“Fun Resort for Famlies” 5 of 5 bubbles

Smugglers' Notch Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Jeffersonville
“Fun Resort for Famlies”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2008

My husband, three kids and I just returned from our second stay at Smuggs. We stayed in a three bedroom Eagles unit (which I believe in one of the newer units) and our accommodations were great! Our kids were in the Nature and Hiking camp and Sound and Stage camps and they had a great week. My husband and I did the Water and Wine tour (canoe down to a local winery and have cheese, bread and sample wines and then are driven back to the resort ). My husband also went mountain biking and went fishing with our son. The girls and I attended a beading class which was fun. As a family (after the camps) we all went horseback riding together as well as playing tennis and going to the driving range---and swimming, too. It was an action packed week despite really crummy weather. This resort has it all---nice accommodations, camps for the kids, alone time for the adults and then time for the whole family together. All the employees we encountered were extremely nice. Be sure to take the drive to Stowe---a real twisty mountain road with incredible rock formations---pictures don't do it justice. If you're interested in horseback riding, try Brewster Ridge stables---super nice people and a great trail ride through forests and pastures. We will probably head back to Smuggs again next summer.

• Liked — super clean and well maintained unit
  • Disliked — being on the ground floor---people walking past our enclosed porch windows while we're eaitng or talking
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2008

We just got back from Smuggs last night and had a fantastic time! We were allowed to check in a couple hours early which was nice since we didn't expect to according to other reviews here. We had rented a crib and they had it all set up and ready for us upon arrival.

We really studied the layouts and details of each condo and chose Villmarksauna with 2 bedrooms and it was so spacious and immaculate! It's definitely dated decor but nothing as bad as I heard from other reviews, at least ours wasn't. It's definitely more along the lines of dorm furniture but still very nice. It was very well stocked, we had brought toilet paper and paper towels and dish soap and all since we are used to staying in timeshare places but didn't even need to open them, they had supplied way more than enough. The one con with this condo is no elevator (I'm not sure any of them do) so the 3rd floor was a hike with luggage but they did offer to provide staff to help. There was even a sauna right outside our condo door on the 3rd floor, which was basically like a private sauna since no one else had used it the whole week.

I really liked being along the creek/river as opposed to right in the middle of the Village which would have made it very difficult for our daughter to nap during the day. But if you are looking to be right in the action then it would be fine. North Hill area was very nice and much newer but after seeing it I think it would have made it very difficult for us to get to where we needed to go with young kids everyday. Although they do have the shuttle that is oncall everyday and could take you to everything, we hadn't used it though.
We rented a golf cart there for a week instead and it made it very easy to get everywhere and was fun for the kids.

There are grills everywhere! They are outside almost every condo so definitely plan on grilling, everyone seemed to use them.

The food was very expensive, which is typical for a resort. The store is very limited but did have basics but I would plan on bringing most things you might need if possible. Even outside the resort it's mainly little markets so a tiny bottle of detergent cost me over $9. But other than the food almost everything is included at the resort so it's not terrible in the big scheme of things. Oh and Angelina's pizza delivers there for free and we found it MUCH better than the resort pizza and it was at our door in about 30 minutes.

My 5yo son LOVED camp and had a blast, he woke up everyday reminding me that "this is the best place ever!" Our daughter is just under 2yo and enjoyed a couple days at Treasures, which is an amazing facility with fantastic staff! We even hired them for babysitting one evening so my husband and I could go to the Hypnotist show and to the lounge. The babysitting fees were less than we pay at home and it was nice to be able to walk home!

I would definitely recommend the Llama Trek, our 5yo LOVED this! It was really great! We also loved the Magic show and Mad Scientist shows as well. Even the Pirate breakfast was very cute! They have so many activities every day that it is difficult to get it all in in a week, and there is very little that we wanted to miss!

We went to Stowe one day and found some cute shops and also did the gondola ride there which was amazing! The kids REALLY enjoyed that! As a tip though, we bought the lunch package but when we got up there we hadn't realized it was a bit more formal dining so the children's menu was very limited ($8 for a PB&J) and they had no changing table and were out of all the highchairs, and it wasn't busy at all! So I would do the gondola ride again but skip the lunch up top or bring your own and picnic.

The Notch is a must to drive through in the summer, it's really neat and a ton of areas to park along the side and hike and site see.

The pools were fantastic at Smuggs as well. My son loved Notchville Park the most but Mountainside was a close second...I liked the hot tubs at Courtside though! We also got a pass to the North Hills indoor pool which was amazing! Perfect on rainy days...which we had a lot of! Our weather was cool but the water in every pool was heated so other than during the thunderstorms nothing stopped due to rain.

Rum Runner's Hideaway was fun too. We drove to the bottom and then took about a 10 min walk up to it, definitely a steep walk but easy enough for my 5 year old. We rented a paddle boat there and it was nice. The water was way too cold for me in June to dare to go in but others were doing the trampoline and all and had a blast.

So basically I would say this is the perfect vacation for little ones, especially over age 3 since the camps for them are included in the price, but it's hard to find a place so accommodating to the "under 3 crowd" as well. Even the FunMeister arcade area had a whole section designated to their tiny guests with blocks and dolls and baby strollers and puzzles and books, even a glider to sit and feed your child a bottle or nurse. They really thought of everything with this place. We are not the most active people and had never hiked in our lives so we were hesitant going from our typical beach vacation to this but it was definitely worth every penny!

We did the timeshare discount and never thought going into it that we would be considering a timeshare in Vermont but now we are! It's the perfect vacation for families. The families we spoke to there that had bought the timeshare were also those with preteens/teenagers since they all begged to come back as well. They have a ton for them to do and they enjoy the freedom from their parents as well.

Overall I would rate it a 10! I would definitely do your research with the condo you choose but they make it easy with all the layouts and maps right on their website. And their staff was so courteous from booking the vacation (I had even called about 4x with questions) right to check out. Every single staff we ran into there went above and beyond to make our stay perfect!

I had read the reviews here in depth before booking and was a little scared to commit to going at first but I weaned out the ones that were not in reference to the summer programs as well as the guests that did not have young children.

We will definitely be going back, probably in 2 years so my daughter can enjoy the camps as well.
The only negative things I could say are no elevators, no changing tables in some of the restrooms, and we had no cell service there. So all in all it was an A+ vacation!

• Liked — The Activities for Children
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank JMC11902
Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2008

Despite confirmation to the contrary before our departure, all the facilities were closed!!! We checked in Saturday night and left the next night, it was that bad. I've been to the resort during prime season and it was great, but off season with almost NO amenities open simply doesn't cut it for a family with young children.

Our family has previously been to Smuggler's Notch during prime season, and although the shared pools were a bit crowded, the overall stay was great, and the private pools for our area especially so. This time, however, we were told that everything was up and running, only to find (upon arriving from out of state after a 6-hour drive with both a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old) that nearly all the amenities were closed! Worse (and mind-boggling to me), the staff wasn't even apologetic! They just shrugged, and after saying "it's closed? I didn't know that" (maintenance had been extended for 2 weeks) then "well, I guess you could try something else instead," but wouldn't give me a list of alternatives, so as I interrogated them, admitted that one thing after another was closed (all restaurants but one, driving range, tennis, other pools, even local area attractions). They did have a mini-golf course open (9ish holes, but you can only do 2 rounds tops with a 3-year-old)--and someone had forgotten to unlock it--and a joyless "entertainment room" about 15'x15' with toys for children... but no windows, and a depressing place to spend any amount of time. We were most disappointed to find the heated indoor splash pool was closed, since it was cold and rainy. During our far-too-long-single-day at the resort, we did try the sole open pool--an outdoor lap pool--but that doesn't cut it for keeping two toddlers entertained! Everyone we bumped into while on the resort was either angry or asked us if we were--it seemed to be a very common topic on the resort that day. Our room was available to us for the entire week, and we left after less than 24 hours. The front desk people were unable to do anything for us, shrugged and gave an "oh well" look when we told them we were checking out after less than a day, and management has yet to return any phone calls.

• Liked — Fun during the summer, private pools are un-crowded
  • Disliked — Inaccurate info about (extensive!) facility closures; indifferent staff
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bored99
barbados
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2008

I use this website for all my travelling advise so thought it was finally time I paid back and wrote a review.

My husband, 4-year-old son, and I have just returned from this resort and have already booked again for next year.
What more can I say than it was fabulous!

I spend a huge amount of time researching our holidays, as living on a Caribbean island I feel it is very important for our son to enjoy different experiences. My husband and I are both former hotel executives so we are particularly fussy when it comes to hotel services. Smugglers’ Notch truly exceeded our expectations.
The Dynamos camp for our son was exceptional and the instructors very special (thanks Lyla!). My son could not wait to go each morning (a first).
None of us had ever worn a pair of skis (we are in our late 40s) and by Day 4, with the help of a guide, we were skiing together. A truly memorable time.
One of the reasons we chose this resort was because it appears to be all about family and having quality time togther—they certainly achieve that.
If you pay the extra and book the premium accommodation - it is 5-star and has all the frills but the rest of the resort is very relaxed—you can wear ski pants for dinner in any of the four restaurants if you feel inclined. Having said that, the food was fantastic—it would compete with any 4-star hotel but in a restaurant that serves a bucket of crayons and a workbook with the menus!

We took the new Jet Blue service from JFK (a 4-day-old plane) and 90 minutes later we were warmly esconsed in our comfortable condo.

The resort has a shuttle service to anywhere on the resort, which was exceptional—even those people with cars just parked them and used this facility because it was so efficient.

The Fun Zone for the children was just that....a huge expanse of indoor fun and sports. The only challenge of the day was getting the children out without a scene.

To summarize, I would say that Smugglers’ is a great, unpretentious family resort for people who appreciate friendly, efficient service, great food, and 5-star accommodation. Remember, I cannot comment on the skiing as I am a novice!!

We cannot wait for next year - Thanks Smuggs.

• Liked — light, airy and everything provided
  • Disliked — bath towel size!!
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Pippadee
Westchester County
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2008

We visited this resort on a timeshare exchange over the MLK weekend. We had a large two bedroom condo which was more then sufficient for my family of four. While not brand new, it was in very good shape and clean. The kitchen had everything we needed.

There is plenty to do right on the property. We are not experienced skiers but took lessons at the resort and the instructors were top-shelf. My daughters went skating and snow tubing (at night) and enjoyed both. The whole family went on a snow mobile tour one evening (in a snow storm) through Smuggler's Notch (highly recommended).

The property is large and spread out, but there are shuttle buses that run regularly and will come right to your door within a few minutes if you call-very convenient.

There are restaurants on site too. The Hearth & Candle is pretty good! Not cheap-but good quality. Bring supplies (because you are in the mountains and shopping is limited) but there is a store on site where you can get milk/drinks/beer and munchies.

Overall we had a great time and would certainly return.

• Liked — Everything was on site
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank bbmonster
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2008

We have just returned from a holiday at Smugglers Notch and cannot praise the place, the people enough.

As a holiday, this was one of the best we had as a family. Every member was catered for - from the youngest to the oldest - the skier, the snowboarder and the non-skier.

There was so much to do, our 11 days did not allow us to cover everything. We even stayed an extra night. and did not leave until the lifts closed on our last day.

Our accommodation was fantastic. In fact, the thought of returning home was the last thing we wanted. We stayed in North Hill and not a sound could be heard at night. - ensuring all had good nights sleep after a long day on the slopes.

Our 4 children loved every minute. The older ones did I must admit complain that the lifts were a bit slow. However, this was out weighed by the fantastic trails.

The on-site shuttle buses were a dream. One phone call and they were at your door within minutes.

The staff could not have been more helpful, friendly and courteous.

I am a non-skier and must say that I was not bored in this resort for one minute.

This is one holiday, that we as a family will fondly remember for a very long time. In fact, we are already talking about returning next year.

To the Staff at Smugglers Notch a very big THANK YOU. You should be proud of yourselves. You have made one family, very very happy.

3 Thank Irelandbob
massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2008

We spent the week between Christmas and New Years at Smuggler's Notch. It was a last minute booking and the condo we were in was dated and tired but ok, not great. Our check in seemed ok, until we learned later that they had forgotten to give us our SmuggsPass, which gets you into the FunZone etc. Went to the front desk and got them. We ate dinner at the Morse Grille once with the kids. They asked if we could eat at the condo instead. The resort only provides soap. Bring everything else. Also, the kitchen does not have any basics. You will need to bring salt, pepper, sugar etc. Plenty of plates, glasses, utensils and cookware.

The ski rental was an awful experience. In the winter, check in is at 6pm. The ski rental closes at 4pm. So at 8am the next day, everyone is trying to get their equipment. It took us 90 minutes! After that, we needed to get the kids to camp which proved to be difficult.

The kids participated in the camps all day every day and loved it! They are both able to ski. My 7 year old can come down from the top of the mountain! The people working at the camps were attentive and friendly.

I took the lessons that were included in the package. The instructors were very good and helpful. I never left Morse Mountain. My husband skied on both Madonna and Sterling and thought it was very good.

It snowed every day giving us really great skiing.

We went to the FunZone and the kids loved it. Never used the pool.

Despite the accomodations and the ski rental experience, we had a great time. The kids were happy and we were happy, even relaxed! If we go again (likely) I will stock the condo better than I did. A woman on the lift said she had called in the morning to see if they could check in early and they could, I will try that too.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank hd2000Mass
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jeffersonville
Stowe Mountain Lodge
Green Mountain Inn
Green Mountain Inn
#1 of 24 in Stowe
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,756 reviews

Been to Smugglers' Notch Resort? Share your experiences!