“Perfect weekend!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hyde Park B&B and Inns
Oldenburg, Indiana
“Perfect weekend!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I am a consulting engineer and recently had a business opportunity in the scenic Green Mountains of Vermont. Best of all my wife could travel with me and so I knew that my typical accommodations for business would not do! The description and reviews for Governor's House were exactly what I was looking for. We arrived with high expectations and were not disappointed in any way! The charming house, fabulous, quiet location, comfortable room were second to none. But what sets this place apart is the proprietor; Suzanne. Her charm, and warmth are surpassed only by her commitment to making all of her guest feel welcome and comfortable. She helped keep my wife occupied while I was working and makes the most delicious breakfast! (That's right folks; a REAL bed and breakfast! Not the bed with the tacky voucher for the local greasey spoon! Suzanne prepares everything!!!)

I could go on but suffice it to say that you will not be disappointed in any aspect of your stay with Suzanne at the Governor's House. I travel 250 days/year and this is one of my favorite stays; bar none. Have fun!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Garden Room that is separate from the main house. Very quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

We arrived in Hyde Park in the late afternoon, and the first thing we saw was a young couple having a real English tea and cakes in the library. We had decided to splurge and reserved the Governor's Bedroom which was glorious!
But the breakfasts are what will stay in mind - not just the terrific and imaginative food but the diverse people we met. A couple about to be married, people from Canada, England, Ireland... A real treat!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 30 September 2013

There are many things to enjoy about the Governor's House in Hyde Park.

First and foremost, the charm of owner Suzanne Boden. Not only is she knowledgeable on very many subjects, but able to direct you to some of the best experiences around Vermont and the surrounding area. She is also a wonderful cook, serving up not only wonderful breakfasts but (as part of our Elope to Vermont package) a fabulous dinner and strawberry-filled wedding cake as well. Each morning's breakfast featured a different, yet equally delicious, muffin. Frankly, they were the best I've ever had.

Suzanne is also very committed to running her Bed & Breakfast in an environmentally sensitive manner, which is yet another reason to stay for those committed to living green. While she runs the entire 8-bedroom B&B on her own, she still finds time to pamper and accommodate her guests.

The house itself is elegant, clean, and comfortable; situated in a neighborhood where you can treat yourself to some wonderful scenery (and photo opportunities) with just a quick walk down the adjoining streets. Surrounding buildings include a historic church and opera house.

For those who are handicapped, you will find Vermont a bit challenging, as most places do the bare minimum to accommodate the mobility impaired. The Governor's House is an exception, even more accessible than some of the major hotels which claim they are accessible. The suite we stayed in had a built in shower seat, grab bars, and an outside ramp leading directly to the room.

As I mentioned, we booked the Governor's House "Elope to Vermont" package. Suzanne took care of arranging for the licensing and JP; and provided a wonderful dinner and very tasty heart-shaped wedding cake for our wedding night dinner. We stayed an additional night as well, which I would recommend for anyone taking advantage of this package.

Considering the price and value of a stay at the Governor's House compared to other hotels in the area, I highly recommend staying there. Suzanne clearly enjoys what she does, and has more stake in her B&B and the care of her guests than any hotel manager could.

Room Tip: Mobility Impaired guests should make sure to ask for the Garden Room.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Had a terrific stay at this historic and thoroughly comfortable Bed and Breakfast. The house and surroundings are lovely; felt like another world, another time! Pleasant room, delicious food and for us a Jane Austen-themed weekend of tea, discussion, trivia and country dancing! Highly recommended for a fun, rejuvenating weekend away from it all...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hana D
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My mother and I joined the Jane Austen in-character weekend a few weeks ago...as a way to bring my 30th year. We didn't know what to expect, and after having spent the summer preparing our dresses (and Regency manners), our expectations were completely fulfilled. We met a crew of other lovely ladies and the house is absolutely gorgeous - we stayed in the Blue Room. Suzanne is a superb cook and was very gracious to accommodate our dietary restrictions (vegan and vegetarian). The activities were lovely and I can't wait to go back and learn more. The real surprise was the turban making workshop - such fun!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Tega Cay, South Carolina
Reviewed 4 September 2013

What a lovely, impeccably kept historical home! After a day spent driving around beautiful Vermont, we walked in the front door hearing beautiful classical music that invited us to enter, relax and soon, to enjoy a tea that increased a lovely pampered feeling. Suzanne is enthusiastic and so should be. This is a grand old home and we would recommend it to anyone who would like to rest after a wonderful day.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I was here for the Jane Austen character weekend. The weekend provided many activites to keep busy and good company. The food was amazing and Suzanne was a great host as always.... Looking forward to my trip next year!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
#2 of 22 in Stowe
Green Mountain Inn
Green Mountain Inn
#1 of 24 in Stowe

Been to Governor's House in Hyde Park? Share your experiences!