family camps, this is not always the case.

Accommodation:
Before you book this trip, you really must realize that this resort is in the northern most part of VT. (You literally look at the border of Canada when you make the turn off on the highway.) The High Gate Springs point used to be small family cottages, which were rustic, and have been converted into the various accommodations. Frankly, you will not spend much time in your room. We have consistently stayed in Partridge. It is extremely close to everything, very clean, and has everything we need. Our favorite part is the screened in porch, which we have utilized during nap times, and in the evening. You may encounter an insect or two(which frankly does not bother us at all), and aesthetically, your place will NOT look like the W hotel. That is the point. You are supposed to be on vacation, at camp, to be away and to relax, and find a side of yourself that you may not remember. There are no TVs, little cell phone reception - which frankly I find fabulous!

Food:
Outstanding! There are many many local foods, cheeses, meats, beverages, and the TP has made a true commitment to the localvore movement. Every meal is buffet style, and the desserts are my guilty pleasure. The salad bar is fabulous, and the choices each meal are varied and well crafted. One of my children is a picky eater, and I am GF. Jeff and the kitchen staff bend over backwards to make sure you have choices, and there is no way you will go hungry. One cool trick I learned with the bar - you are able to "cork" your bottle of wine from night to night. And each day there is a 5$ cocktail special. Hector makes a mean drink and I cannot recommend the Maple Mojito enough!! (Made with local alcohol).

Activities:
My husband and I are active people. The idea of sitting on a beach and doing nothing does not really appeal to us in any way, so we both love the plethora of opportunities and activities each day. We have done everything from yoga to the ropes course (hilarious fun as well), bike rides, art projects, and cooking. My husband and a few friends have organized early morning golf trips to a local course. I have spend mornings reading by the pool. If you have an idea for something you wish to do, you can simply post a note on the activity board, and find a person to do it with. This is how I met one of my closest friends!

Through the activities, should you choose to do them (it is totally ok NOT to), you inevitably make friends. Personally, I LOVE this aspect of the TP. I like meeting people, sharing stories, laughing. Typically, once you "get" a week, you and your fellow guests return to the same week. What makes this great is that you essentially vacation with the same people each season. The first night is truly fun, and it is nice to catch up with each other. No matter what type of personality you have, you can find someone of the same nature as yours.

Each day from 8:30 am- 1:30 PM, and again from 5:30-8:30, kids participate in group. While I can understand where some may feel apprehension about leaving their kids for so long each day - I can tell you that they RUN to group each day, and talk about it ALL YEAR!!!! They LOVE it. The time in group is well structured, attentive, and fun. There is opportunity for gross motor and fine motor activity. Each evening is centered around a theme: Pirate night, barn night, carnival night, etc.

One thing I observed about both of my children's experiences is that they have the opportunity (not forced) to try new things that they might not normally do. The first summer, I saw my older child's confidence grow and his sense of pride and accomplishment soar. Last summer, he was able to try the large climbing wall and almost made it to the top. My younger son had a 1:1 caregiver our first year, and I want to tell families with younger children that THIS part is truly wonderful. The caregiver was prompt, kind, took pictures of our child doing things and texted them to us, and was extremely conscious of all of our child's needs. Two years later, our youngest, who was just barely 2 at the time, still talks about his 1:1! My 5 year old son says his favorite parts about TP are, "Going down the big blue water slides. Riding my bike everywhere. I like the boat dock, and the trampolines!!!"

Evening entertainment is offered each evening from 9:30-??? You can hire a sitter (usually one of the counselors from your child's group). We are not big night owls, but you MUST go to the magician/card shark, Chris! He is amazing. Also fun is trivia night - not your typical bar event for sure!!

Feedback:
The staff and owners are extremely open to feedback. When they say they want to know if anything is truly bothering you, they really do! I had to approach the camp staff about a small issue. The change and difference between morning pick up and afternoon drop off was night and day - the response was immediate and the problem never returned. I asked for ice for my water, I was given a bag to put in my room. I needed a bandaid - I got pretty much an entire first aid kit. My kid wet the bed - they were over asap to change his sheets so he could nap after group. It is clear that some guests who have written here did not feel comfortable asking for help or problem solving an issue they may have had. The Tylers are more than willing to help and fix whatever you need.

Hints:
A few thoughts for first timers:
This place is casual all day. It is ok to wander around in shorts, exercise gear, etc. Just no wet suits in the dining room. People typically "dress" up for dinner. This means a sun dress, or white jeans and a nice sweater for women and kakis and a nice shirt for men.

While almost everything is included in the all-inclusive, there are a few things that cost more but not a lot by any means. These include gas water activities (waterskiing, etc), booze, massage services, etc.

Park your car! You can walk or ride a bike (given free to you and all of your family members) everywhere.

Final Thoughts -
If you want to have fun, play, have time with your spouse to actually talk, quality family time with oodles of opportunities/activities to do, resources galore, and you like fresh air, good food, in a simple, care-free natural setting, this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Many of the accommodations are large houses divided up into smaller spaces for families. If you KNOW...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank E M
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This family camp was OK for my four year old. Activities were similar to what kids get at any Y summer camp. The college students working in the restaurant and as camp councilors were really sweet.

I understand this place has a faithful stream of repeat guests. But therein also lies part of my main objection with this resort. My biggest disappointment was the management team's inability to deal with complaints/suggestions for improvements. The owner family is obviously complacent, and I definitely recognize their attitude of "Well, we can't please everyone..." in their response to the guest review “Not a relaxing "vacation"... just a trip to a day camp”.

If we had lived within a couple of hours driving distance, we might have considered going back.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Anna B
Caitlin P, Marketing Assistant at Tyler Place Family Resort, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
As you mentioned, we do have a steady stream of families who return to the Tyler Place year after year. But we love welcoming new families in to this group, and seeing them make Tyler Place one of their traditions as so many others have. Something that many of our guests appreciate is, in fact, our attention to detail concerning their comments, and the improvements (large & small!) we make each year.

Each week, every single family who stays with us has the opportunity (which 90% of them take) to fill out a questionnaire with their comments, concerns and suggestions (in addition to the opportunity to approach staff members with questions or issues during their visit). We then take these guest questionnaires, along with online reviews and other comments, into consideration when making repairs to our property throughout the winter season, and when planning for the next summer’s scheduling and activities.

Another aspect many of our guests have noted is the fact that at the Tyler Place, guests interact with the Tyler family frequently throughout their stay, and meet the owners themselves at various social events. Not only is the owner family very present, they are actively involved in guest activities and daily operations in all areas of the resort.

Like we’ve said before, our guests’ opinions and suggestions are the impetus behind the additions and improvements to our property and programs each year. We do appreciate any input.

TP Marketing Assistant
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This past summer we spent a week at Tyler Place. I had heard about Tyler Place from a colleague and it sounded like it was well worth a visit. We went towards the end of July and were lucky to have 7 gorgeous days of weather on beautiful Lake Champlain.

ROOMS:
We stayed in ferncroft A which is a 2-bedroom in a victorian. I had heard that it was rustic so I wasn't expecting much but I was very pleasantly surprised about the decor. Our 2 bedroom was huge with a large living room, kitchen, 2 big bedrooms and a small bath, plus air-conditioning!. The kitchen, though compact, was equipped with everything you'd need, and even had nearly a full-size fridge. The best part of the kitchen was the view out back- very lush and green. The rooms were SPOTLESS and every morning the cleaning crew did a full deep clean. Ferncroft is one of the more affordable accommodations and a short bike ride to the main inn. Its best to stay here if your kids are comfy on bikes or OK with riding on a tandem. With smaller kids it may be easier to stay closer to the main inn in one of the cottages, which is what we plan to do this upcoming summer.

FOOD & DRINK:
The food was really good- everything was local and fresh. There is a lot of variety in the menus. I especially liked the lobster night! Big treat. The bartenders are great and the drinks are very reasonably priced. They also have a good wine list and you can save your bottle for the next meal if you don't finish it.

KIDS ACTIVITIES:
This truly is the best kids camp. My kids are pre-K and 1st grade, and on vacation they generally like to hang with us, so it was important that the kids camp was outstanding. I was so impressed with the staff that they hired, and the extensive and creative outdoors and indoor programs that the kids were in all day. My son is a little more introverted and he had a great time, but in particular what made me happy is that there is no pressure from the counselors to do any activity the kids are not into (or not ready for) Their approach is very laid-back and kid-directed which is nice. My daughter who is more extroverted adored her counselors and activities. And at the end of every night they are beat! My kids also don't like babysitters but the nights we did go out they happily had their counselors stay with them. Really top notch staff! We had breakfast with the kids every morning and then dropped them off before 9 am so they would be on time for the first "on-the-go" activity in their group.

ADULT ACTIVITIES:
Loved the canoe trip, taking out the hobie cats, swimming, cocktail parties and trivia nights. Tyler Place allows a lot of choice. You can be in a group if that's your thing or you can go on your own and explore. My husband rented a little fishing boat for the week and took it out every morning.

OTHER THINGS TO KNOW:
Its a very friendly and social place! At least the week we attended, it was like attending a destination wedding where everyone doesn't know each other but are there for the same thing. Dress is casual, people tend to avoid "work talk", and people are appreciative to be able to enjoy the unique "summer camp" experience. It it definitely not a cheap vacation but it is a very good value for your dollar!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Venise-en-Quebec
Point Au Roche Lodge
Point Au Roche Lodge
#1 of 5 in Plattsburgh

Been to Tyler Place Family Resort? Share your experiences!