“A refuge for the soul”
Review of Windekind Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Huntington
Windekind Farm
Ranked #1 of 2 Huntington B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My experience with Windekind farms goes back to 2001 when Mark and Marijke started out on what has been a life enhancing journey. They decided to share their love of Windekind with the rest of us fortunate enough to have found this jewel tucked away in the mountains of Vermont. My deceased wife and I have stayed at the Farm over a dozen times and came to regard it as a second home. It is indeed a refuge for the soul. Not only is the location beautiful and nourishing, but the Smiths are very special people. Mark and Marijke instinctively strike the right balance between allowing for privacy and sharing information about the area and themselves. They have become dear friends who have a unique combination of Yankee character, urban sophistication and New Age compassion and awareness. The Farm has developed organically as an outgrowth of who they are and the values they hold dear. It is indeed much more than a place to vacation. It is a place to be.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Markley-4, Owner at Windekind Farm, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2015

Hello Barry,

My all time favorite review, you capture all our inspirations and then some.

Stay inspired and we will do the same.

Mark and Marijke

Reviewed 30 June 2013

I recently spent three nights in the studio at Windekind Farms, and I can't say enough about how perfect it was. I was looking for a comfortable, cozy place to spend my evenings while on vacation from Boston (days were spent hiking all of Vermont's 4,000-footers) and did a lot of research before making my choice. Based upon the reviews of other travelers and the pictures on the website, I expected Windekind to be nice--but it outlived even my lofty expectations. As others have said, the owners, Marijke and Mark, are warm and welcoming while still respecting their guests' privacy, and the pictures simply do not do justice to the charm and comfort of the accomodations. On the final night of my stay, Mark took me around for a quick peek inside both Breidablick Cottage and their still-under-construction third building (Campanula), so I can say with complete confidence that you cannot go wrong, no matter which building you choose. In short, if you are traveling to Vermont and looking for a cozy (and surprisingly affordable) place to call home, you simply will not find a better place than Windekind. If you're on the fence, don't be. Book it. You'll love it.

Room Tip: Each cottage offers something different. The studio is nice and cozy and meant for a single person...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank James8909
Reviewed 10 June 2013

When you first travel up the dirt road that is Bert White Road, you begin to have thoughts that you may have taken a wrong turn or be headed into the middle of nowhwere. However, just as those thoughts cross your mind, you head down a hill and turn a little corner and discover that you have arrived in paradise!! This is a hidden gem that you do not want to miss if you are looking for beautiful unspoiled Vermont and peace and quiet. Marijke greeted us along with their Lab, Assa, upon our arrival and she sent her husband, Mark, to show us around. We walked to the pasture to meet the lovely cows that spend their summer on the farm and got settled into the studio, which is over a little barn. The studio was quite comfortable for a couple and had everything we needed. We had our motorcycle with us for touring the area and Mark insisted that we park it in the little barn so we didn't have to load it into the trailer each night and he even parked his tractor outside so that there would be room, which we greatly appreciated. Mark was happy to suggest routes that we might like to explore during our stay and the folder that we received upon our arrival recommended restaurants and grocery stores. We traveled to Burlington on two evenings for dinner and it wasn't a bad drive. Someone had turned our lights on for us on one of the days that we returned quite late and it was much appreciated. Mark has an impressive model railroad and you must ask to see his trains - he is preserving history and it is quite fascinating. They are building a third "cottage" on the property, which will be the largest and it has the most amazing view of the mountains and pasture. We can't wait to return to the farm to explore some more of Vermont's country roads and hopefully get a ride on Mark's railroad if the weather cooperates next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed 2 nights in this very charming little studio. Located on a farm, it is a bit isolated if you are looking to go out at nights (which we did not). Hiking trails are available directly from the site. The owner, Mark, was extremely helpful and friendly, showing us all the good spots to go ski and even giving us a map of Vermont. We had a lovely stay and can wait to come back! I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ouimet_marie
Reviewed 31 January 2013

the title basically says it all, but Windekind is simply an amazing place. My husband and I stayed in the studio for our honeymoon in Augutst 2012, and we couldn't have asked for a more wonderful four days than the ones we spent there. The farm is surrounded by the mountains, and the night sky is perfect for stargazing (especially since we're from NYC)- though you'll want to bring a flashlight since it's almost impossible to see otherwise. The grounds there are amazing- the ponds, the perfectly tended flowers, the rustic homes, the cows, and of course, the trains (definitely ask Mark about them- you'll get an education on locomotives you've never dreamed of and you'll get to take a ride too!). There are some great and easy hiking trails right off the grounds, but Windekind is also a five minute drive from Camel's Hump State park, which provides an awesome and somewhat challenging five mile hike. Though a little remote, we were about a forty five minute drive from Burlington and lake Champlain. The accommodations were extremely comfortable and the studio is very spacious considering its size and Mark and Marijke were awesome and very friendly and helpful. Heads up, though, we didn't have cell phone service (which we viewed as a plus), but we did have Wifi and the cabin has a phone for local calls, so we weren't completely cut off. We're definitely planning on returning- a truly wonderful get away.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We stayed 5 nights in the studio October 2012- my wife, me and our dog. The setting was absolutely beautiful- every morning we'd take off with our little dog into the surrounding hills. The weather wasn't always the greatest, but we had a great time nonetheless.

Mark and Marijke, super nice folks, had lots of great suggestions for hikes beyond the farm: e.g. Little River State Park, the Long Trail, Camel's Hump.

Mark's railway workshop was astounding! What incredible work!!

The studio was very comfortable- be sure to close your door solidly, or you'll have a visitor in the night: Elsa the Lab. What a nice dog!!! The oven does take a bit of getting used to, but there is also a microwave.

The location is ideal- just a short drive to all kinds of hiking trails, Burlington, Waterbury, Stowe, etc. And if a scenic drive is your thing, Mark will steer you in the right direction.

We're hoping to get back in the winter for some cross-country skiing.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed for 4 days in the studio with our dog. We had no real plans for our visit, but had an absolutely amazing time. The studio itself was the perfect size for the two of us and our dog (+ Elsa when she came over to visit). Decor was charming, the bed and pillows were super comfortable, and the view out the bedroom window first thing in the morning is just breathtaking. I currently have a picture that I took out the window as my computer screen saver...just gorgeous.
The grounds of the farm are stunning, and the trails around the property are beautiful and fun to hike. We actually got engaged underneath the archway in the owner's front yard. Our photos are just beautiful. :)
Mark gave us a folder with some area highlights and a map of the trail around the property, both of which we put to good use. We had dinner one night at Sonoma Station---check hours of operation before going...they're strange---but the food was absolutely phenominal. The little market (I forget the name) that's nearby was the perfect place to grab a snack or some local treats.

Overall, we had an amazing time at Windekind and wouldn't hesitate to go back. Maybe for our honeymoon :)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate D

Been to Windekind Farm? Share your experiences!